Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-15-2019, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Changed input routing since PhoenixVerb Surround v3?

Stratus (so I'm assuming Symphony too) does not have this bug. It goes to the center channel.

5.1 or 5.0 does not matter with either PhoenixSurround or Stratus. PhoenixSurround goes Left and Stratus goes Center in either situation.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:26 PM

Dumb question, but Frank, if you're on HD native, there should be minimal performance hit for using 5.0 sends instead of mono sends. Or are you forced to organize your sessions in such a way that they'll open up easily on HDX?
Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exponential Audio View Post
Hi folks,
The good Dr. Sound referred me to this one. I can respond, but you won't like the answer. The change in routing is probably not intentional. In all likelihood it's a bug. But it's been the better part of a year since it got cooked into the code. During that last development period I ran an open beta. Too bad it wasn't caught then when I could do something about it. It all likelihood it was collateral damage that came across as I was trying to work around surround issues with other DAWs. I wish I'd caught it. However it happened (and I honestly don't remember), there's not a thing I can do about it right now.

The code is in iZotope's hands now. I'm working with a very capable team to get the IP transferred over. But getting several decade's worth of experience into other heads is not something I can do overnight. Surround routing is one of those things that's quite important to me (you'll never know what at PITA it was to fix problems introduced by other DAWs) but I think it's going to be a while before you see an iZotope-generated release. I'll be working closely with them and will draw their attention to this thread. I'm more than sorry I can't address this with the speed I was once able to. I think that--once they're fully up-to-speed--that iZotope is going to be able to deal with this (and add a few nice new wrinkles as well).

While I've got your ear, keep in mind that the upcoming Catalina release of MacOS is 64-bit only. That's not a problem for the plugins--they've been 64-bit for years. But the installers are 32-bit. This means that--if you update a computer that's already got the plugins installed, then you're fine. If you need to move older plugs to a new Catalina machine, then you'll have to do it by hand. iZotope will be making 64-bit installers of the current releases, but they're not likely to do the same for historical versions.
Hi,

thank you very much for this straight forward, honest and transparent response. It's good to know it's now known as a bug and not wrong usage.

I'm not sure why this flew under radar for so long. I noticed it when we continued to work on a series in a template from the previous season and everything seemed to sound slightly different but quite some time had passed since then and I wasn't sure if my memory fooled me till there was this reoccurring pattern of a lot of elements leaning towards the left.

Anyway, thanks again for chiming in!

Frank.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:04 PM

To make things worse, mono summing was bugged in all Protools versions 12.0 up to 2018.3. The summed signal was 3dB too low. This was fixed in Protools 2018.7.

@Michael, thanks for the clarification. Let's hope it will get fixed eventually.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:39 AM

I just downloaded version 4.00 for a new Mojave install and the behavior is the same.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I just downloaded version 4.00 for a new Mojave install and the behavior is the same.
Yes, everything from v3 onwards does it. v4 is just is the same as v3 with the Izotope re-branding added AFAIK.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:02 AM

I have just tried sending a stereo buss and that goes to left and centre. However, if you pan the send hard left it feeds the left input of Phoenixveb,as expected, but if you pan hard right it still feeds left and centre, it doesn't do what would be expected and only feed the centre channel. There is clearly something odd going on with the input routing.
Bizarre.

Mike
Old 08-21-2019, 02:44 AM

Digging through the release notes as I intend to roll back to 2.0.9 on all the rigs here, I see;

Quote:
3.0.1 Release
- Corrected a problem introduced in V2.00. This problem affected automation that was created in earlier versions. Any automation created in V2.0.0 is likely to play back incorrectly. There is no solution.
Does this mean, should the input routing be fixed, it won't be compatible anyway with the automation I create using 2.0.9?
I hardly ever use Phoenix so I can't tell. Anyone got experience updating from v2 to v3 and loss of automation?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Digging through the release notes as I intend to roll back to 2.0.9 on all the rigs here, I see;

Does this mean, should the input routing be fixed, it won't be compatible anyway with the automation I create using 2.0.9?
I hardly ever use Phoenix so I can't tell. Anyone got experience updating from v2 to v3 and loss of automation?
That only applies to that exact version (2.0.0). Going back from v4 or v3 to 2.0.9 is safe. At least I didn't notice any issues.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Hi,

After setting up a new system I experienced the same issue. Izotope support, unfortunately, is not very helpful. They told me that it’s a known issue but that they can’t help me. They described a workaround with 5.0 sends but that’s not really an option as frank described...
Till now isotope doesn’t want to provide me with an earlier version of Phoenix surround. Does anyone know how/where to get the 2.0.9 installer for Mac?

Best and thanks
Paul