Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: My Build and Questions

Quote:
Quote:
In response to your previous response I have the following questions for you or anyone else who wishes to help:

1) I'm thinking of going with this case - Antec Performance One P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case – Retail - $129.99
- This case comes with the following fans
1 rear 120mm Tricool fan (standard) with 3-speed control to balance quiet with cooling
1 top (standard) 120mm TriCool Fan
1 lower chamber (standard) 120mm x 38mm (thick) TriCool Fan
Would I notice a considerable difference if I replaced those 3 fans with 3 of the Noctua 120mm fans? And which one of the the two are better, there both the same price: $19.99
Quiet Case Fans - Noctua NF-S12-800 8 dB 120mm Case Fan
or
Quiet Case Fans - Noctua NF-S12 1200 17 dB 120mm Case Fan
2) For the processor cooling, there were two thermalright ultra 120 coolers available, but I was unsure which one I needed?
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail - $64.99
Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink - Retail - $59.99

Thanks in advance I can't wait to order this monster.
man, i got punch drunk lookin' at cases!! but after all the ones i looked at this is the one i really liked... LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail the layout is pretty sweet IMHO and the rebate ain't bad either
Yeah, I actually read one of your posts mentioning that case and that's also one I was considering. Thanks for the info bud. Sounds like you had a hell of a time choosing it
Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,
I wanted to give you all, especially sunburst a big thanks for such a great thread and all of your time and effort into helping others spec out their quads and answering questions. I'm about to order mine finally and I had a couple of questions. The list below is what I plan on ordering so far without the inclusion of a case and quiet fans.

1) Does anyone have any recommendations for a case tower or rack? If so any fan recommendations to go with it?
2) Is the 2 baracudas I listed below single platter drives?
3) What do you guys thinks of me using 1 raptor for the system and 2 baracudas for audio and backups. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing so?

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $209.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail - $279.99
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail - $59.99
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N - OEM – $35.99
ASUS EAX1600PRO SILENT/TD/256M Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card – Retail - $66.99
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory – Retail - $119 Each X 2 = $238.00 (4gb Total)
Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM - $149.99 (System)
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM -$109.99 (Audio and Backups)
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail $124.99

Thanks again!
It looks good. Your basically building my machine with a few modifications. Single platters drives are limited to the 250GB range the 320 that is listed in the Specs page is also single platter but picks uo a little extra storage because its perpandicular recording. In general the single platter drives run cooler and are more dependable-which is why I list them for the System and Audio drives.

I would recomend that you stick with those sizes for that reason.

Back up and Sample drives can be larger. I recommend that the Audio and Sample drives not be partitioned but left as single large volumes.

You can partition the System drive and any backup drives as you see fit.
My 320Gb system drive is split into 3 partitions, XP HOME+Pro Tools/MCE2005+Pro Tools/Vista (which is currently being used as storage for Drive Images).

Rapters are fast , Their Sexy and They are way over priced, Hot and Noisy. From a Pro Tools performance stand point you ar much better off with the 320 Seagates. Take the money saved and buy a couple of spare drives and a copy of Acronis True Image. I've pulled all of the Raptors out of my DAW-its cooler and quieter

I recommend 320GB Systen, 320GB Audio, somthing larger for Samples and something even larger for Backups.

Coolers, I'm running the Zalman 9700 and its pretty quiet and cools better than stock Intel HSF plus it manages to both pull air across the mother board and directs it right into the exhaust fans of a standard ATX case. All and all a very good design. If I could I would run a Thermal Right Ultra 120-its the absolute king of CPU coolers but its about 3/8 to tall for my case

Fans, the quietest 120mm fans are the Noctua's and the quietest 80mm fans are the Nexus. Both are carried at www.endpcnoise.com

Cases, If you want a tower case its hard to go wrong with the Antec P180-P190 series these were designed from the ground up to be quiet. I'm using (Reusing actually) a iStar Rack case Its sturdy and is the same type of case used by Spectral and Sweetwater for their Creation Station line. Its drawbacks are A) Doesn't have room for the Thermalright Ultra 120 B) It's some what limited on storage C) May be deeper than your rack-check your dimensions. It's good points are its very well made, Roomy, Easy to work in, Fairly cheap and its well ventilated.
Another option would be the Antec "TAKE 3" or "Take 4" series. They are pretty pricey though.

