Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsTools View Post
I think it is unfair to charge $250 to someone who just bought an Avid Mbox in September.
It's not unfair because your Mbox still works just fine. The $250 is for upgraded software.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brell View Post
Nothing, I wasn't talking about that.

oops, wrong thread lol i'm more annoyed about the mp price being $350 than LE being $250.. $250 sounds reasonable for the upgrade, but $350 is kinda steep.. though i still think Avid is living in their own world and need to take a look around and see what other companies are offering for much less money.

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
oops, wrong thread lol
No problem Bro!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
It's not unfair because your Mbox still works just fine. The $250 is for upgraded software.
Spoken like a troll who hasn't bought any Avid hardware recently.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
How do you figure your HW has been devalued? The value of the hardware has always been in its features and what you can do with it, not the fact that it was proprietary. Your 003 is still worth what you paid for it because its a kickass interface, and can probably perform as well or better than any other similarly priced brand.

I'm guessing Avid worked on PT9 for a long time (at least a year probably), and knew they were going to get rid of the hardware requirements (Hell, EVERYONE has been screaming for them to do that for years, and you know it). Were they supposed to make an annoucement a year ago and say "Hey everybody, the next version of PT is not going to have a HW requirement, so stop buying our hardware!" That's not a smart business model. They didn't do that because they believe their HW can stand up to the competition on the market and users would still get value by using the HW on PT9. Could they offer you a better crossgrade price? Possibly. But they don't have to.

Think about it this way. When you buy an album from a band (like anybody does that these days...), do you believe that band owes you something for purchasing that album? Avid made the software & hardware, you purchased it; no one owes anything to anybody at that point. Avid is paying back its loyal customers (notice the "S", it's plural, that means ALL OF US), by giving us what we've been asking for for years; non-proprietary software, and ADC.
I don't "figure". It HAS been devalued. It is no longer necessary to have a piece of Digi/Avid HW to run the product. Do you think people are going to run to the store to get a 003 or are they going to want something with better preamps, more input capabilities, etc... If I want to sell it to go that way myself, guess what? I'll get LESS for it now. I didn't buy an Mbox. I got the best LE interface they have available. They're basically saying, "oh well!" Hell, they're saying that for people buying it NOW. Sweetwater is charging FULL PRICE for the upgrade to people that buy an Mbox, 003 or Eleven Rack TODAY. [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. It's not MY responsibility that Avid decided to change their business model, is it? No. But I'm having to pay the cost for it. If I buy a Waves plugin and they upgrade that plugin any time in the next year, guess what? I get an upgrade. THAT is called taking care of your customers.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:41 PM

In all reality. So what that you just bought an MBox or a 003? It is a sunk cost at this point. Avid can't please everyone, and it would have totally killed their books if they announced a non-hardware dependent release a few months ago. Just be glad that we finally got what we have been asking for, even though you might have lost a couple bucks along the way. In all honesty, you guys complaining are going to forget and not give a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] in 6 months anyways.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 PM

Hey guys, I haven't upgraded my hardware all that recently but regardless, my Sweetwater rep said it in a way that totally made sense to me. If instead of PT9, a "Native Toolkit" was offered with ADC, Untethered hardware, and increased track counts for $250. Would you buy it?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 PM

I said this in another post but I will say it again. I have had 4 protools interfaces since 99. I feel the only thing they owed me are the improvements they did.

I can say it took them longer then they should have.

But it's done. They are a business and businesses are in it to make money.

So you pay for it or you deal with what you have. You aren't entitled to set your own pricing. That's why the music industry is struggling. Cause people have decided what they wanted to pay for music.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbmx View Post
Hey guys, I haven't upgraded my hardware all that recently but regardless, my Sweetwater rep said it in a way that totally made sense to me. If instead of PT9, a "Native Toolkit" was offered with ADC, Untethered hardware, and increased track counts for $250. Would you buy it?
Perfectly said, sir. Perfectly said.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamilton View Post
I don't "figure". It HAS been devalued. It is no longer necessary to have a piece of Digi/Avid HW to run the product. Do you think people are going to run to the store to get a 003 or are they going to want something with better preamps, more input capabilities, etc... If I want to sell it to go that way myself, guess what? I'll get LESS for it now. I didn't buy an Mbox. I got the best LE interface they have available. They're basically saying, "oh well!" Hell, they're saying that for people buying it NOW. Sweetwater is charging FULL PRICE for the upgrade to people that buy an Mbox, 003 or Eleven Rack TODAY. [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. It's not MY responsibility that Avid decided to change their business model, is it? No. But I'm having to pay the cost for it. If I buy a Waves plugin and they upgrade that plugin any time in the next year, guess what? I get an upgrade. THAT is called taking care of your customers.
For HD you have to have an HD interface to get the upgrade to Pro Tools 9 HD and, if you want to buy Pro Tools HD, you have to buy an HD interface to get it. How does your ability to then, once you've bought an HD interface, run Pro Tools HD without an Avid interface devalue your equipment? Just curious.

And yes, if Waves updates your current plug-ins or Waves makes a new plug-in that is free for your bundle, you do get the update or the new plug-in - as long as it's within the year of purchase (free WUP) OR you pay the WUP. If your WUP has expired, you have to pay the WUP to get the update or the new plug-in.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction