Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Importing and Exporting audio not working --WTF??

I'm on a Mac Pro running PTHD 7.3.1, and using the MP3 export option is an exercise in masochism. Half the time I select a file to export as an MP3 (or bounce to disk), it either gets encoded as a bunch of godawful digital feedback noise, or it crashes Pro Tools altogether. Sometimes it works, but I may as well flip a coin to decide whether it will actually work properly or not.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Re: MP3 Export option buggy as hell...WTF??

Pure digital noise. That is what I get about 20% of the time.

1 out of 6 isn't bad...I hear on Cubase it happens 25% of the time....much worse. LOL!
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM

Actually, I stand corrected. As of this moment, I cannot bounce to disk or export ANYTHING in ANY file format. Even just attempting to bounce to disk and create a plain old 16/44.1 Stereo WAV file results in a file containing full scale digital hash EVERY TIME. That is, of course, when it's not just completely crashing Pro Tools altogether. As of right now I cannot get any kind of bounced or mixed file from my system. I've trashed all prefs and Database folders, and repaired disk permissions, and still nothing. I am officially screwed.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Avid

Have you tried bouncing to a different drive? Have you tried a new administrator account, to see if it might be some kind of corruption with your current account? Have you tried running Digitest to see if there might be something wrong with a card? Does this happen with every session or just certain ones?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Have you tried bouncing to a different drive? Have you tried a new administrator account, to see if it might be some kind of corruption with your current account? Have you tried running Digitest to see if there might be something wrong with a card? Does this happen with every session or just certain ones?
I tried bouncing/exporting to another drive, same problem. I ran Digitest, both cards (Core and Accel) passed. This is the strangest thing. After I ran Digitest and restarted, I pulled up an older session (i.e. one not created or saved today), and the import audio window preview player was working fine, as well as bounce to disk. But then I closed it and opened a session from today, and all imports and bounces are garbled and hashy, so I went back and reopened the older session where the import audio window and export/bounce functions were working fine a few minutes ago, and now it's doing the digital hash in that session's import preview window too!

And attempting an MP3 bounce in one of today's sessions crashed Pro Tools altogether, and trying to restart the program caused a complete computer freeze necessitaing a hard restart of the whole machine. Bouncing in the older session worked fine. Also, I should note that this problem is occurring both with importing AND exporting. So as of right now on any new sessions or sessions saved today, I cannot import OR export any audio of any kind without it being either complete digital hash or (in the case of exporting) crashing Pro Tools.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:20 AM

I've made some diagnostic progress, but this is still ridiculous. It now appears that when I create certain new sessions and import MP3's into those sessions, those new sessions become "afflicted" with the disease that they can no longer properly import or export audio without it being complete digital hash. Furthermore, if I open and attempt to import/export in one of these afflicted sessions, and then close and open a previously non-afflicted older session, that session too becomes afflicted.

So as of right now if I want to bounce or export audio from one of these afflicted sessions, what I have to do is quit and restart Pro Tools, create a new session, import the tracks and copy audio from the afflicted session, and then it will work normally.

So again I ask, huh???!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:09 PM

Hey Z-boy..

I understand your "infected" idea... I have PT files that don't work correctly with QT files, and it's the same thing.. once the session file "goes bad", there is no getting it back.

For the record, I use BTD to create mp3 files all the time, and for me it works fine 100% of the time.

1. Once you create a .mp3 file, is it possible to open and play it in a different program? iTunes? QT? I curious if the file is really corrupted, or just that PT won't play it back.

2. Have you tried different encode rates for the .mp3 file? 128kbs... 320kbs... do they all behave the same?

3. Same goes for the Sample Rate... have you tried both 44 and 48?

4. Last idea is to trash Didi prefs, re-start and repair permissions..

Good Luck.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:

1. Once you create a .mp3 file, is it possible to open and play it in a different program? iTunes? QT? I curious if the file is really corrupted, or just that PT won't play it back.
It depends. If I'm in a session that has become "infected", even trying to import or listen in the import preview window to audio files that I know are good will still sound hashy or distorted, even though they're fine in any other program. Any MP3's I create in an infected session are distorted in every other playback program as well.

Quote:
2. Have you tried different encode rates for the .mp3 file? 128kbs... 320kbs... do they all behave the same?
Haven't tried that yet, I always do 192kbps, but I'll try other rates and see.

Quote:
3. Same goes for the Sample Rate... have you tried both 44 and 48?
Haven't tried that either, everything has been at 48, but I'll try 44.1 as well.

Quote:
4. Last idea is to trash Didi prefs, re-start and repair permissions..
Done that many times, no luck.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Avid

Try creating a new administrator account, log in to it and try everything again.

Let us know the results.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:03 AM

I've had the same problem when bouncing to disk. The bounce sounds fine but the resulting file is distorted digitally. Either that or PT crashes during conversion. It only happens when I convert sample/bit rates. If I bounce at the sessions recorded rate (24/96) then it's fine. Weird.

The only thing I found that stops it happening? I removed NI's B4 V2 from my plugins folder.

WTF? It only seems to do it when B4 is installed.

I'd be interested to know if you have tried removing any plugins from your system and then bouncing.