Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-12-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Anyone ever tried to transfer ownership of an ilok

I have been dealing with ilok for a few weeks now trying to figure out how to transfer registration of an ilok (the whole physical ilok and all its associated plug-ins not just a few licenses) from one owner to another without having to pay $25 per license and buy a new ilok to do it... apparently there's just no easy way to do this on ilok.com.

I tried contacting ilok technical support but they say that this is uncommon. I am wondering if anyone else has ever had to do this or if it really is as rare as they claim it is. Their tech support is prompt but incredibly frustrating.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever tried to transfer ownership of an ilok

The easiest method is to buy a new iLok which has never been synchronized... put it on your account and transfer all the assets to it for free... you have a week grace period (or so - check the iLok web site) to transfer the new iLok to a new account -- you'd remove it from your account and then synch it to the new account.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-13-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever tried to transfer ownership of an ilok

Hi,

I guess you could sell your ilok.com user account with the ilok. And register a new account if you ever want to use ilok again. this would be quicker that buying a new ilok. you could change the password before sending the ilok etc.

I don't think there's any reason why this couldn't be done!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever tried to transfer ownership of an

I had a friend that tried to sell his iLok. He was in law school at the time and apparently found some kind of loop-hole in the iLok liscense that he thought would allow him to sell the iLok with all included plug-ins.

One night when we were working on a session, about six guys in black ski masks and fatigues with the iLok logo on them broke into out garage studio and put us on the floor. After determining which of us was who, they hand-cuffed him and took him away in an un-marked white van.

When I went to the police, they said that there was nothing they could do, since I didn't see any faces and they didn't know what "iLok" was. Although, strangely I could have sworn that the cop that I talked to, had an iLok on the back of his computer. When I asked about it, he said I wasn't authorized to know anything about their computers and had a couple of other thugs--I means cops esscort me out of the police station.

That was almost seven months ago. I haven't seen or heard form my friend since.

It's probably best that you don't ask too many questions regarding iLok.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-14-2005, 01:54 PM

There is a clause in the iLok EULA that states that iLok can defend their propriety with extreme prejudice.
A friend of mine got real nervous on reading this too
DigiOO2 Factory
Old 05-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Quote:

It's probably best that you don't ask too many questions regarding iLok.
is it normal to laugh so much you piss your pants
Old 05-14-2005, 07:59 PM

what i love about ilok is their prompt responses to users questions here on the DUC. Thanks again, Ilok, for making us all so glad to use your product!

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 05-14-2005, 09:19 PM

SO I got to thinkg: how much do we really know about this iLok group? Well I know that iLok is a technology developed and run by a company called PACE anit-piracy. They apparently have been around for between 14 and 20 years, depending on which page of their WEBSITE you look at. I wonder who owns PACE/iLok? How many people do you think work for them? Mabey no one ever hears from them because it's really just one guy who's struggling to make a living because people keep breaking his copy protection schemes...

I did find this line from their press release regarding iLok, back in 2000, very interesting though
Quote:
iLok-enabled software products will ship with an iLok hardware device, or "key", containing the authorization license necessary to activate and run the software.
Gee, this seems the indicate that you are supposed to get your iLok key free with the software that you purchase that is supposed to use it.

Well, here's som interesting information. the Better Business Bureau of San Jose, CA report on PACE Anti-Piracy. I was close. It's owned by one guy, named Allen Cronce. Funny though, according to the BBB report, PACE has only been a member of the BBB since January of 2004, but they have been doing business since 1985.

A google search turned up THIS PAGE regarding PACE employees playing Quake III and thereby rendering their company intranet vulnerable to attack. he he heh. He describes his business as having a "20 node netowrk"--tiny by business standards. I guess that's why iLok needs to charge such outrageous fees for their service, so they can afford the keep their people playing online game, instead of responding to community discontent.

Oh, and a P.O box for a corporate address? He probably does operate out of his basement, or his mother's attic.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One