Newegg has a good selection of rackmount cases but they are not in the with the regular computer cases but listed under "Server" catagory. The biggest thing to keep in mind with a rack case is to get a 4 Unit sized case-they are the only ones that take a standard ATX PSU, All of the other 2U and 3U cases use hard to find oddly sized server PSU's which are hard to find and usually VERY noisy

Your parts list looks good and I'm not seing any thing imcompatiblies with it the way it is. A lot of what I've mentioned is simply my preferance. Built to suit your self and your studio.
Yeah, I definitely looked at your specs before coming up with my initial list. Thanks a lot for all of the great information you provided and such a quick response. Like I said your help has been invaluable. In response to your previous response I have the following questions for you or anyone else who wishes to help:

1) I'm thinking of going with this case - Antec Performance One P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case – Retail - $129.99
1 rear 120mm Tricool fan (standard) with 3-speed control to balance quiet with cooling
Would I notice a considerable difference if I replaced those 3 fans with 3 of the Noctua 120mm fans? And which one of the the two are better, there both the same price: $19.99
or
2) For the processor cooling, there were two thermalright ultra 120 coolers available, but I was unsure which one I needed?

The Tricools are actually very quiet on the lowest setting-that combined with the 180B case should be fine. I would try them before you order a replacement. You will probably be happy with the case fans the way they are, The "Extreme" Cooler is the one you want. You will need a extra 120mm fan for the Thermalright. You could order a extra Tricool fron newegg or snag a Noctua fron www.endpcnoise.com As I recall Vocal Vooodoo is using the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme in a Antec 180 so you should be okay there as far as fit goes.
Thanks again my man. If I was to change out the 3 included Tricools, do you think I Should add the Noctua 800Rpm 8dBA or 1200Rpm 17dBA? Will it provide enough cooling to the system running the 800 rpm fans? I would love to get the 800 rpm fans because of how quiet they are but only if they are suitable for the system. Would an 800 rpm noctua fan provide enough cooling to the Thermalright Ultra 120? That would be a total of 4 Noctuas.

Once, I figure out these fan options I think that will just about do it for my configuration and I can finalize my system and order it once and for all! I cant wait to get this system built and do some dverb testing .
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,
I wanted to give you all, especially sunburst a big thanks for such a great thread and all of your time and effort into helping others spec out their quads and answering questions. I'm about to order mine finally and I had a couple of questions. The list below is what I plan on ordering so far without the inclusion of a case and quiet fans.

1) Does anyone have any recommendations for a case tower or rack? If so any fan recommendations to go with it?
3) What do you guys thinks of me using 1 raptor for the system and 2 baracudas for audio and backups. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing so?

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $209.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail - $279.99
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N - OEM – $35.99
ASUS EAX1600PRO SILENT/TD/256M Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card – Retail - $66.99
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory – Retail - $119 Each X 2 = $238.00 (4gb Total)
Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM - $149.99 (System)
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM -$109.99 (Audio and Backups)
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail $124.99

Thanks again!
It looks good. Your basically building my machine with a few modifications. Single platters drives are limited to the 250GB range the 320 that is listed in the Specs page is also single platter but picks uo a little extra storage because its perpandicular recording. In general the single platter drives run cooler and are more dependable-which is why I list them for the System and Audio drives.

Back up and Sample drives can be larger. I recommend that the Audio and Sample drives not be partitioned but left as single large volumes.

My 320Gb system drive is split into 3 partitions, XP HOME+Pro Tools/MCE2005+Pro Tools/Vista (which is currently being used as storage for Drive Images).

Rapters are fast , Their Sexy and They are way over priced, Hot and Noisy. From a Pro Tools performance stand point you ar much better off with the 320 Seagates. Take the money saved and buy a couple of spare drives and a copy of Acronis True Image. I've pulled all of the Raptors out of my DAW-its cooler and quieter

I recommend 320GB Systen, 320GB Audio, somthing larger for Samples and something even larger for Backups.

