Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 AM

Default Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnicle Lines!!!

i have been meaning to to do the PTIEP upgrade.
I wonder if the upgrade path will still be available in the coming weeks
Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 AM

Obviously this can be good or bad depending on the next steps from Avid. If they really choose to focus on pro level, quality, development, they can win. But if they will continue to operate like before, they'll lose.

It's much more reasonable to focus on few things than to support a whole bunch . While I agree that Air goup can be a great loss in this game, considering the competition (Native Instruments, etc.) it completely makes sense to me.

I can only hope that our beloved Pro Tools will be in good hands.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Obviously this can be good or bad depending on the next steps from Avid. If they really choose to focus on pro level, quality, development, they can win. But if they will continue to operate like before, they'll lose.

It's much more reasonable to focus on few things than to support a whole bunch . While I agree that Air goup can be a great loss in this game, considering the competition (Native Instruments, etc.) it completely makes sense to me.

I can only hope that our beloved Pro Tools will be in good hands.
+1
Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 AM

The only thing I see in this whole business venture is them cutting cost and have more money to work on their baby Pro Tools. Also tons of new hardware will come with Pro Tools. If you are a Pro tools user this can only mean good things for you. That's my 2 cents.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
Thank GOD!!! Kirk Arnold, in my opinion anyway, was a huge factor in the decline of the company. Her specialty is outsourcing. Which Avid has been finding out doesn't work for that well for proprietary software. for standard run of the mill things like banking software, it's fine (Arnold came from Fidelity). But for Professional Audio and Video workstations, it's not so good.
Yes, Gary too!
No vision from the top down.
Avid talks about many employees are audio/music people but what matters is that the people at the top Love this stuff because it's never going to be a big growth industry or high profit busines.
Making the trains run on time is the operating officers job.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 AM

An Update from PTE Blog.

News just in, that contrary to earlier reports, Avid are to close the UK Sibelius office, the home of the Sibelius development team, who knows where this leaves the future of Sibelius. The image above is from a Facebook post on iPhone.

One long term Sibelius team member said “this is heartbreaking, it took us 15 years to build this business and it took Avid 15 months to wreck it.”

More to follow…

Update on Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 12:34PM by Russ Hughes
Latest news is that the software is remaining and the work is being moved to a coding team in Kiev or Daly City. This will of be to cut costs and is sadly normal practice for 90% of software houses.

AND......

Contrary to yesterday’s announcement indicating that Avid were making a choice for consumer, it would appear that is not the entire story.

We’ve learned that at least 38 jobs in Pro and Enterprise at ‘at risk’, this is where staff are officially told to be aware that their job isn’t secure.

Key people like Sam Bogoch, until this week Director, Worldwide Enterprise Sales Programs have changed their profile to TBD. His role was described as ‘I was responsible for business development for our IME (Integrated Media Enterprise) products at Avid… co-led interdisciplinary Interplay Active Archive solution team which recently introduced a cost-effective configuration of Avid’s Interplay MAM technology.’ This couldn’t be further from bottom end retail if you tried.

This kind of move does seem to contradict the indication that Avid are moving to a Pro and Enterprise market.

Avid are yet to comment on this anomaly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My own opinion of course but things do not appear to be well at Avid folks.......

Over in the All Things Guitar forum, there is what I believe to be a legitimate concern as to what the future of the Eleven Rack may be.

Sad.......

Lou
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:24 AM

Every big change naturally comes with collateral damage, which is sad. Frankly, we all saw this coming sooner or later.
This company needs focus and real, I mean REAL dedication to survive.

Back when they bought M-audio and the other prosumer divisions, my former boss said to me: "this is the biggest mistake they've ever made." At that time I didn't agree with him, but maybe he was just right.

It's very sad to see that so many people lost, or will loose his/her job.
I would like to see less marketing and more hard work, more honest communication. (these are my dreams of course.)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I would like to see less marketing and more hard work, more honest communication. (these are my dreams of course.)
+1

I really would like to know Avid's vision!

Usually the stock price will tell what analysts think about that!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I'm in total agreement with your statement. I also would really like to see PT/Avid not only survive but regain the respect of the music industry it once held because they had earned it.

Some of the shine has been lost in recent times. Presently, Avid seems to be a rudderless ship.

I hope things work out for all of us. I really like working with Pro Tools as opposed to other DAW's.
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 AM

This is one of the reasons I stopped (other than PT software and hardware) buying any other products Avid owned, plugins, VIs, etc. They seem to introduce and then hype products and then drop all support. Air Instruments, Echo Farm, Amp Farm are just a few examples.

I do hope to have faith again in Avid beyond PT and their hardware some day.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.