Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Default The Best Mix in the History of Rock and Roll (using commercial songs as a guide)

Using a commercially produced song (imported into a session) as an EQ/sonic and/or volume guide is a common practice among producer/engineers I've worked with over the years. One friend still uses Steely Dan cuts from the 70s to use as an EQ guide as well as general inspiration.

Assuming you use this practice, what's your list of the 5 BEST mixed songs since say...1967 heretofore? Or if not the best mixed songs, 5 songs you've used for mixing inspiration and why.
-------------------------------------

I'm currently using She Will Be Loved by Maroon5 for "inspiration" for a mix with a singer that has very similar vocal tones.

4 other songs I've used in the past to varying degrees:

2. Journey - Don't Stop Believing - why: drums/guitars/vox mix
3. Faith No More - Epic - why: overlapping genres
4. U2 - Gloria - why: guitar efx/echo
5. The Police - Message In a Bottle - why: guitar sound/drum mix

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Default Re: The Best Mix in the History of Rock and Roll

Hi,

Green Day. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams is one of my fav's

I also take it out with me when i do FOH sound.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM

The new Volbeat ("Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies") mixed by Chris Lord Alge is ear candy and my new reference for all things rock and metal.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 PM

Give a listen to some of the totally "uncool" stuff from 67 thru 72.

The Grass Roots - "Where Were You When I Needed You", "Midnight Confessions", "Temptation Eyes".

Three Dog Night - "Joy To The World", just about anything by them.

B.J. Thomas - "Eyes Of A New York Woman" and just about anything by anybody that came out of Ardent Studios in Memphis.

The Beach Boys - Just about anything from 65 or so on.

You have to keep in mind that, like stuff from the late 70's, 80's, and 90's was mixed for FM radio, the stuff I suggested was mixed for AM radio. And remember that we were hammering it with tons of compression from Gates Sta-Levels and CBS Audimax and Volumax units (I was a disc jockey from 67 - 78).

When you consider the equipment available in that time period some of those mixes are absolutely amazing. Check 'em out...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Give a listen to some of the totally "uncool" stuff from 67 thru 72.
yep
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Best mixed is a subjective measure. Best sounding is more like it. There are lots of well mixed songs that don't have the ideal sonic width you need to sound out a room.

That's why I like "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon. It's got a nice crisp top end and a tight lo end. The bottom organ note on the chorus of "Us & Them", by Pink Floyd can really push your system...

I also have a Dylan song I did several years ago that I know well, and I can judge a room's acoustics in about 20 seconds.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 PM

" Calling Elvis " - Dire Straights Neil Dorfsman mix
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 AM

Michael Jackson - Thriller album Why: Analog warmth, balance, multiple instruments, versatility, separation and clarity

Daft Punk - Bring Life back to music Why: Analog warmth, Punchy bass and drums, balance, Retro/modern disco

Radiohead - Paranoid Android Why: Acoustic/Electric guitars, complex vocal layers/harmonies, keys, synth, clarity, separation, panning

The Eagles - Take it easy Why: Acoustic/electric/lead guitars, keys, vocal harmonies, balance, analog warmth

Queen - Killer Queen Why: Multi layered vocals, piano, rhythm section, guitars, punch

Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim - Girl From Ipanema Why: Authentic Jazz dynamics, analog warmth, quiet steady classical guitar and stand up bass

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers

Last edited by louieshowers; 06-06-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM

I usually have the band supply some ref points... since that's what they'll compare my mix to. But when left to my own devices...

Modern Rock - Nickelback - All the Right Reasons

80s Rock - Def Leppard - all from High n Dry to Hysteria

Classic Metal rock - Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind - clean and not blasted in mastering, punch and classic metal sound. (referring to vinyl and not the re-re-remastered version)

Doom Metal rock- Black Sabbath first album - its dated sounding but thats what the kiddies want.

Super Modern Pop Rock Country - the new Lady Antebellum album is warm and not over mastered. I haven't listened a ton yet, but its fat on the bottom, smooth on the top and you can crank it in the car without getting a migraine. I love the sound.

Plain Rock - ACDC Back in Black - pick a song. it IS rock.

Roots Rock - Counting Crowes - August and Everything After or Mellencamp
s Mellencamp album (the one with Not Running Anymore on it) - guitars, vocals, mix in general

Blues based rock - Eric Clapton Slowhand - dingy dirty 70s. when people didn't edit their songs together.

Emo Rock - All American Rejects Move Along/ Green Day's American Idiot

i have to stop now....
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Great responses. I'm gonna research the newer cuts listed. I own most of the pre-1990 cuts listed and share the sentiments about the quality of those classic songs.

I would also like to see a list of songs that you think are NOT good mixes, as I learn as much from bad examples as good. I was listening to the song BRANDY by Looking Glass on the radio yesterday and the background vocals were ridiculously loud. Interestingly, I checked it out on youtube and the mix was ok, apparently the compression on the radio had artificially jacked up the harmonies to the point of absurdity.

I wonder if that happens as much with digitally produced music as it does with analog?

Keep the lists coming, good stuff

aj

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.