Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2001, 03:31 PM

Default Recording Fiddle

I don't record fiddle very often so I am asking those that do, what mic / mic placement recommendations can you make ( or any EQ tricks you might use ) I have a 414Buls, KM184, KSM32, AKG 460, and all the usual dynamic mics at my disposal. Preamps available are GreatRiver and API models. By the way, the tune is not a country tune, but a quazie pop tune. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2001, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Recording Fiddle

Try the KM184 throught an API. MY favorite setup is an original KM84 through an API 3124. I start by putting the mic right about where the neck joins the body of the fiddle. As with all mic placements, use your ears. (Or ear, actually. I stick my finger in one ear and listen to the instrument with the other. After all, the mic you are going to use is mono, right?)

------------------
Chris
[email protected]
Old 04-13-2001, 09:39 PM

CLanger has more experience recording fiddle than I do, but I do know one thing that works really well on fiddle: a pair of spaced KKM84s about 3' - 4' above and in front of the instrument.

The KM184 is brighter than the 84, so perhaps you need to put something absorbent nearby to mellow it out a little. Some API preamps tend to be on the hard and punchy side, while the Great River is supposed to be neutral. My instinct would be to try the GR first on violin.

Pure speculation about the preamps, though.
Old 04-14-2001, 05:26 AM

Hey Nick,

He said fiddle, not violin

------------------
Chris
[email protected]
Old 04-14-2001, 02:26 PM

That's right, and I'm definitely not saying mine is better than yours, I'm saying mine has worked for me. My preference is for more air, and I'll do anything to get away from a scratchy, harsh fiddle sound - not that recording it close up is always going to make it scratchy.

But what the hell do I know? It's all preference. And anyway, you're probably going to have to get closer if the fiddle isn't isolated.
Old 04-14-2001, 06:56 PM

I did the session the other day and the producer wanted the 414. We used it about 3-4 feet above and in front of the fiddle. I didn't particulary like the sound ( 414B-uls has never been my favorite )but the KM184 was too bright/scratchy. Producer wanted more lows and the 414 did the trick ( actually boosted some Low Mids as well ). I could see that a KM84 might sound nice in this instance. So, needless to say, I am still in search for a good mic for recording fiddle. Has anybody tried a MC012? Thanks for the recomendations so far!
Old 04-14-2001, 07:39 PM

I recently tracked a fiddle w/ KM184 thru an Avalon 737SP... great results, was very pleased... the KM184 may be bright but the Avalon toned it down so it was very natural...

------------------
Ray Lyon

www.balsampillow.com
Boca Raton, FL
Old 04-15-2001, 08:56 PM

A well maintained U67 or (believe it or not) U47 can also be very nice for fiddle, either one allows you to alter the distance to get the air/warmth ratio right (usually 1'-3'… depends on how live the room is, & isolation reality). This through an Avalon M2 pre (or Neve or API) and a warm compressor (Tube Tech CL1B, LA-2A, heck even a Focusrite Red 3 has good bottom end, just more rosin on top) and you should have a smile on the producer's face. I rarely do any EQ before the mix, if then.

I start with the mic (as your facing the fiddler) about 1' up, 6" to left of strings, and just toward the pegs side of the bridge. Moving the mic an inch any direction can make a huge difference, so do that before EQing. It's critical that the player is comfortable, that he/she knows what kind of sound your aiming for, and is able to be pretty consistent with positioning when you're punching phrases.

Fiddles (and bows) all sound unique… of your mics I'd try the 184 or KSM32 first, then match the pre to bring out desired timbre, then who knows, maybe a contact mic (ask before placing!) through some odd processing. For pop stuff you may want to get away from an oraganic sound.

Also, some fiddle players prefer an Audio Technica 4033 — not my favorite, but the 4033 is a bit duller which helps tame a bright, scratchy fiddle.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 04-15-2001, 09:56 PM

The MK012 is very close to a KM84. It's a flat mic - and I love the pair I have.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:02 AM

I just recorded Jan Johansson playing the fiddle on his "Fiddlin' with a Dulcimer" CD. I used an AKG C451 (similar to your AKG C460) about 18 inches over where the neck of the fiddle attaches to the body. I put a second AKG C451 about the same distance in front of the fiddle. I played around with the mic positions wearing headphones. Jan claims it's the best recording of his fiddle.

I would have miked farther away, but I was afraid I'd get some sound from my hard drives. You can actually hear the hard drive burp a few times during a soft passage on the recording. The burps were picked up recording the dulcimer.

Read more about Jan Johansson.

Read more about the "Fiddlin' with a Dulcimer" CD that Jan recorded with Rick Brockner.

See pictures of my puppy wearing a Harley-Davidson cap sitting on a pool table drinking a root beer!

------------------
Chris Droessler
www.barnabas.com Barnabas MultiMedia