Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 AM

Default 'Quick Start Menu' problem.

This is only my 2nd post so please be patient. I've had a problem with the 'Quick Start Menu' in Protools SE for quite some time now and it's stopped me from being able to access and work in my sessions. All the files are there but the Quick Start Menu doesn't load properly. I moved my gear from one corner of the room to the other (Everything was saved and shut down correctly) but once I reconnected I get a blank 'Quick Start Menu'. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Protools SE. I've reinstalled the 'Fast Track C600 interface software, I've updated all pug ins and adobe flash player but nothing is working. I fear there may be something wrong with the interface but desperately need some advice. Apologies if there is an existing thread for this. I searched but found nothing. One thing to note, I have been able to open a session by going straight to the file. Also, once the quick start menu is open, I have to force quit to close it. Here's a pic. Thank you.Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.36.33 pm.jpg
Protools SE V8.0.3
Old 03-23-2017, 05:00 AM

Default Re: 'Quick Start Menu' problem.

Part of your problem is PTse8.03 was never updated to run on OSX 10.8.5; the latest approved OSX was 10.7.x See this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/en417171#msr
Once you get outside of Avid compatibility specs expect issues like this. Let me speculate on something - did you originally have a lower version of OSX and did an in-situ upgrade to ML? That's never a good idea even though Apple says to do it that way. Always do a clean install of everything on an operating system upgrade and that means not using Migration Assassin (Assisstant) to bring things back in.

As to forum placement - there's two possibilities you could have posted - this forum and there's one for 'legacy' PT versions so either place would be cool.

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:03 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

I'm afraid you need to upgrade as PT8 isn't compatible with your operating system.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Are you saying that there are no patches or anything that will enable my PT8 to work with OS X 10.9.5? Its been working fine since 2013.
Protools SE V8.0.3
Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Part of your problem is PTse8.03 was never updated to run on OSX 10.8.5; the latest approved OSX was 10.7.x See this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/en417171#msr
Once you get outside of Avid compatibility specs expect issues like this. Let me speculate on something - did you originally have a lower version of OSX and did an in-situ upgrade to ML? That's never a good idea even though Apple says to do it that way. Always do a clean install of everything on an operating system upgrade and that means not using Migration Assassin (Assisstant) to bring things back in.

As to forum placement - there's two possibilities you could have posted - this forum and there's one for 'legacy' PT versions so either place would be cool.
Thanks Jack. I bought the Mac with the Protools 8 and Avid interface and have been updating everything as you would though I do not believe I upgraded to Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard. I'm sure I've only ever had Mavericks. What am I missing here?
Protools SE V8.0.3
Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28-if View Post
Are you saying that there are no patches or anything that will enable my PT8 to work with OS X 10.9.5? Its been working fine since 2013.
That's right. How'd you even get it to install on OSX 10.9.5 unless you did the OSX upgrade like I wrote about previously. You never answered that question. Wait a minute - what OSX version do you actually have on your computer? Your sig file says OSX 10.8.5 and now you're saying OSX 10.9.5. Either way your PT won't work correctly if at all with the OSX version(s) you have on your computer.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 03-23-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's right. How'd you even get it to install on OSX 10.9.5 unless you did the OSX upgrade like I wrote about previously. You never answered that question. Wait a minute - what OSX version do you actually have on your computer? Your sig file says OSX 10.8.5 and now you're saying OSX 10.9.5. Either way your PT won't work correctly if at all with the OSX version(s) you have on your computer.
I'm running OS X 10.9.5 (sorry, I hadn't updated my signature) As far as I'm aware I've only ever 'updated' my Maverick software since owning the Mac. I've had offers from Apple to upgrade to El Captiain, Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard etc but I have never opted for these upgrades due to the reasons you state. The problem started when I moved the equipment, not after any update and my updates are not on 'Automatic'. I think I may have to say goodbye to PT for a while. Garage Band might suit my basic needs better as I'm only an enthusiast. Many thanks for all your advice Jack.
Protools SE V8.0.3
Old 03-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28-if View Post
I'm running OS X 10.9.5 (sorry, I hadn't updated my signature) As far as I'm aware I've only ever 'updated' my Maverick software since owning the Mac. I've had offers from Apple to upgrade to El Captiain, Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard etc but I have never opted for these upgrades due to the reasons you state. The problem started when I moved the equipment, not after any update and my updates are not on 'Automatic'. I think I may have to say goodbye to PT for a while. Garage Band might suit my basic needs better as I'm only an enthusiast. Many thanks for all your advice Jack.
You're still not answering the questions I asked: how did you get Mavericks on your computer? And how did you get PT8 on there if it wasn't already installed while there was a lower version of OSX on there? You really don't know much about your machine I gather; ML and Snow Leopard are downgrades from Mavericks. Once again I ask - what OSX version was on your machine?

Sorry but you're going to have to get your hands dirty and dig into what's on your machine and how to make things work.

QAPLA!