Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Help me change a preference in Windows...??

I have a computer dedicated to Pro Tools not connected to the internet.
I have an internet computer that I'm using right now.

A while ago, I set a series of Windows XP PT tweaks recommended here. They seem to have helped my performance a bit...but I lost one function in the process and I can't figure out how to get it back.

In order to get finished products (mp3 radio commercials) into this computer from my audio computer so they can be ftp'd or e-mailed, I simply drag the mp3 file onto my CD-R/DVD-R icon and let Windows burn the CD...then I put the CD into this computer, copy the file and go from there.

Since I did the tweaks, I'm stuck with this problem:
After using Pro Tools my computer thinks there is "No disc in the drive" and I am unable to burn the file to CD UNLESS I then restart the computer. After restarting, the disc is recognized and the data CD can be made just fine.

Does anyone have a guess as to what preference or setting in Windows I need to change to get this function back? I've been putting up with restarting the computer after closing Pro Tools for a few months now, but time is money and I need that to stop now.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,

Murph

Old 02-08-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Help me change a preference in Windows...??

Murph,
There is a MS service (don't recall the name.. ) that deals with recognizing removable media.
You might have disabled it..check under Administrative tools >Services and try reset it to automatic or manual.
I would strongly suggest to install at least an OEM version of Nero. It is simple, solid and will update the ASPI layer with a good one.
cheers & good luck

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 02-08-2006, 02:21 PM

Why not just network the two computers?

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 02-08-2006, 05:56 PM

Try toggling the IMAPI CD Burning COM Service. It is one that is commonly turned off with the recommended tweaks and it controls the function you lost. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:24 AM

Forgive my ignorance on this one, but if my intentions are to keep my music computer off of the internet so that it doesn't have to have anti-virus apps, etc. installed...(maybe this is an "old-school" way of thinking...you tell me) then wouldn't networking the computers not be a good idea??

In other words, do you mean they can be networked without subjecting the PT computer to any internet vulnerabilities??

I thought networking them meant putting the music computer on-line.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 AM

Joe,
Thanks!
I switched it to 'Automatic' for type of startup (it was on Manual) and started it. It seems to be working after one test of the cycle.
I thought of that before but I had only "started" it...I never bothered to check the "startup type". Perhaps that worked.

Appreciate it....
Old 02-09-2006, 09:58 AM

You can indeed network two computers inside a router, with Network Address Translation turned on, without exposing one to the internet. But it's a pain in the butt to set up, and you have to turn on all that networking hardware and software that is best left disabled in a dedicated DAW.

Glad the CD thing is working for you again. If speed and convenience are an issue, though, have you considered getting a USB key for the transfers? Much faster, less fragile, and rewritable. They're dirt cheap now....

Take care,

GreyLion
Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 AM

Thanks Grey Lion for the valuable info re: networking...kinda what I thought and I think I'm going to leave it like it is.
As for the USB key...great idea. Think I'll pick one up today. Even thought the .32 CD method is pretty cost effective for me...this seems like it would be even faster, so good call. Thanks.

This forum is awesome. Not only is it fast ,always-useful Pro Tools information...way better than sitting on hold or e-mailing tech support...you guys also always have the best and fastest answers to Windows issues.
Accurate, fast, and FREE! Quite a rarity these days!
Just want to show my appreciation.

Cheers all!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:48 PM

I was talking more of using a USB or FireWire cable between the two computers and only sharing the folder or folders necessary. Shane knows all about this, maybe he'll "pop" in and explain it fully.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward