Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-17-2017, 05:55 AM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,665
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

When you say gain do you mean increasing the volume or adding the character of the units? When using EQs and compressors you should use the gain control to match the output level to unity gain rather than just to add volume which means that you should match the level of the effects to the level of the track when the effects are on bypass, otherwise the volume difference can fool your ears, here's an example:
https://youtu.be/BfEbiaWA6D8
__________________
Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10, NI Komplete Audio 6, Pro Tools 12
andreimartinezagras.webs.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-17-2017, 07:40 AM
skateboardharvey skateboardharvey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 25
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
When you say gain do you mean increasing the volume or adding the character of the units? When using EQs and compressors you should use the gain control to match the output level to unity gain rather than just to add volume which means that you should match the level of the effects to the level of the track when the effects are on bypass, otherwise the volume difference can fool your ears, here's an example:
https://youtu.be/BfEbiaWA6D8
Wow, that was helpful. I’ve learned more here than a few days on YouTube. My recordings usually show up at around -10db because when I’m at -6db my microphone picks up detailed noises. I always had EQ that would bring my volume down, then I would adjust the gain on my compressor to bring it back up to be loud enough. You’re saying those are to make it sound identical volume-wise, but edited now, meaning I should still be around -10db. In order to be loud enough, I would have to raise my vocal track volume above 0db. I like my sound, but I’m trying to improve my recording and learn the right way.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-17-2017, 03:58 PM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,665
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

I wouldn't go over -18, -10 usually turns red too quick. Instead use a limiter on your master track to raise the overall level of the mix, or even better turn your speakers up and leave loudness to the mastering stage.
__________________
Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10, NI Komplete Audio 6, Pro Tools 12
andreimartinezagras.webs.com
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 PM
skateboardharvey skateboardharvey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 25
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I wouldn't go over -18, -10 usually turns red too quick. Instead use a limiter on your master track to raise the overall level of the mix, or even better turn your speakers up and leave loudness to the mastering stage.
I have been looking into this for a while now, but haven't seemed to figure it out. I bring the master track down about -5.5 until there's no peaking going on. I have tried using the Maxim plug-in by bringing the ceiling down to about -0.3db, then moving the threshold to about -5.5 to match the difference. I still haven't gotten it to be the same volume without it sounding distorted.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-18-2017, 05:48 AM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,665
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardharvey View Post
I have been looking into this for a while now, but haven't seemed to figure it out. I bring the master track down about -5.5 until there's no peaking going on. I have tried using the Maxim plug-in by bringing the ceiling down to about -0.3db, then moving the threshold to about -5.5 to match the difference. I still haven't gotten it to be the same volume without it sounding distorted.
Because that's not the best way to do that. I suggest you forget about being loud during the mix and research about mastering as a separate process. Put your master track back to 0, turn down all your faders to around -12 and try to mix without your master turning red or even going over -6 on the loudest peaks . Is not going to be as loud as commercial mixes but then you can export the mix to a separate session and raise the level using some mastering tools. It is a good idea to research what the different production stages are for, maybe some online courses like Puremix or Lynda will be a comprehensive guide or even better, try to find a local tutor you can learn from in person, youtube is good for learning tricks and watch other people's workflows but you need to understand the basics of audio production first so you don't waste your time trying to make things work before they are ready.
__________________
Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10, NI Komplete Audio 6, Pro Tools 12
andreimartinezagras.webs.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-18-2017, 01:55 PM
skateboardharvey skateboardharvey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 25
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Because that's not the best way to do that. I suggest you forget about being loud during the mix and research about mastering as a separate process. Put your master track back to 0, turn down all your faders to around -12 and try to mix without your master turning red or even going over -6 on the loudest peaks . Is not going to be as loud as commercial mixes but then you can export the mix to a separate session and raise the level using some mastering tools. It is a good idea to research what the different production stages are for, maybe some online courses like Puremix or Lynda will be a comprehensive guide or even better, try to find a local tutor you can learn from in person, youtube is good for learning tricks and watch other people's workflows but you need to understand the basics of audio production first so you don't waste your time trying to make things work before they are ready.
Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-21-2017, 08:27 AM
noah330 noah330 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 368
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

I love SSL's X-Verb
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-23-2017, 08:13 AM
skateboardharvey skateboardharvey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 25
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I'm really enjoying Seventh Heaven, and I also like the Valhalla verbs. The new SoundToys Little Plate (free) is getting used too. There are plenty of terrific reverb choices out there, so in the end you will probably have to try them out to see what you like.
I saw that the Valhalla Vintage Verb is $50, but the Seventh Heaven reverb just dropped to $49. From watching tutorial videos, I’m loving the simplicity and quality of the Seventh Heaven reverb. Does anybody know if that works on Pro Tools 10.3.10?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM
deanrichard deanrichard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 749
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

Yes, Seventh Heaven works in PT 10.3.10.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardharvey View Post
I saw that the Valhalla Vintage Verb is $50, but the Seventh Heaven reverb just dropped to $49. From watching tutorial videos, I’m loving the simplicity and quality of the Seventh Heaven reverb. Does anybody know if that works on Pro Tools 10.3.10?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM
skateboardharvey skateboardharvey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 25
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Yes, Seventh Heaven works in PT 10.3.10.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I had contacted them, but they weren’t sure. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REVERB questions/recommendations/thoughts livexfast Pro Tools Software (Mac) 5 01-16-2011 02:12 AM
Plug-In Recommendations adam79 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 11 08-07-2010 08:20 AM
EQ Plug-In Recommendations Please REtroJECT 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 3 08-08-2004 11:27 AM
reverb/delay/effects etc.- recommendations?? MrMike Tips & Tricks 5 06-24-2001 08:06 AM
Reverb and CD mastering recommendations Skyway 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 0 09-10-2000 04:33 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com