Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2019, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Using VEP6 with two Macs to offload CPU ??

I just noticed on the VEP website that if you prefer order VEP7 it will give you access to download and install VEP6.
Does this mean that I can use VEP6 until VEP7 becomes available?
That is good!
Old 02-20-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ivan View Post
I just noticed on the VEP website that if you prefer order VEP7 it will give you access to download and install VEP6.
Does this mean that I can use VEP6 until VEP7 becomes available?
That is good!
It would seem so according to the info box at the bottom of this page in the 'Full Purchase' section: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Software/Vienna_Ensemble_Pro

I'd like to know more of what's in version 7 but think I'll take a leap of faith and jump on it at the reduced upgrade price. And thanks for the birthday well-wishes.

QAPLA!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:40 AM

I was on the phone with Apple this morning and they say I can update to Sierra but my machine will go no higher.
I am happy with this as it gets me away from El Capitan and is only 2 behind current OS.

Great introduction price for VEP7 so going to go with that.
I emailed them and they say they do not have a release date yet but I will be able to install VEP6 in the meantime.
I also explained to them the setup I am hoping to have and they responded with this:

Regarding the question about the licenses:
This depends on your setup.
If you use VE Pro 7 on one computer only, you will only need one license.
If you want to use VE Pro in a network, you will need additional licenses which you can purchase at a reduced price.

For a network setup: Every computer that runs a VE Pro SERVER (and lets you load plug-ins in that server) will need one license and one ViennaKey or other USB eLicenser (you can also use a Steinberg Key, if you already have one or can get it faster).

You will NOT need a ViennaKey on your master computer if you don’t plan to use the VE Pro Server on the master computer. The VE Pro plug-in that connects from your sequencer to the available servers in your network does not need a license to run.

Any further thoughts?
Old 02-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I was on the phone with Apple this morning and they say I can update to Sierra but my machine will go no higher.
I am happy with this as it gets me away from El Capitan and is only 2 behind current OS.

Great introduction price for VEP7 so going to go with that.
I emailed them and they say they do not have a release date yet but I will be able to install VEP6 in the meantime.
I also explained to them the setup I am hoping to have and they responded with this:

Regarding the question about the licenses:
This depends on your setup.
If you use VE Pro 7 on one computer only, you will only need one license.
If you want to use VE Pro in a network, you will need additional licenses which you can purchase at a reduced price.

For a network setup: Every computer that runs a VE Pro SERVER (and lets you load plug-ins in that server) will need one license and one ViennaKey or other USB eLicenser (you can also use a Steinberg Key, if you already have one or can get it faster).

You will NOT need a ViennaKey on your master computer if you don’t plan to use the VE Pro Server on the master computer. The VE Pro plug-in that connects from your sequencer to the available servers in your network does not need a license to run.

Any further thoughts?
I would get the second license so you could run servers on both machines. That would give you a lot of flexibility. When I had my two machine setup I ran my sample-based vi's on the server (iMac) and all other vi's on the client (MacPro) in VEPro. Helped split the load up. The other reason was less eye strain long-term as everything was small on the iMac and much easier to work with for hours on end with the monitor (1080x1920) on the MacPro. OH yeah - I used screen sharing so I could see what was on the iMac on my MacPro's screen.

The latter is something I don't think we touched on - which screen is going to be easier for you to work on long-term?

QAPLA!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:26 PM

I was thinking of running the iMac as the main computer and the MBP as the sever.
iMac with Pro Tools on it.

MPB with all the EWQL on it as PLAY is a bit of a sucker for the CPU and load them all through VEP7.
iMac with NI Komplete and all Waves on it.
Unless you think the MPB could handle EWQL & NI??

I was going to do screen share so I could quickly switch between them.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of running the iMac as the main computer and the MBP as the sever.
iMac with Pro Tools on it.

MPB with all the EWQL on it as PLAY is a bit of a sucker for the CPU and load them all through VEP7.
iMac with NI Komplete and all Waves on it.
Unless you think the MPB could handle EWQL & NI??

I was going to do screen share so I could quickly switch between them.
The MBP could handle both but make sure the sample libraries are on fast ssd's. But really I would split them with Play on one and NI on the other running VEPro servers on both which would mean you'd need two licenses and two Vienna Keys. NI (actually Kontakt) sucks at memory and cpu management which is why you'd want to run it in VEPro server.

QAPLA!
Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The MBP could handle both but make sure the sample libraries are on fast ssd's. But really I would split them with Play on one and NI on the other running VEPro servers on both which would mean you'd need two licenses and two Vienna Keys. NI (actually Kontakt) sucks at memory and cpu management which is why you'd want to run it in VEPro server.
Okay, so PLAY on MBP and NI on iMac (computer with PT on it) and run them both through VEP7 server?
Do when I am loading and NI plugin, I load it through VEP7 even though it is on the iMac?

Just trying to fully understand!

Yeah, two licences and two keys.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 AM

What about all the Waves plugins?
Where are they best sitting?
Old 02-24-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Okay, so PLAY on MBP and NI on iMac (computer with PT on it) and run them both through VEP7 server?
Do when I am loading and NI plugin, I load it through VEP7 even though it is on the iMac?

Just trying to fully understand!

Yeah, two licences and two keys.
You'd run a VEPro server on both machines. Where you put NI and Play is up to you.
Quote:
What about all the Waves plugins?
Where are they best sitting?
I would put the Waves plugins on the machine that has PT on it. That way you have easy choices come mixdown time and effects aren't baked in to the track.

Something we haven't talked about is if VEPro works okay with offline bounce/freeze/commit and I do not know the answer to that one.

QAPLA!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You'd run a VEPro server on both machines. Where you put NI and Play is up to you.

I would put the Waves plugins on the machine that has PT on it. That way you have easy choices come mixdown time and effects aren't baked in to the track.

Something we haven't talked about is if VEPro works okay with offline bounce/freeze/commit and I do not know the answer to that one.
That's true, I use freeze all the time on channels that I don't need to make immediate changes on then just unfreeze them as and when they are required.
Although, my main reason for doing this is to save CPU so hopefully with this new setup, it will not be needed as much.