Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 AM

Default Preview button? And banks, possible?...

Hello,

I recently bought a control+mix bundle and am learning to know it (I'm not a huge "manual reader", I know that's bad...).

I have two questions:
-do we agree that there's no "Preview" button available on the Touchscreen (at least there's none in the Automation page)?
If so, that's really a shame.... I've stopped using "Suspend Automation" (which is available) for quite a while, the "preview" option being so much more practical.

-Is it possible to create "Faders Banks" like on a D-Control?... (I'm affraid not...).

Thanks for any infos.

Administrator of Brotools, free online tutorials for the french Pro Tools user.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Preview button? And banks, possible?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD2 View Post
-Is it possible to create "Faders Banks" like on a D-Control?... (I'm affraid not...).
Hum.... Layouts maybe?...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Layouts.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM

Preview is available as a eucon button in eucon 2.6.2 and PT10 only.

From what I see, PT10 has full eucon coverage on par with early adopters like Nuendo.

Fader banks or custom faders are also available but not in the way you are used to. You can create layouts that are saved with the session and you can navigate to them in a similar way to D-control.. but creating them is a tedious chore.

What I have started doing instead is creating Mem Locations that include track show/hide status among other things. These are much easier to create on the fly and you can recall them just as easy. The eucon surface will reflect what tracks are in view on your screen.

The other plus about the memory location route is that you can save these in a template. The Eucon layouts do not stay with templates an you always need to recreate them.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse p View Post
Preview is available as a eucon button in eucon 2.6.2 and PT10 only.
Damn, I'll have to wait a little then...

Quote:
Fader banks or custom faders are also available but not in the way you are used to. You can create layouts that are saved with the session and you can navigate to them in a similar way to D-control.. but creating them is a tedious chore.
That's what I thought. I've tried playing with layouts yesterday but didn't really get anywhere...

Quote:
What I have started doing instead is creating Mem Locations that include track show/hide status among other things.
I thought about it but from what I remember Locators also include timeline positions which is a pain in the bottom since you don't necessarily want to show/hide AND go to the locator.
But I might need some manual reading about this...

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 AM

Memory locations include a marker and timeline position by default but it's actually optional. They can carry the show/hide status as well as window config and group enables etc etc.

For example. I have a mem loc called Dx Edit. It shows me my dialog tracks nice and big on one screen and small picture and meters on another and it's always there to recall no matter where I am in a session. There is no location attached. Because this and other mem locators are built into my template, They are hard wired into my brain and can be recalled with the Artist transport keypad instantly.

Then I have another one called Dx Mix. This one will put full size picture on the big screen and show me the mixer window on the other. All the dialog channels will be shown along with dx verb, vca's and sub masters. The dialog group is also enabled. This group does not enable volume or pan, but it does link specific plug ins. Each dialog track gets it's own eq, and a second eq below it. the 2nd one is linked in the group for global eq moves in the scene.

Make sense?

With out protools 10, the avid units are not that special. It is worth the upgrade price to have the control you'll get. I have be able to charge my day rate to 3 different people on the same day.
I can move just as fast on the artist boxes as I can on a D command and in some cases faster. They are great little units. Search them on youtube, lots of info.