Coolers, I'm running the Zalman 9700 and its pretty quiet and cools better than stock Intel HSF plus it manages to both pull air across the mother board and directs it right into the exhaust fans of a standard ATX case. All and all a very good design. If I could I would run a Thermal Right Ultra 120-its the absolute king of CPU coolers but its about 3/8 to tall for my case

Fans, the quietest 120mm fans are the Noctua's and the quietest 80mm fans are the Nexus. Both are carried at www.endpcnoise.com

Cases, If you want a tower case its hard to go wrong with the Antec P180-P190 series these were designed from the ground up to be quiet. I'm using (Reusing actually) a iStar Rack case Its sturdy and is the same type of case used by Spectral and Sweetwater for their Creation Station line. Its drawbacks are A) Doesn't have room for the Thermalright Ultra 120 B) It's some what limited on storage C) May be deeper than your rack-check your dimensions. It's good points are its very well made, Roomy, Easy to work in, Fairly cheap and its well ventilated.
Another option would be the Antec "TAKE 3" or "Take 4" series. They are pretty pricey though.

Newegg has a good selection of rackmount cases but they are not in the with the regular computer cases but listed under "Server" catagory. The biggest thing to keep in mind with a rack case is to get a 4 Unit sized case-they are the only ones that take a standard ATX PSU, All of the other 2U and 3U cases use hard to find oddly sized server PSU's which are hard to find and usually VERY noisy

Your parts list looks good and I'm not seing any thing imcompatiblies with it the way it is. A lot of what I've mentioned is simply my preferance. Built to suit your self and your studio.
Yeah, I definitely looked at your specs before coming up with my initial list. Thanks a lot for all of the great information you provided and such a quick response. Like I said your help has been invaluable. In response to your previous response I have the following questions for you or anyone else who wishes to help:

or

The Tricools are actually very quiet on the lowest setting-that combined with the 180B case should be fine. I would try them before you order a replacement. You will probably be happy with the case fans the way they are, The "Extreme" Cooler is the one you want. You will need a extra 120mm fan for the Thermalright. You could order a extra Tricool fron newegg or snag a Noctua fron www.endpcnoise.com As I recall Vocal Vooodoo is using the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme in a Antec 180 so you should be okay there as far as fit goes.
Thanks again my man. If I was to change out the 3 included Tricools, do you think I Should add the Noctua 800Rpm 8dBA or 1200Rpm 17dBA? Will it provide enough cooling to the system running the 800 rpm fans? I would love to get the 800 rpm fans because of how quiet they are but only if they are suitable for the system. Would an 800 rpm noctua fan provide enough cooling to the Thermalright Ultra 120? That would be a total of 4 Noctuas.

Once, I figure out these fan options I think that will just about do it for my configuration and I can finalize my system and order it once and for all! I cant wait to get this system built and do some dverb testing .
I would try the Tricools first.

I'm not sure which Noctua would be best. I will have to hit www.silentpcreview again and see what the differance is in CFM between the 2. It may be something that needs to be determined in in your case. You would certainly be safe with ordering the higher speed Noctua and using it for either the CPU fan or the case intake. That way if you needed more airflow more you could move the Tricool to the CPU cooler. Also let me double check with Vocal VooDoo and make sure he's running the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme in the 180.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks again!

or

I would try the Tricools first.

