Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Apple Remote Desktop

I want to use apple remote desktop to use my laptop as a transport and for editing during tracking. It would solve a zillion problems. Does anybody have any experience with this type of setup? Any light to shed?

Regards,
Keny

Pics of my New Studio - it's still being built
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 01-23-2006, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Apple Remote Desktop

You can pay for ARD, or you can use freeware VNC apps like OSXvnc and Chicken of the VNC. Wacky names, but they work. I sometimes control my G5 with my laptop from the iso booth - you just have to run an ethernet cable.

-Chris
Old 01-23-2006, 07:26 PM

VNC is not a secure protocol, but if you are not connected to the Internet, that does not matter. I use ARD to administer and troubleshoot our Macs, and its great, but for the cost, I think its a bit much for what you want to do.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM

I use it and it works perfectly. I have a 15" powerbook with airport card and bring it into the iso booth when recording vocals or acoustic gtr. Also have my Piano mic'd upstairs (with headphones) and can bring my laptop upstairs when I need to record the piano. The only drawback is my studio display is 23" and higher resolution than the laptop. So the GUI is a little small. But you can also have it the same size but it runs off the screen and you just mouse over to get to it. But I find that a little disorienting. Also the screen redraw is a little slow, but it may be because the powerbook a little old (G4- 667).
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 PM

Good news Flash Ca Jeet Ca jeet Ca jeet

How's the latency? (like how reactive is the tansport...)

Sweet. and i thought this was a pipe dream... Now i can work with the guitarist and not be confined to my desk. I'm giddy. Wow mixing from the couch. the possibilities are endless. AND i can totally freak people out when i am not in the room.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 PM

Just try Chicken of the VNC , test at different resolutions and bit dept.

As for speed, 100 BT is slower than 1000 BT. You can also set the refresh speed of the screen.

No IP address to input, it work with "Bonjour".

I use it to run maintenance software (DiskWarrior, TechTools Pro) from my home. We will install a VPN (Virtual Private Network) soon so I can have access to more than one computer, and to close all open ports on the router.

JC
Old 01-24-2006, 12:19 AM

OH my god this is awesome. Thank you SOOOOOOO much. I can't believe this. Why didn't I think of this earlier.....

myspace page
Old 01-24-2006, 01:18 AM

Yeah I'm using COTVNC too...Another one, which some people find a bit faster than COTVNC is 'VNC Viewer' by Robert Kedoin.
While we're on the subject, I have to mention this really cool similar utility:

TELEPORT

I use this to control my other G5 running Kontakt. Basically, it allows you to run 2 (or more) machines using one keyboard and mouse (you do need a monitor connected to each though). As soon as the the cursor reaches the edge of one screen it switches over to the screen on the other machine - very, very cool.... and so quick
Old 02-07-2006, 04:54 AM

Quote:
VNC is not a secure protocol,
Why? Even with a firewall?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:06 PM

This VNC has got to be the coolest thing since sliced bread!

Thanks folks! This rocks!

Does anyone know if a gigabit Network connection makes a difference?

cool stuff....