Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 09-09-2020, 06:53 PM

Default Re: ARA: They really just don't know how to do this, do they.

Heck even for post guys, being able to use Voc Align or Revoice via ARA to align loads of ADR vocals and different-language versions, and for music people to align things like doubled guitar tracks... it's not all about tuning vocals.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 09-10-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
As long as clip effects are Ultimate only I believe that the majority of 3rd party devs would see the market for them as too small to be worth chasing. I'm sure a couple would bite. Maybe McDSP or another company similarly invested in AAX DSP.
I didn't realise it is Ultimate only, thanks for pointing it out.
I suspect you are right, we won't see it anytime soon.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
As long as clip effects are Ultimate only I believe that the majority of 3rd party devs would see the market for them as too small to be worth chasing. I'm sure a couple would bite. Maybe McDSP or another company similarly invested in AAX DSP.
What are you talking about? You’re way overthinking this. The clip FX would just need to support AAX plugins and then there should be nothing for devs to do. It would be on Avid to make sure Clip FX functionality is the same as the insert bin. It would be the same as applying insert slots to clips.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:31 AM

It was mainly the overall UX - and by that i don’t mean the UI, which can be changed (although not convincingly), but rather the sum of a number of small annoyances that i just couldn’t get over...

Maybe if i spend way more time with it i could eventually customize it to my liking - but this implies a lot of trial and error and time... Honestly, i prefer spending this time making music (or reading a book, or going for a run) instead of fiddling endlessly with a piece of software.

That is just my own impression and opinion of course, i can totally see why many people like it though, especially if you like tinkering around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
Out of curiosity, what aspect of it was a dealbreaker for you? I know for most people it’s overwhelming as heck. There’s just so much that it does, and everything is customizable in different ways. It’s pretty much a DAW you can set up the way you’d like one set up. You decide what keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures to assign to which actions. You decide what buttons are on your top menu. You decide what it looks like. No I totally understand how the “too much choice“ angle can be offputting, but man, it’s a situation where patience is definitely rewarding.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
What are you talking about? You’re way overthinking this. The clip FX would just need to support AAX plugins and then there should be nothing for devs to do. It would be on Avid to make sure Clip FX functionality is the same as the insert bin. It would be the same as applying insert slots to clips.
Sounds like we're both making a lot of assumptions about a feature that doesn't exist. Clearly most plugin UIs are not designed to fit that clip-fx pane at the top of the screen. Maybe regular inserts could work as pop-out windows but otherwise many would have to be scaled or redesigned to fit.

How are the existing modules optimized so as not to overwhelm the host computer's resources?
Old 11-14-2020, 08:49 AM

Bumpidy-ARA-bump!
Old 12-14-2020, 08:11 AM

They integrated ARA silently but gave “Audio to Midi” only to us so far. I’m pretty sure the rest of the ARA features will follow bit by bit. Just to make some of the coming releases a little more interesting.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:30 AM

Default ARA: They really just don't know how to do this, do they.

Don’t try to make a player piano out of a reel to reel. There was a time when you had to manually use a razor on a block not too long ago to get your edits. Don’t expect to pick up the pieces after it been done through with a confetti machine. Be thankful for the functionality it has. If you think you’re so adept, pull the rabbit out of the hat with the tools at your disposal using multiple programs that can fulfill your task. Don’t knock the programmers for not pulling a rabbit out of your particular hat. Also, I wanted to add, that they even did that for with the audio to midi function. Playing ping pong from a programmers perspective would be like returning the serve. What’s in it for me? Don’t be surprised if they don’t offer you what you want at the price you’re willing to pay even if it has to come at the expense of using different programs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by spinsong; 12-14-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
DThere was a time when you had to manually use a razor on a block not too long ago to get your edits
No offence but that is lamest excuse I've ever read for not implementing ARA. There was a time when we had kill and forage for our food as well. Times change.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:58 AM

Default ARA: They really just don't know how to do this, do they.

Not too long ago don’t be surprised if you have an old soup bowl and wooden spoon now lame brain. Countless hits were made using that technique back then. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No offense. Any more serves? Not that one would want them. They also did away with many pinball machines back then called flippers. Doesn’t mean people are not still good at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by spinsong; 12-14-2020 at 10:36 AM.