Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2015, 08:34 AM

Default Nudge behavior is different in PT12?

I upgraded from 11 to 12.3 and the very common process of nudging MIDI notes is changed, or more likely a setting was changed and I've just been unable to find it. I did look at every menu, preference -- it's clearly just falling past me.

Here's the issue: if I use the Grabber to select individual MIDI notes I can then hit + or - on the number pad and those notes will slide by the nudge amount, as expected. That's how it worked in all version of ProTools. HOWEVER, when I select a series of notes with the Select tool, hitting + or - only slides the area I have selected, it doesn't actually move the MIDI notes earlier or later in time, which is what I want.

What am I missing? What got reset?
Old 11-14-2015, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Nudge behavior is different in PT12?

I have the same issue in PT 12.2

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 11-14-2015, 09:08 AM

I assume you're nudging in the edit window? It works with both selector and marquee tool in the MIDI editor here in 12.3.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 AM

Just to be certain, you are in notes view correct? If that's the case, does it still happen if you select the first note and then shift-select the last note?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-15-2015, 12:25 PM

Notes view, velocity view, etc. With previous versions of PT I could be in any mode where individual notes are shown (i.e. not as clips) and nudging with + or - would move the notes as expected.

I've changed nothing in PT12 but can't notes selected via the Selector tool to nudge.

If I select the entire length of the track I can nudge them, but that's useless when I'm looking to nudge small sections.

This is actually a big deal as much of our workflow is done by selecting bars and sliding them around.

Was something changed in PT12? Or am I just missing a setting to adjust this behavior?
Old 11-15-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
I assume you're nudging in the edit window? It works with both selector and marquee tool in the MIDI editor here in 12.3.
Edit window, yes. It doesn't matter if we select the first and last note. The only way to get MIDI notes to nudge via the Selector tool is by grabbing the very beginning of the clip (which might begin BEFORE the first MIDI note) and extending the selection beyond the end of the clip (which again might extend beyond the last MIDI note).

This is making MIDI editing difficult.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Edit window, yes. It doesn't matter if we select the first and last note. The only way to get MIDI notes to nudge via the Selector tool is by grabbing the very beginning of the clip (which might begin BEFORE the first MIDI note) and extending the selection beyond the end of the clip (which again might extend beyond the last MIDI note).

This is making MIDI editing difficult.
Eric, are you able to nudge a selection containing notes, WITH the notes, if you disable Automation follows edit? That's what happens here.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
Eric, are you able to nudge a selection containing notes, WITH the notes, if you disable Automation follows edit? That's what happens here.
I'm almost certain that I toggled that function but I'll check again. PT should nudge MIDI notes with that function on *or* off but let's find out what's causing the issue.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 AM

I can confirm that when "automation follows edit" is turned on MIDI notes cannot be nudged in either direction. Nudging merely moves the area which is highlighted.

Also, when automation follows edit is turned off it will move MIDI notes *and* the automation is affected, too.

It seems like neither behavior is quite correct.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:14 AM

Something is definitely a bit off. Thanks for the info. I'll do some more testing when time permits.