Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2020

Old 09-03-2020, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 2020.9!

I paid someone good money to get them to convert my old 5.1/SDII sessions to 12+/WAV because they'd "stopped supporting SDII".

Do you think I can forward the invoice to AVID?
Old 09-03-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
A whole new release should be dedicated to bug-fixes. No new features. Just make sure EVERYTHING works as expected. All the broken stuff. All the things that have not worked properly in PT for the past 10 years. Then we can move on to new features. Or at the very least, all of the above while introducing new stuff.
Amen. They STILL haven't fixed the MIDI event list issues/bugs which Avid tech support has verified that they exist. So it's still PT 2019.6 for me. Fancy MIDI stuff I don't need - as above just fixed the damned bugs

QAPLA!
Old 09-03-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
A whole new release should be dedicated to bug-fixes. No new features. Just make sure EVERYTHING works as expected. All the broken stuff. All the things that have not worked properly in PT for the past 10 years. Then we can move on to new features. Or at the very least, all of the above while introducing new stuff.
How does that not include things that broke because Avid couldn't be bothered to replace 32 bit code? Even though they had a nearly three year heads up. Avid has a multi hundred million dollar market cap. There is no excuse.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:37 PM

Ive said it before, if the programmers actually made music, and understood the process they're being paid to work on, they'd fix it in a second. They dont even know, what they dont know. Not thier fault. The company hired 'programmers' and thats where it ended. theres no such thing left as a 'musical programmer' .........it did decades ago........they're all loooonngggg gone.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Ive said it before, if the programmers actually made music, and understood the process they're being paid to work on, they'd fix it in a second. They dont even know, what they dont know. Not thier fault. The company hired 'programmers' and thats where it ended. theres no such thing left as a 'musical programmer' .........it did decades ago........they're all loooonngggg gone.
I agree that it's not the people slinging code that's the reason for the issues. However those folks don't make product and design calls. They implement what the product managers and product designer tell them to. I've known and met some of those people. They do have experience in the space but aren't given carte blanche to do what is required. They are very much a cog in the wheel like the coders and are at the whims of those that control the purse strings and focus of the company.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:04 PM

they're being asked to code things, on an external, extremely demanding process, of which theyve never ostensibly participated, and have no visceral understanding of. if you have no hands on with post, what do you care if you just broke the quicktime bounce?!!?!??!?!? who needs that anyway??!?! and what if the old guy who fixed all the legacy code issues is gone on holidays? hmmmm, oh well, lets make a new color wheel!!! MIDI truncating, whats MIDI??!?! see where im going.........audio is extremely detailed work, and can have NO hiccups. we cant blame the programmers. its like hiring a plumber to fix the toilet on the space station.....
Old 09-03-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
they're being asked to code things, on an external, extremely demanding process, of which theyve never ostensibly participated, and have no visceral understanding of. if you have no hands on with post, what do you care if you just broke the quicktime bounce?!!?!??!?!? who needs that anyway??!?! and what if the old guy who fixed all the legacy code issues is gone on holidays? hmmmm, oh well, lets make a new color wheel!!! MIDI truncating, whats MIDI??!?! see where im going.........audio is extremely detailed work, and can have NO hiccups. we cant blame the programmers. its like hiring a plumber to fix the toilet on the space station.....
People that code don't need experience in the field. Do you think SAP is written by accountants and CFOs? Is Solidworks written by mechanical engineers? Simply, no. Software engineering is a separate skill set particularly at the level Pro Tools or Media Composer uses.

What happens is someone like me writes a spec. We sit with an interface designer and come up with how the info will be entered and presented. We have milestones and deliverables for which we check in with the engineering managers on a regular basis. They're software engineers. They implement what we tell them. They aren't video directors, stage managers or audio engineers nor do they need to be. They may be musos with their own rigs or perhaps have a You Tube channel to which they stream or even volunteer as A/V crew at the church. The point is they don't have the depth of experience someone cutting features or putting sound to picture or making the next Beyonce record would have.

Along the way we test what we can and test the final product using people that do it for a living, the stage managers, audio techs, people using it in the course of their gig. We report the bugs and the coders fix them (we hope).

It's not near as complex as Pro Tools but the products are engineered and designed using a workflow that's common in software engineering. If something breaks something else it's because I didn't test it enough or with enough different use cases to find it. In the case of what happened with Avid and the 32 bit program issue it would have been because I, as product manager, didn't forsee enough to get it implemented in time or had other constraints that caused me to not start working on it earlier.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaber View Post
I've done some quick tests; it seems to open PT 5.1 and presumably later projects, but not 5.0. And with the 5.1 project it automatically converted the SDII files to wav. I had to use the open project menu and navigate to the 5.1 program to get it to open; simply double clicking the 5.1 project didn't work.
thanks!!!!!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Enough bitchin, is this update stable on Mac and or PC? have some issues been rectified? Is it more stable than 2020.5 which I down loaded but never opened because of all the negative feed back from that release. What do some of the more savvy people who are smart enough to do tests think of this update? not everyone is a Professional here and some of us less mortals would be very interested in what the so called experts think?
Old 09-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Works here ..not really different

PT 2020.5, macpro 12 core trashcan 64 gig ram, MBP i7 9,1 16gig ram OS 10.12.3.. TBlt UA Apollo16 SSD's [samsung],