Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Digidesign May Release Software Only Version of PT LE

Hello. I didn't see any mention of the survey on this neck of the woods, and thought maybe some of you hadn't seen it. Check here for the survey and see what all the hubbub is. I think somebody mentioned on the LE Mac thread about it that they feel it's a survey designed to see how much interest there would be in the Stick version.

To fill everyone in who hasn't done the survey (you should) they are proposing three 'imaginary' new LE products. The Mbox Tiny, the Mbox Stick and the Mbox Hidden. Tiny would be a smaller version of the Mbox Mini (if that's possible), Stick would be a USB like hardware dongle and Hidden would be a hardware free version of Pro Tools LE. I agree that Digidesign is considering or has done something like the Stick and they are designing this survey to find out how much or what kind of interest there is in something like this (a no brainer in my opinion).

If you think about it, the Tiny version is kind of like a Mini which they already have and the Hidden version would go against everything they have done since day one, which is tie their software to hardware. When they tried Pro Tools Free and limited it to 8 tracks, it was promptly hacked and it's the reason why they never offered it again. The Hidden version would be hacked quickly again, so I don't seriously think they will ever do this.

So the Stick version seems to be the most logical choice of what they would/could/will do. Which by the way, as we all know it is something that has been asked of Digidesign for a very long time. I and others have always suggested something similar to the Indigo line from Echo Audio. A PCMCIA card that would give a stereo I/O or just output if they so desired.

It seems to me this imaginary proposed Stick version is something like the Indigo and they already have it on the drawing board, if not already in the works.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Digidesign May Release Software Only Version of PT LE

Hello. Wow, I am shocked that there were zero responses to this thread in one whole day. Specially because it deals with two issues that have been asked from Digidesign for LE for so long, one being a hardware free version and the other being a handheld size hardware dongle version for laptops. I mean, there is always a ton of responses when someone starts a 'What do you want from future Pro Tools LE versions' threads and yet this one has zero. I don't get it. Because this one deals with the fact that Digidesign is creating a survey to look for customer response about their future product line is also something that I figured would spark conversation up.

I will rename the thread and see if it gets more response.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 AM

There are already several threads discussing this.......

I would personally like to see the "Hidden" as A) Most stuff has excellent on board sound these days - its not 1998 any more. B) The "Hidden"can be expanded with any PT interface which would let you use you LE hardware to record with. No downside there.

My opinion on the "Stick" is its OK but I'm not really interested unless it would hold iLok authorizations also. Now If you could take a Stick, Store iLok authorizations on it AND use it with any LE interface that would be cool. If it won't function as a iLok then screw it. I don't need another dongle.

With TPM on the horizon there is always a chance of actually locking the "Hidden" to a particular piece of hardware. If this was the case and the Plugin manufacturers would give you a courtesy authorizations locked to that machine AND/OR a particular iLok then I would be in interested. In other words "Hidden" in conjunction with the Super iLOk concept and or TPM.

I Agree though, I think the STICK is on the boards and the survey is a fishing expedition. Why I would welcome ANY smaller interface in this particular case I wish DIGI would have polled first and then built the product.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 AM

By sunburst79
Quote:
There are already several threads discussing this.......
Hello. Where are these threads? I did not see a single one here on the Windows LE forum. The only one I saw about it was on the Mac LE forum, which is why I posted it here. Other than the single one in the Mac LE forum I didn't see any other thread discussing the survey at all anywhere. Where are these 'several' threads?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:28 AM

I'm on my way to work, there's a two page discussion floating around somewhere. Plus your TDM post and this one.

I have also seen mention of it in other threads. Believe me Its being discussed...... and has been for the last day or so.

I'm sorry I don't have any links. When I log in I look at all of the new posts in the last 24 hours and read anything of interest- which is most of them I look at all the forums.

I had already downloaded and installed Structure Free long before it was being widely discussed. Stuff slips under the radar because no one reads the Digi announcements page. Just a example.

You would have had to clicked on the Mbox2 link in the Diginews email. Had I not read about it a couple of days ago I would not have known about it either. I had to go back and shuffle through my mail box and then take the survey.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 PM

Hello. Yes the two page discussion you mention is the thread in the Mac LE forum which I brought up in my initial post. That was the reason I created this thread here, because I believed people on the Windows LE forum would like to discuss it. Apparently they do not. My post on the TDM forum and this do not count as the 'several' threads you mentioned. I don't know if they are being discussed in other threads because there are no other threads with that on the title and when you do the search for 'Mbox Survey' or something similar nothing came up on the Windows forum.

In other words, if a thread on the Windows LE forum is about 96K SMUX or CPU buffer errors or 002/003 issues or something like that and someone happens to mention this survey it's kind of neither here nor there. There was no thread in this forum dedicated to discussing this, or threads discussing future Pro Tools releases discussing this. Which again is why I brought it up in the first case. It's really kind of shocking to me that no one seems interested in discussing it here on this forum. If Digidesign had a survey where they proposed an imaginary LE line with ADC or surround sound or something like that I would think it would get a lot of discussion because these are things that are discussed constantly and are requested almost daily from Digidesign.

In this particular survey Digidesign is floating the idea of something that gets discussed almost as much, a software only version of Pro Tools LE and a very small dongle for laptop use. Which again is why I started the thread, and which is again why I am so surprised no one except you has made a comment.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:13 AM

It has definitely been discussed several times. People have been groaning about lugging the huge Mbox around etc. Maybe not recently though.

When they talk about the motherboard soundcard they must mean any connected sound hardware with WDM drivers or something like that right?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:18 AM

Yes we discussed it in past, but we kinda of given up. Since they seemed to never listen on a only software version. And the chance of PTLE getting hacked when its hard enough to make it even Vista compatible, ...cough....sense the sarcasm?

But seriously, that be nice. But if listening to us folks is like when Digi listens to the crowd clamour for ADC, NOT that I care to have that and THAT issue never bothered me. But if there was a survey, it didn't seem to make the so-called important DIGI ANNOUNCEMENTS when we need it. As per the Vista PTLE summer letdown announcment that was....ummm mentioned. Opps. Okay maybe not.

Point is I never heard of no survey in the past 5 years. Even when the mac people linger in this forum. Nope, nada, Never. Unless, Digi don't really care about the Windows crowd.

OO2r & Mbox2 owner.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:13 AM

I followed your link but I don't see where to click to actually taket he survery. Can you re-post a better link?

BTW - I myself have posted on this topic a number of times in the past 2 years. I liked to rant whenever I was stuck travelling and my flights got cancelled.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 09-06-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
It has definitely been discussed several times. People have been groaning about lugging the huge Mbox around etc. ....
It depends on what you're doing. I plan to have MPowered on a lap top, and use Transit as the interface. this is purely for editing a mix, building a MIDI arrangement or some other non-recording task, if I'm on the road. So, for me, the software-only version is not an issue.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!