Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 AM

Default Mic Modeling/distance plug-ins?

I'm curious as to what people are using these days for mic modeling and putting distance on a recording track. I notice that this function is being built into certain types of plug-ins (like Amp Farm). It's actually part of a lot of a lot of amp modeling plug-ins. Also, other stand-alone products, like GigaStudio 3 have it.

I'm interested in something that models the distance aspect only, and doesn't add reflections, reverb, etc. Are there any current specific products out there for this, or are people by and large just running their program material entirely through general convolution plug-ins that are fairly dry?

There was Antares Mic Modeler, but Antares has announced that it wouldn't be developed for Intel Macs, so it's obviously on the road to being discontinued. Any other options? My primary use would be to put distance on relatively closely miced acoustic instrument samples.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Mic Modeling/distance plug-ins?

Well don't everyone post a reply at once!

I haven't really had call to do what you are trying to do, but given your question I am wondering what you are trying to achieve? My first instinct would be to use early reflections/room sound and possibly EQ to simulate distance, but this doesn't sound like what you are looking for.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:01 PM

Audioease is coming out with a new convolution called Speakerphone. Check it out.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-11-2006, 08:35 PM

You've probably tried this already, but: cheesy as it may be, the 'ambience' setting in D-Verb sometimes works for me to soften the close-mic'ed quality of tracks that have been, er, mic'ed close.

-Mike
Old 09-11-2006, 11:33 PM

too bad, mic modeler is very good....... its a "go to" for sound shaping..... i guess if you dont upgrade everytime someone comes out with a new version or model, you'd be fine.