Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2017, 01:37 AM

Default Use Control with ethernet connected computer?

I have my Mac Pro connected to the local network via a switch>router. There is also an Artist Mix on the same switch, which is working fine.

There is a wifi hub attached to same router, which provides wireless access between wifi devices and wired devices in our studio.

However, euControl does not recognize my iPad Mini 2 running Control.

On my laptop, which has wifi, it works fine.

Unless I'm missing something, the manual seems to state here that it should work with my configuration.

From Control manual page 9:
-----------
3 On your iPad, tap Settings, then tap Wi-Fi. If necessary, enable Wi-Fi and connect to your preferred network.
4 Establish a network connection between your workstation computer and the same network the iPad is connected to via Wi-Fi or a wired Ethernet connection.
5 On your iPad, tap the Pro Tools | Control icon to launch the app.
-----------

Has anyone had success with such a configuration? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Brian
Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Use Control with ethernet connected computer?

Yes, that config should work. Mac Pro has Wi-Fi off, but is connected via ethernet, iPad is connecting to same network via Wi-Fi. I've done this successfully in two studios. However, when I tested it with a Verizon FIOS router and an Apple AEBS, EuCon wreaked havoc with the laptops connected (choppy connections). So instead I usually do one of the following two options:

1. got an Airport Express, intentionally didn't put it on the internet, connected the Mac Pro via Wi-Fi and iPad via Wi-Fi. Works great. Mac Pro gets internet on ethernet, EuCon on Wi-Fi.

2. (this is my favorite) Apple USB camera adapter kit, USB ethernet adapter, direct iPad Lightning>ethernet to the Mac Pro.

good luck, and make sure you're using the latest EuCon version.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Use Control with ethernet connected computer?

Thanks, those are good suggestions! I'll probably go with #2, as I like the always on aspect of wired connections.