How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Computer Monitor placement

Hello All,
As I have now gotten down to some work with the ICON, I have realized that the monitor on the arm is just horrible, it is reflecting all kinds of sounds from my speaker. When I removed it, the sound is so much better! However, I need that screen
So, for now, I have to the side on a little cart, But, I am wondering what solutions you may have come up with.
Does anyone know of a clamp or something that can be put on the top of the board. that can put a monitor between speakers and not in front? Or mabybe and arm that can be swung all the way out of the while mixing...
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Computer Monitor placement

Good question!! This was always my main concern in getting a D-Control and 9 months later, it's still an issue of sorts. I've got a Dell 30" off the side to my right which is great for keeping certain plugs and windows pinned (bus compressors, Undo History, etc.) but I still do the main editing on an Apple 20" on the ICON supplied arm in front of me.

I see some studios have gone with a large plasma or LCD TV further away but I'm not sure how good an idea this is. We've got a 37" LCD as a TV in here already and I've put Pro Tools up onto it. It looked a little odd, most likely due to the reduced resolution which was only 13xx x 768.

If we were only ever doing stereo I'm sure an answer would be easier to find but with surround you've also got to consider that pesky centre speaker too.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM

Yeah the center speaker is a problem...
Now, in my fantasy world (where my car levitates over traffic) the screen would decend into that empty section where it sits by pushing a button on the console so when I am in final mix mode I can hear...Then when I need to edit and mess around in Pro Tools I could push the same button and it would rise up...

Back to reality, we are looking at mounting two monitors on arms from the wall behind the console and flying them in on arms that can be pushed off to the side... I'f this works Ill send a photo.
For the meantime I have my screen off to the side like most other people do.

You know, another cool idea would be to remove the center units (EQ, Surround) etc to another location and have that entire area be an intergrated flat panal screen....hmmmmm new design anyone?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Makes you wonder how the current design got approved and to market.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.