Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 AM

Default It\'s been a long time...

...since I've visited the DUC. Guess in the meantime I am a dinosaur still (since 1998) using my PT MIX 24 System on a G4 867MHz. Coming to my question: Although I am still happy as a pig in [bleep] with my system I was wondering how I could make it more flexible, i.e. to change it to a mobile one. Due to the fact that music is not my main income source anymore I don't want to spend a five-digit number of Euros on a new system just to get a few hundreds out of it again in the next six months. So I was thinking to up-, down-, side- (or whatever you want to call it) -grade it to a PT LE system. As a recently looked on the digidesign website (cool new design BTW) I saw that they still have the DIGI 002 (this must be on sale for 6 or 7 years now) and they've got this new M-Powered stuff, that looks more homerecording like, but seems to perform equally good as the LE material. Is it so?
Probably I overslept in my cellar the technological development over the last decade but I just ordered a MacBook Pro 2,16 GHz C2D with 2 GB RAM (have to use it for my other work as well).
So what would you recommend? Should I stick on my old TDM-System until it falls apart, or should I go for a LE system? Is the native power of the processor better or worse than the six DSPs on the mix farm card? And what's the real difference between the LE and the M-Powered ProTools? Yes I did look on the website but I couldn't find anything that convinced me at last, that LE is significantly better (beside the optics).
To bring it to the point, which performs best?
1. G4 867 Mhz, PT MIX 24
2. MBP 2,16 GHz + DIGI 002
3. MBP 2,16 GHz + FireWire 1814
As I don't know to which forum this post belongs to, I've postet it in all three forums. Sorry for any inconvenience because of this. Still I would be happy to get some recommendations from you, even ironic ones if you are into it.

Thank you in advance

Stefano
Old 02-06-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: It\'s been a long time...

i think you will be well pleased with the performance of the macbook pro. personally, i prefer the 002. have you considered the 002r? this would be more portable. then you could eventually get a command 8 for a control surface if you must have one. i am not really sure how to compare a native system to a mix system as i have never used a mix system. however, i have not hit the cpu limit yet on projects running 48 tracks with eqs on every channel, lots of compressors and 2-3 reverbs on my le system.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:42 AM

If you are running 888 interfaces, then dump the boat anchors at the earliest opportunity and buy a 002R. It will sound much better. I switched from a Mix system to the 002R and noticed a discernable improvement.

For an even better solution, get a Apogee Rosetta 800 and sound wise, you are in Pro Tools HD territory at the very least.

Again, don't know how many DSP cards you have, but if it is a single one, you will be pleasantly surprised by the power that the new Mac portables provide. Do opt for the bundle that provides for the extra tracks (48 stereo.) And the included synthesizer is no slouch either.

I personally don't have any issues with the lack of delay compensation, but you don't have it anyway. It can be a bit a pain in the butt dealing with buffer sizes for low latency monitoring, but I can usually work it out where the performer has no delay issues.

Add a good FireWire drive (I stress good, don't cheap out) and you should be golden.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Thank you for your replies. Still the question: What is the big difference between PT LE and PT M-Powered? Is it that it is just compatible with different hardware or does it have other (less) functions? I can't find anything that makes a difference from the discription of these two softwares on the digidesign site.
And What makes the DIGI 002(R) better than the Firewire 1814 connected to a command 8 or even compared with the project mix i/o? Is it the converters or the performance?
Sorry if I ask rookie questions.