Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-09-2002, 11:33 PM

Default RECORDINGS ARTS?AUDIO DEGREE

I know there's alot of older poeple in here who make a living off audio engineering and/or other fields in audio and post.

Im young and just getting out of high school, alot of professionals at the studios i been to have told me that going to school really doesnt do much that a good couple of books and hands on training wont, and thats what i believe in

im an artist/producer...i want to get into audio engineering so i can either work at a studio or work my own studio one day, could i get a good scoop of advice from heads who've seen and experienced alot more things then me.

cus my plans right now are too read books on everything from audio enginerring to music buisness administration and also get some knowledge in graphic design and take a class in photography at a local college....and in a few years maybe head onto university to get some sort of degree in buisness

im not asking you guys for a direct answer cus there really isnt since the field is all about connections and talent, but some real life advice.

id really appreciate if you guys took this thread seriously, just imagine you had a chance to tell your-17year-old-self a few things from the future to the past....lol

thanks in advance

(excuse the typos)
Old 10-10-2002, 02:17 AM

Default Re: RECORDINGS ARTS?AUDIO DEGREE

I'm a 19 year old second year student in an Audio Recording program. I'm also a ex-unix system admin for a local ISP. I taught my self everything I know about computers. But for audio I chose to go to school. I'm glad I did primarily for the studios. There is a lot you can learn at home, and in books. But having that hands on in a room full of gear, in real sessions was a huge deal for me. I have a 6 hour session tomorrow night tracking a local band. It's hard to say if school is good or not. I love it and am glad I chose to take this path.

Here is a picture of my self (on the left) in school: http://www.nullpacket.net/~nate/draven/
Old 10-10-2002, 08:44 AM

not for nothing but...that hair!!!!!! haha!
Old 10-10-2002, 08:49 AM

but seriously...i work in a major studio here in atlanta for the last 3 years and i took a pro tools course just so i could get some individual hands on course work. it was worth it to me because i learn bette in a class environment, but in this field/life, you have to be able to learn on the fly and be quick about it. i learned about how to use aux sends and all sorts of normal everyday things in pro-tools that i can say have honestly been invaluable and if i didn't take that course i might STILL be lost...i highly recommend that if you can find a school that you feel comfortable at AND still afford, then go for it. and good luck man...
Old 10-10-2002, 08:56 AM

Yeah... Thats some slick hair production! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just picking!
Man, I sure wish I could afford school.
I have studied, and learned a TON on my own but to work in an established professional enviroment, and learn the ins, and outs would sure be informative.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:01 AM

Can you make a decent amount of money in Atlanta if you know PT well? Do you have to have a degree or do they just sit you down and see what you can do?

thanks
Old 10-10-2002, 09:17 AM

no doubt. but in the studio i work at, it's "learn what you can ,while you can, then come back when it's not busy and apply it..." in the class i went too, we were drilled hour after hour on things and it was just enjoyable and memorable too. major studios are going through a bad economy like everyone else so if you can get your foot in the door at a studio, then roll on it, but you'll probably have 90 days to figure it out and make yourself invaluable. after that 90 days, you either sunk or you swimming...make it happen. volunteer for those food runs, make youself useful and scrub BEHIND those ladies toilets(no, i'm NOT kidding). know this:if you don't get it done, there's some other kid waiting at that front door to do it for you.
and that's word to big bird...
ok. now, say after 90 days they ask you to stay on. celibrate silently inside of your heart and soul and then step up even more and do even more. that's what they really want to see, if you are going to slack off and if the quality of your work is going to suffer because you get to keep coming there FOR FREE...oh, i didn't mention that there's no dough involved? get over it...better hope for some tip money from those food runs, but don't hold your breath. after about a year and you get through the studio christmas party then you can start asking if there are any paid sessions where you might be able to assist on...and pray, keep your fingers crossd that there are and you MIGHT get it. but those guys/gals who have been there longer than you might get that gig so don't hate/don't get mad...it's all in the game.
when that day arrives were you actually do get a paid assistant gig, be there early to set up and be ready for whatever comes your way. THAT'S when you can say to yourself "this is what i came here for...this is why they kept me on, because i can do this...". and feel proud. get that 64 dollar assistant engineer check(you know, 8 bucks for 8 hours, more or less), and keep it...frame it, because they'll be few and far between...but this is what you're in the game for, and play to win...and keep an eye on that door. don't be a di**head and help the next guy/girl who comes through that door...it's all in the game...
Old 10-10-2002, 09:24 AM

to studiotony001... honestly,if you know pro tools and you have your own setup at your crib, you can get work out here. but not at a major studio...if they dont know you, you're better off looking for bands that need independent work and going that route. atlanta is nice, cheap, and the women are INCREDIBLE, but man, it's is a crab in a bucket mentality out here too. Zac recording does big things and the people there are cool. Tree sound out in norcross always has radio acts putting on concerts in there. Darp really doesn't exist anymore, just as a private facility.Patchwerk is a major playr here, but i heard they had a flooding problem, but that place is beautiful. get in wher you can fit in and make some of this brad out here...if you can find it. out here, you have to make your own luck...
Old 10-10-2002, 09:34 AM

I'm a firm believer that interning is the ONLY way to go if you want to be an engineer.

That said, if your real goal is to be a successful artist, I think engineering is a giant step in the wrong direction. Artists get paid for drawing an audience who will buy tickets and CDs. You can't build a fanbase working 14 hours a day, 6 days a week in a studio no matter who you are working with.

I'd be looking at what I could do to create the relationships with other performers that could lead somewhere. This often means relocating and could mean choosing a school where there are lots of performers. The more focused you can be on a specific goal at an early age, the better your chances are of achieving that goal or at least something closely related to it.