Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 AM

Default D-command causes L O N G save times!! WHy?!

OK, I've been really struggling with extremely long save times and today I really had the chance to troubleshoot this. I was certain it was a rogue plugin causing the problem, BUT it's NOT. It's the D-command! Huh?

As soon as I enable the D-command in the Ethernet Controllers wondow, it causes save times to increase to about 6-8 seconds as oppposed to a fraction of a second (a blip really).

Is this normal? If not, does anybody have any tips as to what I might be able to do to fix this?

I'm running a Dual 2.7 PPC (10.5.6), PT 8.0.1cs1.

Any help is very much appreciated.

thanks!

Mike
Old 03-31-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Re: D-command causes L O N G save times!! WHy?!

digi tech support?

Is there any reports of this issue in any logs out there? I have two identical machines/rigs and they both behave exactly the same. Anybody?

thanks

Mike
Old 03-31-2010, 03:37 PM

Good luck getting a response from Digi, I mean Avid.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:21 AM

Aww man. Please say it isn't so. Has support fallen off the map too?

bump

Digi?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:33 AM

Digi, is there any way I could submit a session to tech support to see if they can figure out why this is happening?

mike
Old 04-01-2010, 07:24 AM

To be fair, this is the Users Conference but it seems to me that this forum could be a direct connection to the people developing the ICON part of PT, if there are any left.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 AM

Have you had any luck finding the source of this problem or a solution? I am having exactly the same problem. Running a G5 Dual 2.0 Gig machine with an HD3 Accel. I get the same issue regardless of using a hub or going with a direct connection. Its taking forever. But it is also not doing it on every session.

Could this be a plugin compatibility issue or some kind of firmware issue?

I would love to find a solution rather quickly.

Thanks,
Michael Greene
Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 AM

Yes and No. I can tell you now, you are not going to like it. I have received help from a digi tech support person. He has uncovered and explained to me that it is a corruption of the protools preferences. The problem follows the ProTools session file which in turn corrupts every subsequent session created thereafter. It spreads a lot like a virus really. So, if I open a session with corrupted preferences (ie slow save times), then close that session and create a new session. The new session will have the corruption as well (blank session that takes a long time to save).

The FIX. Get ready for this... You will have to trash all your protools prefs, empty the trash and then reboot. NOW, DO NOT OPEN ANY CORRUPT SESSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Doing so will corrupt the preferences and you will have to start all over). Instead create a new session and import every track from the corrupt session (import session data). NOTE. it's important that the new target empty session has the same TC/session start times and session sample rates/depth/start time.

Once you have imported the tracks succesfully, you are OK as long as you never accidently open a session that has the "long save time" corruption. I have given up really cause I just have too much going on to try and do that to all the projects that come across the console.

Lastly, here is a strange twist. I often get sessions from other people which are already started and these were made on their own systems and the corruption doesn't exist (even though the previously opened session had the corruption). It seems that sessions that were made somewhere else are immune to the problem. The sessions don't have long save times and seem to be able to "Save As" without the corruption following along. I wish I had a way to clean all this up cause it really is a mess and a lot of time is wasted waiting for saving.

I encourage you all to investigate this further. I just ran out of energy every time I forget, and accidently open a session that has the corruption and then the whole process starts all over.

If any of you find out anything more, please post here.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 AM

mtung : did you finally find a practical solution for that ?
I´m having the same delays during editing and saving
and still dont know why this happens.
But as soon as I acitvate the D-command (ethernet controler) ProTools gets these nerve racking delays.

I cant believe the above mentioned procedure can be the only solution ?
I also deal with lots of sessions and tracks (200+) within that sessions,
and its almost impossible to work fluently.

Strange I didnt have this before with PT 7.4 (?)

Best, Intersound
Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Hi Intersound,
No good news. I GAVE UP! I had to deal with that nuisance for a long time. Digis fix suggestion just was just impossible. The fix for me was to drop a lot of bitter money on upgrading everying. I just had to get on with work. Oh well.

Good luck.

mike