How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Default Re: From 9 upgrade ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Not correct. We still offer Perpetual licenses in addition to Subscriptions. (Annual Subscription is the same price as a Perpetual Upgrade so maybe that's causing confusion?)

Subscription is a temporary license. With this, you can only run Pro Tools while your subscription is active. It's like renting (which is why it's less expensive than buying a new perpetual license) and you don't need a previous license to subscribe. Might be a better option if budget is a concern or if you have a short term need (e.g. 2 month project that requires 4 systems running simultaneously).

Perpetual is a non-expiring license. This authorizes any versions released over the next 12 months. You can then renew to get another 12 months of releases, or let the Update Plan lapse and continue using your license to run any versions released up through your Plan's expiration date.
avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/Pro-Tools-Licensing-FAQ has more info on this topic but please ask if you need further clarification.
jeffro, and as well as others thank you so much for helping me. Boy being on 9 for so long a lot of things have changed, and great changes indeed.

I'm still on my 003 console, and would I be able (GAIN)or take advantages getting HD vs vanilla ?. Man I'm dating myself.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you are comparing perpetual and subscription?

A 1 year subscription is $299US, but that stops working at the end of a year. You can subscribe again (monthly or annually) as desired.

The $599US perpetual license never expires, so you can continue to run the latest version provided during your Update Plan's term.

Okay please forgive me?

A 1 year subscription is $299US, but that stops working at the end of a year.

But this is what I found ?
Avid Upgrade and Support plans provide software upgrades and customer support for one (1) year.
Once your license is covered by a support plan, you may continue to run your current version of Avid software for as long as you wish; you do not need to upgrade your license or your software. As upgrades become available, you can choose to either accept the upgrade or not at any time during the term of the support plan. At the end of the support period, the software will continue to run and you may use it indefinitely.

Please be gentle.
I what to upgrade from 9, and what I'm reading is (indefinitely). I'm ready to pull the trigger but like so many in the past I heard many stories of this and that ?

Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you are comparing perpetual and subscription?

A 1 year subscription is $299US, but that stops working at the end of a year. You can subscribe again (monthly or annually) as desired.

The $599US perpetual license never expires, so you can continue to run the latest version provided during your Update Plan's term.

Okay please forgive me?

A 1 year subscription is $299US, but that stops working at the end of a year.

But this is what I found ?
Avid Upgrade and Support plans provide software upgrades and customer support for one (1) year.
Once your license is covered by a support plan, you may continue to run your current version of Avid software for as long as you wish; you do not need to upgrade your license or your software. As upgrades become available, you can choose to either accept the upgrade or not at any time during the term of the support plan. At the end of the support period, the software will continue to run and you may use it indefinitely.

Please be gentle.
I what to upgrade from 9, and what I'm reading is (indefinitely). I'm ready to pull the trigger but like so many in the past I heard many stories of this and that ?

I just got off the chat line with Avid, if I upgrade from my PT9, for $299 subscription it will still run after a year, but I won't get any updates after the year unless I renew.

What suxs is that I can't use my Digi 003 console (BUMMER) !. So that leaves me out I guess for now.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:27 PM

You are making this harder for yourself than it should be. Most of the stuff you are asking about has info already online/findable.

I expect your 003 Console might work, but not be officially supported. You can check in about that on DUC. Start by searching for past posts.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are making this very hard for yourself.

I expect your 003 Console might work, but not be officially supported. You can check in that on DUC.
Darryl, I knew it was coming, and I deserve it (LOL). One post mentioned that it will no longer work after a year, and that was my biggest concern, and not to worried about updates anyways, just a stable release I guess.

I'll dig around if there are any 003 users.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:33 PM

... or post that clear question in a new thread if you can’t find anything. Sorry typing on an iPhone with a crappy connection and I was trying to soften how that post read.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:20 PM

I hear you brutha ?LOL
Posted on another section indeed.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
...I just got off the chat line with Avid, if I upgrade from my PT9, for $299 subscription it will still run after a year, but I won't get any updates after the year unless I renew...
There are 2 license types: Perpetual and Subscription.

It's easy to lump everything together and call it subscription, and having the Annual Subscription and Perpetual Upgrade both priced at $299 might be adding to the confusion.

You have a Perpetual license (you own it and it never expires) not a Subscription (which is like renting).

You can upgrade your license for $299 - you'll get a bundle of perpetual licenses and any new versions released for a year. You can then renew the Update Plan to get another year of releases or let it lapse and continue using any version provided.

Buying an Annual Subscription (also $299) would get you new releases for a year, but the license would stop working after a year. This is really more of an option for new users as an alternative to buying a new perpetual license for $599.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 PM

Thank you so kindly jeffro.

Looking forward to it, as soon as find out more that I can still use my 003. Not supported, although many are using it with 2018, and I have to make sure I make the correct moves.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
...as soon as find out more that I can still use my 003. Not supported, although many are using it with 2018...
You could check it out using the Pro Tools Trial (on a clone of your system drive if possible) to see if the current version works for you.