Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 09-22-2016, 01:24 PM

Default Mbox 3 and mac os - tired of it

Hi Avid and everyone reading this who is also frustrated.

I want you all to know that I am absolutely, positively DONE with Avid and their lazyness. Apple has been releasing yearly OS updates for several years now. They release betas in advance so devs can have launch day drivers.

EVERY YEAR I have to wait until halfway through the upgrade cycle to get drivers for my Mbox 3.

Here we are again and Sierra doesn't recognize my mbox, even if i restart/reinstall drivers/unplug and replug usb. It is dead.

There are plenty of companies that actually care about their customers enough to put out drivers in a reasonable time frame.

The MBOX goes on eBay tonight and I will move on to a better company.

GOOD RIDDANCE.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 and mac os - tired of it

OK then ..

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-24-2016, 02:04 AM

Default Mbox 3 and mac os - tired of it

What's the point to upgrade your OS immediately? I'm still on Yosemite and will stay with it for a long time.

What features do you so badly need in macOS Sierra? Siri? :)

It's amazing that people keep upgrading asap and then complaining. Why brake something that works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 09:00 PM

Once bitten twice shy .., as they say.

I made that mistake once about updating too early and I learnt dearly from that mistake ....,

That is why I am choosing not updating to Sierra straight away .., its no fun being a beta tester if you want to get stuff done .
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 10-02-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranor View Post
What's the point to upgrade your OS immediately? I'm still on Yosemite and will stay with it for a long time.

What features do you so badly need in macOS Sierra? Siri? :)

It's amazing that people keep upgrading asap and then complaining. Why brake something that works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen on that. I'm still on Mavericks on both MBPros and PT11.3. Works perfectly on both setups so I'm done upgrading!

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 10-02-2016, 09:11 PM

God damn I love OS X major upgrade season, like get the popcorn ready, pull up a seat and open a beer.... the posts here are certainly entertaining.

---

Avid has always been slow with supporting new OS upgrades, that is their problem, with some argument in their favor about the sheer configuration/test matrix of what they have to support. But sure on interfaces they could do better.

But if you leap onto new OS X upgrades before checking/asking what is supported and especially if you don't have a quick recovery plan, that is your problem. Bung a clean install of Sierra on a test partition and try it out, if there are problems reboot to the working system....

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-02-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 PM

See my post above Darryl! He taught me well.

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:09 PM

I am between a rock and a hard place: my mac air is failing and I was advised to move to an IMAC because of the expanded memory (the air only had 4gbytes) Imac only comes with el capitan and sierra. So what was I supposed to do? In addition I went and bought and mbox 3 mini since the mbox 2 mini I have is no longer supported in the 12.5-12.6 vresion of avid's protools. So Oi, I hate apple because their updates suck (they killed my air with the fan problem) and then avid because I have a ton of problems getting service questions.
Bottom line is: the mbox 3 driver connects the mbox 3 mini, and can play old ptx files through it, but I cannot record from it. Any ideas? (other than blow up the avid building?)
Old 10-23-2016, 03:30 PM

Its interesting how often Pro tools users blame Avid for crap that is caused by Apple(not that avid doesn't have its own set of blamable issues) Some general rules to live by(no matter your DAW or platform):

NEVER update anything without a backup plan for when it goes wrong(I do mean WHEN and not IF)

Protect your system AND your data(having your computer/drives/Interface on a decent UPS can save your "world". Sessions that only exist on one drive, in one room are NOT backed up).

An iMac is a fine choice, but a slightly used Mac Pro Tower(assuming you don't need Thunderbolt) is a viable option(with better odds at being able to use a slightly older OS).

A Windows machine is also a viable option, no matter what anybody tells you(unless you want to use UA Apollo on Thunderbolt as UA seems uninterested in making windows drivers). HD/Native Thunderbolt does work on some new PC builds with Thunderbolt:.

Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 AM

It's so interesting how AVID is seemingly the only company who's got serious problems keeping up to this "inhumane" upgrade cycle.

Food for thought.