Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM

Default Re: It's Official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
The cool thing about music is that everyone enjoys it for their own reasons. Melody, Harmony, Phrasing etc and the emotion invested in playing/listening to the piece is what i enjoy. Speed for speed sake does nothing for me which is why I find that normal shredding becomes boring very quickly.

Each to their own device!
I agree. Speed for speed's sake becomes a purely academic exercise. Why not just run scales or arpeggios and clock the metronome marking. But to apply speed to the musical demands of the piece is much more challenging.

Many years back, I was watching an old movie (b&w)-I'm sorry that I can't remember the title--and in one scene, a group of people were listening to a fellow play "The Flight of the Bumblebee" on the trumpet. As he continued into the piece (all attention focused--he was flying!!!) the cameraman zoomed in on the bell and his fingers on the valves of the trumpet. At this point, his performance transcended the familiar melody--and using speed, breath control, dynamics and a lot of inspiration I suppose, for an instant---I could swear I heard the buzzing of a bumblebee. Not a just series of notes strung together into the very nice, inventive and familiar melody--but the actual sound of a bumblebee. Ever since, whenever I hear a performance of that piece on whatever instrument, I think of that movie. For me, it is the definitive performance of "The Flight of the Bumblebee". I wish I could remember the title because it was one of the most eye opening, inspirational and uplifting performances I've ever seen.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretburns View Post
Lol he's not trying to be musical he's trying to break/set a picking record. For people who are into that thing, the flight o da beeswax is just popular tune to dookie on, can't get too deep with these things. Hot dog contests aren't about savoring the flavor if you know what I mean...some people are just driven to the extreme, and as far as records go ....alternate picking is cooler than, say, pogo stick jumping lol.

We are all brothers and sisters of the six string here, respect those different then you, who may have different goals, and quit the bashing.
Dude, pogo stick jumping is really . I watch it everytime it is on "Ultimate Banzuke".

And, it's 7 string here bro .

But I'm not bashing - I would not have bothered posting the details to the clip if I didn't think it was of worthy of merit. It is quite an achievement. I can't tell you the amount of time I've spent trying to play 4 note-per-string scales fast - well - what I thought was fast. I need to readjust my whole thinking of what fast is now. Playing 16th notes at a speed of 300bpm is only slow to moderate now . You might have thought I was being condescending by using the word sport, but, the context of that was something Alexi Laiho said of John Petrucci's playing, "playing guitar is not an olympic sport". Well, if Alexi thought John Petrucci was fast and unmelodic then ...

But spare a thought for the poor violin players who think they are fast - they have been totally 'pwned' . And for me, that is the real silver lining .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
But spare a thought for the poor violin players who think they are fast - they have been totally pwned . For me, that is the real silver lining .
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Yeah he does more than just try to break records, this vid of his is pretty cool IMO, wish it was recorded properly though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZew...eature=related

and now for something completely different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dngk7G0m-a4
Open them in seperate tabs and you have a nice sound track

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88