I'm not sure which Noctua would be best. I will have to hit www.silentpcreview again and see what the differance is in CFM between the 2. It may be something that needs to be determined in in your case. You would certainly be safe with ordering the higher speed Noctua and using it for either the CPU fan or the case intake. That way if you needed more airflow more you could move the Tricool to the CPU cooler. Also let me double check with Vocal VooDoo and make sure he's running the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme in the 180.
Ok, I will try the Tricools first. I have nothing to lose, you're right. I will purchase the 1200rpm noctua for the cpu cooler. I will wait to hear from you about the Thermalright Ultra 120 fitting in the 180 case. Thanks again sunburst, you are the man!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I will wait to hear from you about the Thermalright Ultra 120 fitting in the 180 case. Thanks again sunburst, you are the man!
I have the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler in an Antec 182 case and it fits fine, but it VERY heavy. I have it positioned so the fins are horizontal, and it sags a bit because gravity is working against it when positioned that way. You can't really see the sag, but the 2 processors on the top of the Q6600 run 2 to 3 degrees c hotter. If I push up on the fins, the top 2 processors even out temp wise with the bottom 2. (I have it setup this was so the 120mm fan on the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is drawing heat from the passive video card and pushing out the top of the case.) This sagging MAY not happen if the fins are positioned vertically.

Previously I had a Scythe Ninja REV2 which was quiet as hell, but didn't cool quite as well as the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. It did keep my B2 stepping Q6600 within safe operating ranges though. But overclocking the CPU would heat things up pretty bad. The Thermalright seems to work better under the duress of OCing.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I will wait to hear from you about the Thermalright Ultra 120 fitting in the 180 case. Thanks again sunburst, you are the man!
I have the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler in an Antec 182 case and it fits fine, but it VERY heavy. I have it positioned so the fins are horizontal, and it sags a bit because gravity is working against it when positioned that way. You can't really see the sag, but the 2 processors on the top of the Q6600 run 2 to 3 degrees c hotter. If I push up on the fins, the top 2 processors even out temp wise with the bottom 2. (I have it setup this was so the 120mm fan on the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is drawing heat from the passive video card and pushing out the top of the case.) This sagging MAY not happen if the fins are positioned vertically.

Previously I had a Scythe Ninja REV2 which was quiet as hell, but didn't cool quite as well as the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. It did keep my B2 stepping Q6600 within safe operating ranges though. But overclocking the CPU would heat things up pretty bad. The Thermalright seems to work better under the duress of OCing.
Hmmm, that's interesting. Would you get the thermal again if you could go back? Is the sag significant enough to make you get a different kind for an Antec 180 case? Or would you say its still cools the best for that processor?

Also, what kind of fans are you using in your case Vocalvoodoo?
Thanks in advanced!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM

I see Josh stopped in I talked to him earlier and I got the inpression he would recommend the Scyth Ninja (RevB?) first over the Ultra 120 Extreme. I'm not sure that flipping the cooler 180 degrees is going to make much of a differance... No matter what way the coolers positioned its going to be X amount of weight hanging off 4 tiny screws. Unless your over clocking the Ninja's should be fine plus you should be getting the cooler running G0 stepping series processer at this point in time. As far as the sag goes the only thing that's going to cure that would be laying it down like a rack case.

Newegg has apparently discontinued the Ninja Cooler. You can find it here

A review of 120mm fans and another here.

Heres a review on the Antec 182P case

The Ultra 120 Extreme cleared all of the stuff on my Mobo (heatsinks, caps etc), so does the Zalman CXPNS 9700. I can't say for sure that the Ninja will fit since I haven't tried one. It probably will and In a month or so I will probably try one.

Also the last 25-30% of my rack case is made out of perforated steel and any CPU fan noise comes right out the top of the case. With the Antec being enclosed I'm willing to bet that you would find the Zalman to be very quiet.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I see Josh stopped in I talked to him earlier and I got the inpression he would recommend the Scyth Ninja (RevB?) first over the Ultra 120 Extreme. I'm not sure that flipping the cooler 180 degrees is going to make much of a differance... no matter what way the coolers positioned its going to be X amount of weight hanging off 4 tiny screws. unless your over clocking the Ninjas should be fine plus you should be getting the cooler running G0 stepping series processer at this point in time. as far as the sag goes the only thing thats going to cure that would be laying it down like a rack case.

New egg has apparently discontinued the Ninja Cooler. You can find it here

The Ultra 120 Extreme cleared all of the stuff on my Mobo (heatsinks, caps etc), so does the Zalman CXPNS 9700. I can't say for sure that the Ninja will fit since I havent tried one. It probably will and In a month hor so I will probably try one.

