Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-26-2019, 12:59 PM

Default DAW controller/mixer suggestions

greetings...

i am looking for suggestions for a DAW controller / mixer / console for a home system:

iMac 27' i7
protools 12 (NOT HD)
Apollo interface

those are the nuts and bolts of the system

i want something that will give me hands on mixing without breaking the bank. Also would like the unit to be more thank just control. THANK YOU. 'Steve

any thoughts on the Softube console mkII? Or the Qcon Icon.....SSL nucleus ...

Last edited by spaw57; 03-26-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 03-26-2019, 01:17 PM

Default Re: DAW controller/mixer suggestions

Are you just after a Pro Tools control surface?

Or are you after a live mixer?

How many faders do you want?

What is you’d budget?

If you use the Apollo Console, I don’t think it has any support for control surface integration.

What else have you looked at? What else have you used or seen that interests you? Have you looked at Pro Tools Control on an iPad?

What do you mean “more than just control” your mean more than a control surface? More what exactly? More than a Mackie HUI Control specifically?

The Avid S3 with Dock+iPad+Cobtril is likely the benchmark control surface to look at. Lots of integration with Pro Tools. Nice plugin control features etc. Pretty nice build quality (better than the artist series).

If you go below that price point there are other HUI surfaces to look at.

The Slate Raven touchscreen systems get some folks excited.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:37 PM

Thank you for responding.

Just started looking to be honest. the units that peaked my interest are:

SOFTUBE CONSOLE
SSL NUCLEUS
QCON ICON

I am trying to stay under 5000.00
16 faders, transport etc.

not to sure about the Slate unit..

Last edited by spaw57; 03-27-2019 at 08:29 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-26-2019, 03:42 PM

There are orders of magnitude difference between something like the SoftTube Console and an S3 or even SSL Nucleus. Until you get more clarity on what you are after nobody here is going to be able to give you detailed advice.

I would encourage you to spend time looking at all the ones you mentioned, and the Presonus FaderPort and FaderPort 16, Mackie MCU Pro, Avid Artist Mix, Slate Raven and Avid S3.

I would especially spend time looking at the S3. Read the manual etc. and understand all it can do. There are good review/demo videos of it on YouTube etc. It is ~$5k without the Dock. You may be able to pick one up used that is cheaper. If nothing else that is a benchmark control surface around this price point that you should be comparing everything else to.

I would also encourage you to play with the free Pro Tools control software on a iPad (hopefully you have one already). That lets you see *some* of the EUCON/S3 like capabilities and would be part of a full S3+Dock system.

BTW I am one who likes to point out you do not *need* a control surface. How much they may or may not help you depends on the user. Try to spend time using one somewhere if you can (class, friend, studio etc.).
Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 AM

Thank you Darryl - i honestly appreciate your input (pardon the pun). Tremendous advise for sure. I do fully understand the massive differences here and will study the S3 in depth.

all the best Steve
Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 PM

The softube Console 1 is probably not a great option. It has no faders and controls ONLY certain plugins(softube and UAD) and while it works well enough, it has some quirks that put many potential users off(I sold mine). I suspect you will be much happier with some faders. Options there:
Artist Mix(used-around $500-600 per 8 faders, can use up to 4 for 32 faders)
Presonus Faderport 8 or 16(8 faders@$500, 16@$999ish)
Behringer X-Touch(similar to faderport, but more variants available, including stripped down 8-fader units, which I believe can be combined up to 32 faders(like the Artist Mix)

As for controlling plugins, The Avid S3 is probably best, but carries a higher price tag(seen them second hand for around $3300). 16 faders, NOT expandable(but can be combined with the Avid DOCK). Speaking of which, the DOCK(with a compatible iPad) is a darn fine controller and worth a good look(with or without any of the other options above)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-28-2019, 12:32 PM

Thanks... Dave.... may i call you Dave...lol
I appreciate the info - i will look into the products mentioned. There are some options for sure. I guess the BIG question i need to answer is if i want a console that i can run audio through as well as control protools? or do i want something like the S3....
Steve
Old 04-03-2019, 06:21 AM

Pro Tools 2018 control surfaces?

Hi folks,

I was reading discussions on this site and thought I’d ask your opinions on control surfaces.

The current” guts” of my setup is PT 2018/PC/win 10. Focusrite 18i8. Grace m101. Lots of the usual plugin suspects
KU11, SD3, soundtoys, fab stuff, waves multiple monitors for edit and mix screen, plus 2 small ones for loop auditioning and misc. Rest is irrelevant.

