Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Setting up a BUS for MIDI?

Greetings, can't find an answer in my searches so here goes. I have a Roland XP-80 setup with a Command 8 and 003 Rack. Using PT LE 7.3. I can record MIDI just fine using an AUX track but I guess I'm not understanding setting up a BUS. I can set up a BUS on an audio track but cannot find out how to do this with a MIDI track. My goal being able to use plug-ins such as reverb etc to tweek the MIDI track. I'm using the Roland XP-80 patches for sound and not an installed plug-in. Is this even possible? What am I missing? Thanks
Old 01-17-2017, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Setting up a BUS for MIDI?

Either insert the plugins directly on the aux channel the ext MIDI instrument comes in on, or buss the audio via a send to another aux if you want to share the effect with their instruments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 09:03 AM

Greetings Sardi, thank you for the response. I am new to using a BUS so please excuse my ignorance here. What I want to do is this.... I have my XP-80 set up to supply a BASS guitar to a track using its internal sound for the bass. For that track I have a AUX track set up in which I can apply effects. Now I want to supply a piano, using the internal sounds from the XP-80 on another track. What would be the best way to accomplish this? If I am using the same effects for the piano as the bass guitar, do I need to set up some type of bus? What would be the best way to do this? Thank you again.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:08 PM

If my memory serves me correct, the XP-80 has dual stereo outputs.

So, route the bass patch to one set of outputs and the piano to another set. Then, either create 2 x Aux & MIDI tracks or even simpler, 2 x Instrument tracks which are a combination of Aux & MIDI on the same track/channel.

Then, just apply the effects directly as inserts on each channel. Or if you want to use an existing reverb(for example) that you're already using as a send effect in your session, feed the signal from the XP-80 channel to the Reverb channel using an Aux send.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Hyland View Post
Greetings, can't find an answer in my searches so here goes. I have a Roland XP-80 setup with a Command 8 and 003 Rack. Using PT LE 7.3. I can record MIDI just fine using an AUX track but I guess I'm not understanding setting up a BUS. I can set up a BUS on an audio track but cannot find out how to do this with a MIDI track. My goal being able to use plug-ins such as reverb etc to tweek the MIDI track. I'm using the Roland XP-80 patches for sound and not an installed plug-in. Is this even possible? What am I missing? Thanks
You can't put a bus on a MIDI track. If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to record audio output from the XP-80 to Pro Tools. If you've recorded your MIDI track for the sequence, which it sounds like you did, then have the MIDI output of the MIDI track play that part on the Xp-80 and set up an AUDIO track in PT to record the audio output from the XP 80. I'm assuming you've got the audio inputs set up correctly so that audio played on the XP can be recorded to PT.

Once you've recorded the audio of your bass or piano part, then you can use any bus or insert you wish on the audio track to process the sound.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 PM

Default Digi 003 basic Midi setup

So ive plugged my MIDI cables in to my 003 Rack, gone to my PT12 and opened up MIDI Studio and my MicroKorg is not coming up as a selection.

My question is

1. Which channel is MIDI assigned to in an 003 rack (Ive been told its one and line/DI is selected but isnt working in PT12) ?

2. Do you have suggestions on cool drum plug ins?

3. Do you think this is a PT12 step im missing or do i need a midi driver for 003 rack?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Digi 003 basic Midi setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemonkeydishwasher View Post
So ive plugged my MIDI cables in to my 003 Rack, gone to my PT12 and opened up MIDI Studio and my MicroKorg is not coming up as a selection.

My question is

1. Which channel is MIDI assigned to in an 003 rack (Ive been told its one and line/DI is selected but isnt working in PT12) ?

2. Do you have suggestions on cool drum plug ins?

3. Do you think this is a PT12 step im missing or do i need a midi driver for 003 rack?
You really should break this out into a separate thread. But to answer your question there is no MIDI channel assigned to the actual MIDI I/O ports in the 003. Channel assignments are set in your keyboard and the PT instrument track that hosts the vi you want to use.

BFD3, Superior Drummer are two great drum vi's.

QAPLA!