Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 01:11 PM

Default Giving up PC...Need help

Hey guys, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered 10 thousand times but I would really appreciate everyone's input. I'm about to buy a G4 at a really good price. I wanted to know if this is a good system to run Digi on? These are the specs:

G4
450 Mhz
256 MB Ram
20 Gig Hard Drive
40 Gig Hard Drive (I'm adding that)

...Is this a decent system...also, If I brought a 400Mhz, how difficult would it be to up grade the processor...thanks everyone!!! Also, would you guys know of any Mac stores in the LA area?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Giving up PC...Need help

Yes, those specs look okay. Just make sure you're not running OSX. Also, ram is very cheap right now so go ahead and purchase another 256MB from crucial.com. (because they have extremely good customer service.) Best wishes and welcome on board. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 01:59 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Obscene:
would you guys know of any Mac stores in the LA area?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've bought many Mac's from Creative Computers on Wilshire in Santa Monica. But I tend to buy most things online now.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:13 PM

I know that this is irrelvant to the thread and I'm sorry if I'm out of place.....

Hey Bassmac, I see that you live in LA. Right? I live in the valley and I've been a little curious as to who lives here in CA and work with the Digi 001. I'm a newbie and I need help getting everything up and running. Think you can help me out?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Hypekeez([email protected]) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 03:28 PM

for mac stuff in L.A. call my friend Ron at Clubmac.

They are in Irvine, so he will ship it to you for free.

He is a digi junkie like me, AND hates his job. So if you tell him you were refered by me, he will sell you WHATEVER you want from them at like 3 or 4 points over cost.

(his way of "paying them back" for changing the payscale a few months ago.)

And they also have good RAM prices too.

888-258-2622
X 4267 Ron O
Old 01-28-2002, 03:36 PM

Dont forget to visit http://dealmac.com and their forums.

6am eternal
Old 01-28-2002, 03:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hypekeez:
I know that this is irrelvant to the thread and I'm sorry if I'm out of place.....

Hey Bassmac, I see that you live in LA. Right? I live in the valley and I've been a little curious as to who lives here in CA and work with the Digi 001. I'm a newbie and I need help getting everything up and running. Think you can help me out?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Hypekeez([email protected]) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, send me an e-mail with your phone#.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:47 PM

Hey Obscene: It sounds like a pretty good system. I would also agree that you need more RAM. Are you getting the G4 from a private party or a store? The reason I am asking, is that for a few hundred more you can probably get the Quicksilver 733Mhz G4. I paid $1699 for mine. With Macs (unlike PC's), the prices don't fluctuate very much, unless it's a closeout. I live in the Valley & decided just to get mine from a retailer. They're all about the same. Regardless, you'll love the Mac (as we all do). [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 03:52 PM

I'm getting this Mac from a store in the Valley...I'm pretty new to Mac's...I've been strictly a PC user from the time I touched a computer so my inexperience with Mac's my result in some "dumb" questions for you guys [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] so please forgive me
Old 01-28-2002, 07:50 PM

Obscene:
I just checked Pricewatch.com. It seems, with the release of the new G4's introduced at the CES, the price of the 733's has come down to about $1550.00. Go check it out. Of course, the danger in purchasing online is they're there and your here (in case anything goes wrong). There's an Apple store at the Glendale Galleria. Or you can go to Fry's or CompUSA (where I bought mine). They're all about the same. Good luck! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]