So, the world of control surfaces. I installed the free Avid iPad setup.
Haven’t spent much time with it. Looks like it can be customized, but no horizontal edit screen. Doesn’t really mimic the PC. A friend had an old iPad version of Neywrinck for his past PT, which looked great,

Anyway, it’s time for me to get an actual tactile controller. I’m being lent an old Digi 003. Don’t know if it will work with my win 10 deal, but Avid apparently has a relatively recent driver. I’m awaiting the gazillion cables that’ll get it to talk to
My usb-c hub. The FireWire 400 I have. Ordered the rest of the puzzle. I forget. 409-800, 800 to something, then finally the thunderbolt 3 that hopefully talks to the usb.-c. They’re apple cables, so who knows?

assuming it works, it’s probably just a tryout for me, before getting something more compact, newer? Better?

So, I need suggestions on the following. I need an education on just what a “ control surface” does, vs. a “ mixer type” gizmo” for PT. I’ll read anything I’m given. Just need help in what choices I have, that will serve simply as a tactile extension of what is occurring on my PC. Basically, replacing the mouse with a set of faders and knobs.

I’ll read anything you send my way. I hear the terms HUI, Mackie, eucon.
I believe that the free Avid iPad thing is eucon. I appreciate Avid giving it away, but seems like it’s just useful as an across the room remote control.
Some folks still love their 003s. Some talk about c24s. Looking for something that I can pick up new or used, for 1K or less, if possible. I can hunt down most anything.
So, any and all thoughts, ideas, books, links, YouTube videos, tutorials, direct gadget recommendations to look stand why, would really be appreciated.
If ganging 2 003s works, that’s fine. I’d tge c24 does the job, that’s fine.
I’m just an old analog dog , trying to learn new tricks. Thanks in advance.
Sk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2019, 05:23 AM

Folks. May I ask you a question. I am receiving this FP16 probably around Tuesday/Wednesday or so. Not tsure what to expect.
Reviewers are very positive, users are up and down, ambivalent.
Anyway, in selecting it over the eucon based Avid artist mix( I think they both retail at about 1K), I couldn’t get past the following.
None of the videos, reviews, tutorials YouTubes, etc, of the artist control mix gadget, ever showed the artist mix console, interacting or even bringing up the horizontal edit screen. I live by the edit screen!!
All I see is one reviewer/demonstrator after another demonstrating the workflow in the mix screen. I still have my experiment with the eucon based iPad PT control hooked up and that also doesn’t show the edit screen. What most attracted me the the FP ( assuming that the company’s demo series was legit) was how easy it appeared to switch between the 2 screens with the FP. In particular the ability to draw in your automation on the fly with your faders. Am I missing something here?
It’s kind of driving me crazy. Ive spent 2 days on the net looking for one lousy view of the edit screen in artist series. I would assume that since eucon is Avids baby, it would be the most integrated with its own software. So, in your opinion, why on earth isthe artist mix never shown demonstrating its abilities on the edit screen, or, for that matter, even shown as being able to see it and work with it.
Thoughts?
I’m very confused. As you know, these things aren’t stocked in your local Best Buy ( or even GC) to demo on a PT setup.
Thx in advance.
SK

Old 04-07-2019, 05:25 AM

Albee,
Would greatly appreciate your opinion on my notes below

I am receiving an FP16 probably around Tuesday/Wednesday or so. Not tsure what to expect.
Reviewers are very positive, users are up and down, ambivalent.
Anyway, in selecting it over the eucon based Avid artist mix( I think they both retail at about 1K), I couldn’t get past the following.
None of the videos, reviews, tutorials YouTubes, etc, of the artist control mix gadget, ever showed the artist mix console, interacting or even bringing up the horizontal edit screen. I live by the edit screen!!
All I see is one reviewer/demonstrator after another demonstrating the workflow in the mix screen. I still have my experiment with the eucon based iPad PT control hooked up and that also doesn’t show the edit screen. What most attracted me the the FP ( assuming that the company’s demo series was legit) was how easy it appeared to switch between the 2 screens with the FP. In particular the ability to draw in your automation on the fly with your faders. Am I missing something here?
It’s kind of driving me crazy. Ive spent 2 days on the net looking for one lousy view of the edit screen in artist series. I would assume that since eucon is Avids baby, it would be the most integrated with its own software. So, in your opinion, why on earth isthe artist mix never shown demonstrating its abilities on the edit screen, or, for that matter, even shown as being able to see it and work with it.
Thoughts?
I’m very confused. As you know, these things aren’t stocked in your local Best Buy ( or even GC) to demo on a PT setup.
Thx in advance.
SK