Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM

Default PT 8 Crashes Bluescreen when loading play_rtas on eastwest software upgrade

Ok this issue has been around for a looooooooooong time and STILL no resolution which is frustrating to say the least when as consumers paying for expensive software I can't just wait for weeks and months when I use this software to pay bills. So tech guys I am asking you to please help me to resolve this TO COMPLETION. Lets not leave me hanging for months or just say oh its a eastwest problem when they say the same thing so like I told them today SOMEONE please restore my faith in customer service or is it really dead?

Below I have pasted what my issue is, and yes I tried updating to their new v1.2.5 version and for some reason it still crashes bluescreen when PT is loading and the play_rtas is trying to load during launch. I can use the eastwest v1.2.0 and it is not an issue but both of their newer version v1.2.3 and the most recent v1.2.5 dont seem to work well with PT8. I just upgraded to the new PT8.1 I believe it was so was that to update this fix? If not please provide why this is happening, most probable causes, potential fixes, etc, etc.
Thanks

PC Intel 2.20GHz Duo Core
3GB RAM
ASIO
MBOX2
PT8.1 (the newest update)
32-bit
SP2
VISTA
Eastwest Goliath software

----------------------------------
I bought EastWest Goliath VI software back in December 2008. There were issues that eastwest had so they sent out updates for a newer version. One issue however is when you update to more current versions it crashes PT. When I mean crash I mean your opening up PT and when it shows the "play_rtas.dpm" it goes blue screen and crashes. I will then have to uninstall that new version and go back to the previous update version for eastwest for Goliath.

I found out through both the eastwest and digi forums that the root cause of this is the play_rtas.dpm file under the plugins folder under digidesign. When I contacted the eastwest tech support they say its a digidesign issue and digidesign says its either a eastwest issue or give a vanilla "we're working on it" response however its been "worked on" for the last 8 months so seeing if someone has been able to get this resolved or at least know how to work around this so it doesn't "blue screen" on me and crash when I update my eastwest software? This is getting really frustrating....
Thanks

Last edited by Michaeldante; 10-06-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: update the specs
Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 AM

Default Re: PT 8 Crashes Bluescreen when loading play_rtas on eastwest software upgrade

The E/W Play stuff uses the iLok for authorization, doesn't it? Have you updated your PACE drivers from www.paceap.com? Having older PACE drivers is a common cause of "blue screens" in PT for Windows.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Re: PT 8 Crashes Bluescreen when loading play_rtas on eastwest software upgrade

Yeah that was the first thing they asked me and I went to the site and updated but still it was an issue. The attachment they sent at first had the set-up as well as separate pace installers so I asked them if I had to install those installers with it or just install the setup and use the most recent and different tech people told me different options so both ways still a no go.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 AM

If you look under "Add/Remove Programs" is there only one entry for Interlok driver setup? One entry for iLok client helper?

If you click on support information for the iLok Client Helper, what version is it?

If you click on support information for the interlok driver setup, what version is it?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM

To answer your questions...

Q: If you look under "Add/Remove Programs" is there only one entry for Interlok driver setup? One entry for iLok client helper?
A: Looking in the add/remove page I have Interlok Driver Setup x32, iLok x32 Driver, and iLok Client Helper x32 programs showing. I just updated to the newest PT8 (I believe 8.1?) so that is the first one mentioned.
---------------

As far as the last two questions I am not really a tech guy so are you talking about them being x32 version or something else?

If you click on support information for the iLok Client Helper, what version is it? If you click on support information for the interlok driver setup, what version is it?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldante View Post
Looking in the add/remove page I have Interlok Driver Setup x32, iLok x32 Driver, and iLok Client Helper x32 programs showing.
It looks like you have duplicates of the PACE driver, which may be causing all of your problems. My recommendation would be:
  • uninstall all 3 from add/Remove Programs.
  • restart the computer
  • download the newest PACE driver from www.paceap.com and install
  • download the client helper from www.ilok.com and install
Quote:
I just updated to the newest PT8 (I believe 8.1?)

Quote:
As far as the last two questions I am not really a tech guy so are you talking about them being x32 version or something else?
No, I"m talking about the version numbers.

On the Add/Remove dialog window, when you select any of them you should see a link that says "Click here for support information". When you click that link, it will tell you what numeric version it is.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 AM

unfortunately there is not a link that pops up when i click each item. it only asks if i want to uninstall or change doesnt show anything else.

i guess it really doesnt matter now if you want me to delete all three and update them using the links you attached.

A question on that though is when I get the folder from e/w with the non corrupted setup its going to include pace drivers and even during the install will ask me if I want to install the drivers, am I to say no since I would have installed these new drivers you are asking me to or install them and then go back into add/remove and uninstall the dup I installed earlier per your request. Hope I didnt confuse you.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 AM

It depends. If E/W is providing you with a newer driver or one that somehow has different functionality than is publicly available direct from www.paceap.com, then you should probably use that one. Only they would know that, and only they would be able to tell you if that was the case. (Why they would do that would be a mystery)

In my experience, using the latest from the pace site has been the best thing to do.

Also in my experience, using PACE drivers that have been supplied from developers (no experience with this from E/W) instead of directly from PACE has broken other plug-ins that require those drivers.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM

ok I got the update, deleted the old ilok and client helper and updated to newer versions from PACE. I updated to the v1.2.5 and restarted. I launched PT and just like always it went to the play_rtas and crashed. Here is what it says:

STOP: 0x0000007e, 0xc0000005, 0x820bdf05, 0x8d4b3b38, 0xbd4b3834

There are other things on the page like in general (i.e it could BIOS updates, maybe changing the video adapter, disable bios mem if the above stop message fix doesnt work). I hope this gives a lil bit more info on what the bluescreen says so I can see if someone knows what that means.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Is there a file name listed after that "STOP" message? If so, what is it?

And if you uninstall the E/W play plug-in, this error does not happen?

Which version of Vista? Home? Business? Ultimate?
Are you running Pro Tools as admin?