Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-08-2019, 11:56 PM

Default "Tab to transients" question

With it off, both tab and L (or ') move the cursor to clip ends. With it on, both tab and L/' move the cursor to the next/previous transient.

Why does L/' follow tab to transient? Wouldn't it be more efficient and make more sense to have tab to transients and L/' to clip ends? (Or even vice versa.)

Is there some other shortcut I'm missing? I want to be able to move to clip ends and transients on the fly without toggling "tab to transients."
Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 AM

Default Re: "Tab to transients" question

Pretty sure there's no shortcut to toggle Tab to Transient, but of course simple to do with Keyboard Maestro.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-09-2019, 08:04 AM

The shortcut is cmd+opt+tab but I don't think that's what jscomposer is really asking.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
With it off, both tab and L (or ') move the cursor to clip ends. With it on, both tab and L/' move the cursor to the next/previous transient.

Why does L/' follow tab to transient? Wouldn't it be more efficient and make more sense to have tab to transients and L/' to clip ends? (Or even vice versa.)

Is there some other shortcut I'm missing? I want to be able to move to clip ends and transients on the fly without toggling "tab to transients."
Have a good look around in here

http://www.protoolskeyboardshortcuts...ard-shortcuts/

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-09-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Have a good look around in here

http://www.protoolskeyboardshortcuts...ard-shortcuts/

Stephen
I don't think that's a reliable source. They got ^tab for both "locate cursor to previous clip boundary" and "go to and select next clip."

I was using the PT Shortcuts guide that comes with PT. I don't see what I'm looking for in either.

I sincerely hope I'm missing something, because it makes no sense to have L and ' obey the "tab to transients" button. Even the PT Shortcuts guide says L and ' move the insertion to previous/next edit, no mention of whether "tab to transients" is on or off. So maybe this is bug/mistake?
Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM

jscomposer I understand that you want L and the tab key to obey different rules. I don't believe that's currently possible but I too think it would be useful.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:14 PM

Essentially, there's a redundancy and inefficiency here. There's really no need for a latching "tab to transients" (TTT) switch at all. Possible solutions for Avid to consider:

1) Arrow up/down keys move insertion to next/previous clip boundaries. This sort of happens already in a limited sense: given a selection, up moves insertion to selection end, down moves it to selection start. They could just extend that. This would keep the muscle memory folks happy, unless I'm missing some other function or complication with having up/down keys do this. (Personally, I'd rather have right/left arrow keys do this, and have up/down arrow keys "center on selection start/end," but whatever.)

2) Tab and L/' are always opposite. So with TTT on, L/' goes to clip boundaries. With it off, L/' goes to transients. For the muscle memory folks, this would be a disturbance, but at least give you the option of setting it to the mode you use most. Once set to your preference, you never have to toggle TTT again. However, options are more a Reaper thing than Avid, which leaves us with...

3) Do away with the TTT switch altogether. Make tab always to transients, L/' always to clip boundaries, or vice versa. I'd say L/' always to transients, since shortcuts like ^tab and ^shift-tab work on whole clips and boundaries even with TTT on. Though I could see how the muscle memory folks would disagree.