Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 11:24 PM

Default BEST headphones for monitoring???!!!

Hi ..Using Mbox & small compact studio..not much room (headphones are what I use) I have SOny 7506, which is pretty standard headphones I think? I'm trying to find a pair that gives a good overall EQ. My mix sounds good but is a little bassey with the SOny.... and I heard to play your mixes through many types (if you can), to get a good overall mixes.... on different monitors, but I can't now...is there a good headphone that will get the spectrum sound? Thanks for your input.
Oh, I have a pair of (so called Fostex.... that was suggested... down to 5hz for bass) they are just an extra pair.. now LOL .... but they are not as clear as the Sony. Is more money the key? Thanks again.................... ::
Old 10-16-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: BEST headphones for monitoring???!!!

I've tried ATH-D40fs.
Its mid is too harsh for me.

For Sony 7506.
It is pretty nice, precise sounding. However, its ear covers broke into piece spontaneously.

Beyerdynamics, DT100
It is only good for tracking vocal.

I love beyerdynamics DT250 the best. Precise sounding with balanced musical taste.

Kinglok
Old 10-16-2005, 06:10 AM

I use and love Beyerdynamic DT 150.
You should check out all the suggested Beyerdynamic´s, they´re all very good.
what also helps is a good Headphone Amp. I always suggest the Lake People Stuff.
http://www.lake-people.de/Home_Engli...e_english.html

Cheers, Andi

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 10-16-2005, 06:22 AM

7506s are/were the standard for years, but truthfully, I don't think that they're that accurate and they will fatigue your ears in no time flat. I heard a pair of Sony's in a boutique CD store (back in 2000) and was blown away at the time. I bought a pair (MDR-V600 is the model #) on ebay (brand new) for about $60 and I think they are way more accurate and far less ear-fatiguing. They make 2 other, more expensive models in this range (700s and 900s) and they may be even better.

Is anyone else using these?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:17 AM

I use AKG K240M... mostly for post production work on film and TV.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:52 AM

I compared the Sonys with the Sennheiser HD 280 pro, and got the Sennheisers. The Sonys sounded too "scooped" to my ears. The 280 pro are also 64ohm so you can drive 'em with almost anything.

I just bought a pair of Sony MDR-EX71SL ear bud to use with my iPod Mini. They sound pretty good, but a little "scooped" too. Must be a Sony thing.

I wanted the Shure E2C but they were a little out of budget right now.

http://www.headphone.com/
Old 10-16-2005, 09:42 AM

Thanks everyone..... I have read some reviews on these.. through out the internet.....some are affordable if you search around... but that's what I'll need I guess to proceed. I will wait for more responces maybe and then do some shopping. I didn't realize my 7506's were that "old school" ! The 900 Sony's..... looks like some famous singers (studio clips of singing) are using them, I guess they can't that bad? So I will keep an eye on this forum. And the Beyers.... look good too. Thanks.I appreciate your suggestions.... very helpful. Including the headphone amp suggestion also, just need to get good quality gear.. in all aspects.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:29 AM

if you get a head amp, get a Lake People. believe me.

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 10-16-2005, 10:30 AM

I recently got a pair of Ultrasone ProLine 750's, and am still in total awe of how accurate and transparent they are - you might want to check them out. (No, I don't work for them!)
Old 10-16-2005, 01:36 PM

I posted a similar question a year or so back, several people suggested Sennheiser HD600.
Two very useful sites were also recomended:

http://www.headphone.com
&
http://headwize.com

Having consulted these resources, other tips on this forum, and most importantly my ears, I got the Sennheiser HD600s as I found them accurate and comfortable for extended periods.