Also the last 25-30% of my rack case is made out of perforated steel and any CPU fan noise comes right out the top of the case. With the Antec being enclosed I'm willing to bet that you would find the Zalman to be very quiet.
Thanks again, that helped out tremendously Sunburst. Well this is what my build is now looking like based on the advice on this thread.
-------------
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $149.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC
Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail $124.99
Quiet Case Fans - Noctua NF-S12-800RPM 8 dB 120mm Case Fan $19.75 ea. X3 = $59.25
Quiet CPU Fans - Intel - Scythe Ninja Plus B Quiet CPU Cooler with Fanless Option or Replaceable Fan - $44.95
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory – Retail - $119 X 2 = $238.00 - ($15X2 Mailin Rebate)
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive – OEM - $84.99 (System) (Audio)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM Backups - $194.99
------------------------

Now the only thing I'm wondering is whether or not the ninja will need a fan and whether or not the 3 800rpm noctuas will cool the entire case? Any last minute ideas?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I see Josh stopped in I talked to him earlier and I got the inpression he would recommend the Scyth Ninja (RevB?) first over the Ultra 120 Extreme. I'm not sure that flipping the cooler 180 degrees is going to make much of a differance... no matter what way the coolers positioned its going to be X amount of weight hanging off 4 tiny screws. unless your over clocking the Ninjas should be fine plus you should be getting the cooler running G0 stepping series processer at this point in time. as far as the sag goes the only thing thats going to cure that would be laying it down like a rack case.

New egg has apparently discontinued the Ninja Cooler. You can find it here

The Ultra 120 Extreme cleared all of the stuff on my Mobo (heatsinks, caps etc), so does the Zalman CXPNS 9700. I can't say for sure that the Ninja will fit since I havent tried one. It probably will and In a month hor so I will probably try one.

Thanks again, that helped out tremendously Sunburst. Well this is what my build is now looking like based on the advice on this thread.
-------------
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $149.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC
Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail $124.99
Quiet Case Fans - Noctua NF-S12-800RPM 8 dB 120mm Case Fan $19.75 ea. X3 = $59.25
Quiet CPU Fans - Intel - Scythe Ninja Plus B Quiet CPU Cooler with Fanless Option or Replaceable Fan - $44.95
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory – Retail - $119 X 2 = $238.00 - ($15X2 Mailin Rebate)
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive – OEM - $84.99 (System) (Audio)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM Backups - $194.99
------------------------

Now the only thing I'm wondering is whether or not the ninja will need a fan and whether or not the 3 800rpm noctuas will cool the entire case? Any last minute ideas?
If you read the description of the Noctuas closely you will see the come with something thats billed as a Ultra Low Noise Adapter that drops the RPM from 1200 to 600. I would go with the 1200 Noctua's and drop the RPM if need be. Your not going to be able to turn the 800 Noctua's up if they are not moving the air. I would definately mount a fan on the CPU cooler as insurance. I really think the Noctuas will be fine at thier stock speeds when they are buried in the case. Between the case, the fans , the PSU and the cooler you will have done everything that you possibly can to quiet it down and will hopefully be pleased with the outcome.

Asumimg the build goes well I will add the case, cooler e and the fans to the Spec page as optional components.

Drop me a email if you needs help with the build.

Last thing pick up a tube of Arctic Silver thermal paste for the heat sink.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 PM

Well, I'd probably but the Thermaltake again because I'm an overclock dork and can't stop. But for normal CPU clocking, I'd probably not get it again. Especially with the new G0 stepping as Sun mentioned. My Q6600 seems to run pretty hot though because it is a B2 stepping version.

The fans I'm running now are the Scythe NMB fans on both the back and top of the case and one of the 3 way switch fans that came with the case on the heatsink itself. When recording, I'll clock the case fans down with speedfan and switch the CPU fan to the lowest setting. I rarely use it anymore, but if you want specific temps, let me know and I'll fire it up.

I will say this, I was much happier with my e6600. Ran much cooler, and I only ran the fan that came with the Ninja, no case fans, and things stayed more than cool enough. I could hardly hear the fan running.