Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Anyone tried Protools on an M1 mac yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I think you missread the sentiment here. Lots of folks here have workloads that won't run on a base level memory footprint system. It will be interesting for all of those users when it gets interesting. It's just not interesting now because it's not something they can use today. And folks really need to careful about magic memory improvement claims, the claims of radical reduction in memory needs do not make sense.

I'd not be buying an M1 Mac now if I *needed* that to run Pro Tools to make a living. But hey I have an M1 MBP coming anyhow, and my Intel MBP is not going anywhere, and I sure will run Pro Tools on the M1 for some things.
The future is going to be interesting.
Maybe we'll be able to run 2 M1's in tandem?
One for vi's and one for the DAW?
Old 01-06-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthtunz View Post
The future is going to be interesting.
Maybe we'll be able to run 2 M1's in tandem?
One for vi's and one for the DAW?
That, my friend, would be awesome!!!
Old 01-06-2021, 11:51 AM

The next m1x or whatever mac pro is going to be insanely fast. You won't need 2 computers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post
Nah, my M1 MBP works way better than the 2020 Intel one I had for serious use, even with 8gb.
Yeah I had the Mid 2020 Intel 13' MacBook also and it was a decent computer but the M1 is by far superior in every way and it definitely not a toy. It's some achievement! I am already using the M1 as my main computer.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.11 | Dolby Atmos Render 5.2 & Album Assembler 1.3 | RME BabyFace Pro FS | UA Native Plugins & Sphere LX | SSL UC1 | 2023 Mac Studio M2 Max 12 Core CPU 38 Core GPU | MacOs 13.5.0 | Genelec 8020D & Yamaha MSP10 | Korg Kronos LS | Sonarworks Sound ID | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | DT 880 PRO | DT 770 Pro | etc.

Last edited by ZoeMusic; 01-11-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
The next m1x or whatever mac pro is going to be insanely fast. You won't need 2 computers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yes, it looks that way! I was just thinking that the next M1x or whatever is going to be quite expensive so maybe buying 2 m1 minis for 2.5k$
and using one to host VI's and one to record to might be
more cost effective.
As more software becomes compatible with mac m1's
we'll see what works.
peace
Old 01-09-2021, 08:56 PM

Here is my early review. The Mac Mini M1 seems pretty quick and Big Sur is running smoothly. Most software and plugins were able to load without any issues. I hit one application pretty early on that required the Rosetta 2 emulator. I also had to go into start up security to allow loading kernel extensions. After that no errors showed nor any fixes were needed. (I still need to make sure Sonar Works will run.) Pro Tools Ultimate runs fine natively but I haven't thrown any serious tests at it. Now to the bad news. After installing the HD driver a couple of times, the HDX card is still not an option in Pro Tools. I think this might be the first wall to clear. It might take Avid releasing a new driver to fix this. Of the few earlier adopters out there, that have tested the M1, no one has mentioned HDX much. Apparently I am the crash-test dummy. I will jump on some more forums and see what is out there. I at least have my old machine to record with. I could return the M1 but I think the new machines will only get more expensive. It runs very well and Avid's urgency to support it has nothing to do with Apple. I would love to hear if anyone has had success with HDX.

I might mention the diagnostic page on the machine recognizes my TB2 chassis and that there are 2 cards in it. Only the UAD card is named correctly, the HDX card just has a generic PCIe card name.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertanica View Post
....Now to the bad news. After installing the HD driver a couple of times, the HDX card is still not an option in Pro Tools. I think this might be the first wall to clear. It might take Avid releasing a new driver to fix this. Of the few earlier adopters out there, that have tested the M1, no one has mentioned HDX much. Apparently I am the crash-test dummy. I will jump on some more forums and see what is out there. I at least have my old machine to record with. I could return the M1 but I think the new machines will only get more expensive. It runs very well and Avid's urgency to support it has nothing to do with Apple. I would love to hear if anyone has had success with HDX.

I might mention the diagnostic page on the machine recognizes my TB2 chassis and that there are 2 cards in it. Only the UAD card is named correctly, the HDX card just has a generic PCIe card name.

I am also very interested in HDX and M1.

If we have to wait for AVid, it can take quite a long time. But hopefully, Carbon will perhaps make them act quicker.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:02 AM

Quote:
That's normal, that happens on my Mac Pro. HDX requires a kernel extension and this will need to be native Apple Silicon (even if the application continues to be translated by Rosetta).
Old 01-10-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Here is my early review. The Mac Mini M1 seems pretty quick and Big Sur is running smoothly. Most software and plugins were able to load without any issues. I hit one application pretty early on that required the Rosetta 2 emulator. I also had to go into start up security to allow loading kernel extensions. After that no errors showed nor any fixes were needed. (I still need to make sure Sonar Works will run.) Pro Tools Ultimate runs fine natively but I haven't thrown any serious tests at it. Now to the bad news. After installing the HD driver a couple of times, the HDX card is still not an option in Pro Tools. I think this might be the first wall to clear. It might take Avid releasing a new driver to fix this. Of the few earlier adopters out there, that have tested the M1, no one has mentioned HDX much. Apparently I am the crash-test dummy. I will jump on some more forums and see what is out there. I at least have my old machine to record with. I could return the M1 but I think the new machines will only get more expensive. It runs very well and Avid's urgency to support it has nothing to do with Apple. I would love to hear if anyone has had success with HDX.

Dunno if this would work - but on the latest version of Catalina, I was unable to get my HD hardware to show up. I used this workaround to manually load the driver - you will need to also go to security prefs to Ok, once you've typed this in. Again this is a 10.15.7 Fix for manually loading HD Driver (once installed) you only have to do it once. Not a programmer, not sure if it will work for BigSur and M1, just putting it out there, as it took me forever to find at the time. In Terminal write (without quotes) - "sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext" You will have to enter an admin PW.
Dolby & THX certification & IMAX.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacketUp View Post
Dunno if this would work - but on the latest version of Catalina, I was unable to get my HD hardware to show up. I used this workaround to manually load the driver - you will need to also go to security prefs to Ok, once you've typed this in. Again this is a 10.15.7 Fix for manually loading HD Driver (once installed) you only have to do it once. Not a programmer, not sure if it will work for BigSur and M1, just putting it out there, as it took me forever to find at the time. In Terminal write (without quotes) - "sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext" You will have to enter an admin PW.
I was able to load the driver but it still does not see HDX in Pro Tools.