Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-17-2002, 09:44 PM

Default I would like to be able to burn two CDs at the same time (to save some time! ;)

I would like to be able to burn two CDs at the same time (to save some time! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )...

Anybody here burn two CDs simultaneously? If so, please tell me about it:

I am curious if it is a fairly 'stable' procedure or not. Do you get many errors? What sort of programs and hardware and do you use. And what is a good setup for burning to multiple CDRW drives?

What might be a good setup for me? Here is my System:

Dell Dimension4100 series
Pentium III Processor at 933MHz
512 MB SDRAM at 133MHz
40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
60GB Hard Drive
Plexwriter16/10/40A
using WinXP
Audiomedia III soundcard from digidesign

Thanks
Old 11-18-2002, 01:23 AM

Default Re: I would like to be able to burn two CDs at the same time (to save some time! ;)

I'm not an expert, but two solutions come to my mind: the first one is to use a SCSI chain of CDRW units (you can link up to 8 in a regular SCSI mode) and use an app like Nero that allows to run multiple burners at once; the second is to get a replication device (like those from Microboards or the likes) that basically is the same thing, but preconfigured, you only need to attach it to your workstation; these devices are good for low-scale replication, although I'm not sure about their capability of burning "audio" CDs; about the effective quality of the burned CD it depends on a lot of factors (speed, media used, quality of the laser, quality of the burning app... there's lots of info on the DUC, just do a search), so you have to put all of the pieces together to have a correct picture of the subject, but IMO for the best results audio masters should be burned one at a time, unless you have dedicated, commercial replication plant devices.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:19 AM

Default Re: I would like to be able to burn two CDs at the same time (to save some time! ;)

I would have to agree that Nero would be the software of choice... If per-chance you had a wild hair and wanted to go for the gusto, you could check this unit out:

http://www.otari.com/products/CDP64.html

This unit burns 64 disks at the same time, equiped with 12x CD-R's.

~Cheers~
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 11-18-2002, 10:45 AM

I use Nero and 2 Sony 8X burners. I tried it with faster burners (32X) and it didn't work - Nero's help desk is completely worthless. Dialed back to slower speeds but never did get it work. Since I re-installed the slower drives I haven't been able to try faster burn speeds (the fast ones - Sony's - both died) Bottom line it's quicker (and cheaper, no extra burner or Nero Pro to buy) to do one at a time on a 48X burner.

Just my experience.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:36 AM

I did'nt know Nero had this feature. Thanks for the info.

I have heard that Padus Disk Juggler has been able to do 'simultaneous CD burning for a long time.

I tell you what I would really like: I wish I could burn two CDs simultaneously with my WaveLab. I really love burning strait from my WaveLab.

Thanks,

GuitarEasley
Old 11-18-2002, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GuitarEasley:
I have heard that Padus Disk Juggler has been able to do 'simultaneous CD burning for a long time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, I'm not sure if it's still an option, but they used to support an unlimited number of recorders. DiscJuggler is a nice program with very professional controls and access to lots of different options for your disc.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 11-18-2002, 05:59 PM

I would really go with the QD2 from Microboards if I were you. I have had over 300 burns with not a single problem, well, only when the someone turned off the power switch on me. But seriously, this would be the best bet. They go for $300 at Guitar Center.

http://www.microboards.com/current/p.../dup_qd1.shtml
Old 11-18-2002, 08:46 PM

Vaphoron,
wow... that Quick Disc QD-2 Duplicator looks pretty cool. Not to mention, the $300 price tag sounds pretty reasonable!

Thanks I will definately have to consider the QD-2.

Vaphoron, what sort of software program(s) have you used while burning with the QD-2?