Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-10-2005, 08:23 PM

Default 192 i/o calibration

Hello,
I've been living with this i/o for over a year now, happily editing away on sound effects in stereo, out of analog outputs 1 and 2. Well I'm about to start work on a feature in 5.1 and I thought that it would be a good idea to calibrate the analog outputs and make sure everything is level. I'm bringing my rig to another facility where it will be hooked up to a surround sound system. Everything started OK. I decided to use the B trims and set them to -18dB = 1.228V, Info I got off the Digi site. Using my brand new EXTech True RMS Multimeter I started tweaking away on the B pots on outputs 1-4. So far so good. 5-6 however were very low, around .5V. I tried turning those outputs up, but I ran out of trim. I skipped to 7-8 where everything was normal again. I went back to 5-6, tried another digisnake, maybe its just a bad cable. Nope. Same results. Next I shut everthing down and powered back up. Now 5-6 were hot, around 1.5V. I thought I was cool, just needed a power cycle to shake off the funk, but as I turned the trims down, I noticed that the voltage would fluctuate widely and never really level out. A few minutes later it was reading around .5V again.

This is probably something requiring the attention of a Digi engineer, but I am wondering what the Digi community has to say about this before getting on the phone and pleaing for help.

Thanks in Advance.

Josh
Old 10-11-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Re: 192 i/o calibration

It sounds like a hardware problem for sure. Your IO is no longer under warranty so it might be okay to open it up and make sure all connectors are fully seated, if you are comfortable doing so. It is probably a dirty relay or faulty connection point. I'm not sure if the relays are sealed and therefore difficult to clean, I've never tried. If it were me I'd poke around a bit, but if the problem was not easy to find then I'd pack it up and pay digi to fix it.

Can you simply align the A outputs until this job is over? Another thing to try is switching from A to B to A to B several times, to "exercise" the relay connections. That might knock out the contact oxidation that is possibly causing your problems. If that works, the problem will most likely return and you'll have to excercise them again. It is an "old school" problem/fix.

Other than that I have no good ideas.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:34 PM

The A trim had the same problem on output 5-6. I neglected to include that in my previous post.
I will try excercising the relay. Sounds envigorating!
Thanks
-Josh
Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 AM

Same problem on both outputs? I doubt a relay workout will fix it then, but I guess you'll find out soon. Maybe it's time to pack it up for repair?