Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Perhaps this time....

I also was under the impression that bars, restaurants, nightclubs, etc., had to pay a fee to Ascap. In fact, I had a friend years back whose job was to collect fees from bars and clubs in and around the Baltimore/DC corridor. There were tons of cover bands playing the circuit at the time. Is the law different now?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
do bars in canada actually do that?? or are they "supposed" to do that as here?? i would get laughed out of the room if i brought this up to any bar i have been in. but i guess its much in the same way some restaurants will sing happy birthday and others have their own variation of it. its the purpose of the PA form regardless of how ridiculous it gets.
Yes if bars don't do that, they can get fined, prosecute, lose their establishment licenses (including alcohol). It's not a choice. They do it or they can't operate, any one ever tried running a bar without any music playing at all? The ASCAP is the equivalent of the CMRAA, I would assume that it's the same in the US, where you don't have a choice to pay those licensing if you want to operate.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 AM

So it's kinda' like, It's ok as long as you don't get caught. And yes, there are laws that govern fair use and try to protect copyrights, if Monday falls on a Friday this week! A veritible can of legal worms! To the guy that made such an issue about my post as in, how was the kid on You tube hurting me or taking money from me? That's not the issue! He isn't doing either to me personally but the piece he was attempting to play was a copyrighted work. Did he obtain the necessary copyright permissions before posting? My guess is he probably didn't. and if he didn't he is breaking the law! And he is certainly not alone. Let me say that I am a true believer in creative licensce and that music composers and recording artists should be paid fairly for their creative contributions. There are those who would like to be able to contribute their talents as musicians and singers who, for whatever reason don't because of existing laws. I would like to be able to post some of my recorded work, just to get some feedback on my recording skills (or lack of same) but, since I don't compose, the posts would have to be covers. So, I don't post, but I'm sure others do. I guess that just makes me honest (?) My point is, the current laws that are supposed to be protecting copyrighted works are too far reaching and complicated and as a result, are unenforceable due to lack of due diligence by Internet sites that allow pirating of said copyrighted works. How is the fact that they are operating a web site instead of a bar or nightclub any different? (let's not whip this dead horse any more).
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 AM

if u want to do a cover it is far easier than sampling... u do have to ask permission in writing but they copyright holder has to give permission and their is a set fee... whereas in sampling they do not have to give permission and their is no set fee that is the law currently...
Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Wink Re: Perhaps this time....

Nerd, Call it whatever you want! It's still stealing, (or, so as not to stir up another argument, barrowing, musical ideas that someone else concieved. OK, so say ametuer mucician X is impressed by a riff or musical interlude he heard on a Beatles recording. We all have been. Barrowing or stealing,(or sampling), it only serves to call attention to the thiefs lack of talent and inability to use his own imagination. Think of a world where talent and imagination were non existent! No new ideas! No creative thought! All music and art cloned from a previous generations contributions! (Perhaps a bit over dramatic but I'm trying to make my point!)And I'm finished.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Nerd, Call it whatever you want! It's still stealing, (or, so as not to stir up another argument, barrowing, musical ideas that someone else concieved. OK, so say ametuer mucician X is impressed by a riff or musical interlude he heard on a Beatles recording. We all have been. Barrowing or stealing,(or sampling), it only serves to call attention to the thiefs lack of talent and inability to use his own imagination. Think of a world where talent and imagination were non existent! No new ideas! No creative thought! All music and art cloned from a previous generations contributions! (Perhaps a bit over dramatic but I'm trying to make my point!)And I'm finished.
Yes if it's done on purpose and no.. There comes a time where you will unfortunately and unconsciously reproduce something that might be similar. Music after all only has 12 semi tones interval and so many chords.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
its not stealing if u pay 8 cents a copy and u played the music urself sorry
Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
its not stealing if u pay 8 cents a copy and u played the music urself sorry
We all should say THANK YOU to Bach for non-patenting the Wellness of Clavier Tempering. Isn't it time for revolution?

We have this ACTA thingy going on here in EU and it makes me thinking again: when I play someone's song, and I make the listener interested in the original performer/author should I PAY for advertising them???
Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
We all should say THANK YOU to Bach for non-patenting the Wellness of Clavier Tempering. Isn't it time for revolution?

We have this ACTA thingy going on here in EU and it makes me thinking again: when I play someone's song, and I make the listener interested in the original performer/author should I PAY for advertising them???
I wouldn't look at it as advertising them, more than using their fruit of inspiration to your profit :)

It's almost like paying your lawyer after he represented you and saved you from something or an other.. well okay that's off in the wrong picture but you get what I mean. You use someone else creation to make money (assuming you were speaking of playing their song at a show here), obviously you should return to Cesar what belongs to Cesar.

Wave-T.com