Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2002, 09:43 AM

Default -10 / +4

I suffer from the oft lamented monitor volume problem. I can only get my main level up to about 9 o'clock before it gets too loud. (I have a great passive attenator which I used to use, but if I use it with the rest of the pc monitor section I will lose an 888 output pair).

I was trying to dub some material to a VHS recorder the other day and the audio was heavily distorted. I figured the video was expecting -10 and thought about switching the main output pair down to that level. What would be the implications for the pc when that is connected to those outputs? Could it in fact solve the level problem with the pc pots? Or am I totally misunderstanding. Thanks
Jack
Old 01-04-2002, 10:15 AM

Default Re: -10 / +4

Hey Jack:

I too experience the frustration of the monitoring scenario on Pro Control.

But the VHS issue is a level matching issue. As you correctly surmized, VHS machines, like audio cassette machines, need to see -10 db.

The easy answer is that you could drop the output pair on the 888 to -10, but this seems rather silly to mix output levels on the 888 interface.

In the past, I have always had a Mackie 1604 or Yamaha 01 available with -10 Tape input and outputs. That always came in handy, but the most efficient way is to invest in a level matching amp and make it available on your patch bay to feed all the various -10 machines from your +4 outputs.

Just my opinion, of course. Hope it helps.

Best Regards

Happiness, Health, Peace and Prosperity to all in 2002.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:40 AM

Thanks... that makes sense. I have a mackie 1202 that I can use to lower the levels, but I want to retain a really pure signal path. I notice a difference with the 1202, and the quality of the audio in the vhs is so bad anyway, that I want to do everything I can to help it. Is there a converter that will drop the level down using a very short and clean signal path?
Jack
Old 01-05-2002, 08:27 PM

I would suggest the following site http://www.gainesaudio.com/

I have several of John's boxes and they work great. I use one on my ProControl to get a -10 CD player up to +4. He has them for both ways or either direction.

They are clean simple well built units.

There are many DIY methods if you are into that. Check out some on the web.
I prob have some I could send you. I have built just about every type of adaptor you can think of.
www.classicrecording.com