Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Transition to AAX: A Real Programmer's Perspective

You're right...the issue really is what Avid is doing to the HD users...the bulk of the pro world...means I, personally, have to shell out 1,500 per control room.

www.advancedrecordingstudios.com
Old 10-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Default Re: AVID - Take a MARKETING LESSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
This was posted on the Daw-Mac list recently. Frank Filipanits generously gave me permission to share it here. I think his (2) posts are required reading for everyone:

There's a lot of almost-correct or sort-of-right information floating around regarding AAX, RTAS, and TDM. I'd like to try to set the record straight about a few things.

Unified AAX architecture:

Bit depth vs. internal processing:

Application word size:

Why a whole new format?
When the TDM spec was written....

Some question why Avid didn't simply adopt AU or VST ...

Personally, I think it is remarkable that Avid made PT10 a transitional product....

So take a deep breath. Remember that the TDM//RTAS system you have today works just as well and is just as capable as it was last week,.....

Frank Filipanits
Cool Stuff Labs, Incorporated
[email protected]
FRANK,
Thanks for the explanation and well worded post and perspective.

AVID,

Please note... Frank understands helping people like the bad news. Its part of business and marketing. Your marketing department treats people as if they don't understand the market.

Shine a light on the path you expect your clients to take and they will gladly follow.
j
Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM

I can't imagine it will be too long before Apple dumps PCIe (introduced in 2004!) which will make the current crop of yet-to-ship cards unusable. Looking at the upgrades from a long term perspective, I'll have to skip this release as I don't believe that upgrading cards is smart at this point, the software price is flat out crazy. I'm happy-ish with my rig although I'd be happier if it lived on Lion and was 64 bit to better handle VIs for scoring. It's sad because it could have been a no-brainer upgrade with a price in line with what they'd established. They're in business and don't run a charity. I believe that all reasonable users understand the need to charge for upgrades. I also believe that Avid missed a huge opportunity. It's decisions like this that make me question the long term viability of the company. They've got an industry leading DAW and yet manage to alienate or ignore the needs and requests of their users. There are so many missed opportunities for growth that illustrate a clear disconnect between management and their market. They need to put someone in charge who has been in the business, understands the needs and expectations, and is able to make sound business decisions that can satisfy both shareholders and users. There is a middle ground. At this point Avid seems like a stalled airplane in which the pilot decides to pull the nose up instead of pushing down to get the plane moving again.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLarvenz View Post
I can't imagine it will be too long before Apple dumps PCIe (introduced in 2004!) which will make the current crop of yet-to-ship cards unusable.
There's not enough product on the market that is compatible with TB to be worth it for Apple. And if Apple does so, that opens up the market for the PC. I could very well see a huge shift in the professional world that are tied to mac's going from Mac's to pc because they would not want to spend even more on upgrading or would have to many problem integrating a TB extension case. In Any case, AVid still has the upper hand, cause even if Apple went with dropping the PCI-e care, the magma case and others would serve a big purpose. So it's really not a problem for us hd or hdx users.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 PM

I've added this insightful post to the transition discussion sticky.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...67#post1846367

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I've added this insightful post to the transition discussion sticky.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...67#post1846367
nice

Wave-T.com
Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 PM

And now this is a sticky, too.

D

Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
This was posted on the Daw-Mac list recently. Frank Filipanits generously gave me permission to share it here. I think his (2) posts are required reading for everyone:

There's a lot of almost-correct or sort-of-right information floating around regarding AAX, RTAS, and TDM. I'd like to try to set the record straight about a few things.
Some very good info here, shame Avid wasn't as forthcoming with info like this from day 1 to help soften the blow. BUT:

Quote:
It's not unlike having an expectation that since you bought an 8-track of "Led Zep II" for $5 back in 1969, that Atlantic Records would have provided you over the years a new copy -- at no cost to you -- in LP format, then cassette, then CD, then DVD-Audio, then mp3, then SACD, then Blu-Ray....
No, very true - but it's 10 times cheaper to buy a new replacement DVD or BluRay than it is to buy a new top end plug-in!

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
No, very true - but it's 10 times cheaper to buy a new replacement DVD or BluRay than it is to buy a new top end plug-in!
But not comparatively. It's a lot more expensive to buy a $25-30 BD than a $5 tape.

D

Old 10-25-2011, 03:52 PM

This thread highlights a subtext that is strange. Setting aside Avid's revenue needs for the sake of discussion, why put so much effort into developing a PCI based DSP platform? Five times the power of an HD card is still a lot less than an average CPU. An alternative path would be push PT forward as a native platform, putting effort into solving the problems inherent in that approach, mostly keeping latency low enough for the various tracking scenarios.
As it stands, I'm having a hard time seeing a significant benefit to the user or developer in taking on the extra expense of DSP supported AAX plugins.