Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Clear View Post
In that case I'll keep my Fast Track, which might still prove useful for recording in some circumstances. My problem with the integrated sound card lies with the fact I have no physical volume dial, or switch off, where I can kill the sound quickly.

Thank you for your input.
While you CAN use the Eleven Rack for all audio, it can be an issue. The multi-device drivers don't always work properly. Sometimes your PC can lock the driver and cause issues when using Pro Tools.

That's why most of us on the Windows side suggest keeping your interface for recording, and your integrated sound card for PC audio.

If all you want is a control, get a computer keyboard with volume controls on it. I couldn't live without that control. Many of the Microsoft of Logitech keyboards have these controls, vol. up, vol. down, and mute.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-09-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
While you CAN use the Eleven Rack for all audio, it can be an issue. The multi-device drivers don't always work properly. Sometimes your PC can lock the driver and cause issues when using Pro Tools.

That's why most of us on the Windows side suggest keeping your interface for recording, and your integrated sound card for PC audio.

If all you want is a control, get a computer keyboard with volume controls on it. I couldn't live without that control. Many of the Microsoft of Logitech keyboards have these controls, vol. up, vol. down, and mute.
Thank you, Benoni, that's really helpful.

I'm getting the Eleven Rack! Thanks all for your advice, much appreciated.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
What I'd like to know before I buy an Eleven Rack is whether I could easily use it for general computer audio activities, like listening to music, You Tube, whatever?

As trivial as it might seem, it's important when I'm using my computer for general purposes as well as recording...

Thanks
I use it as my only recording interface, and use it to listen to music, youtube, etc, without any problem. But I use a MacBook Pro.

All I have to do is turn it on, Mac OS recognizes it, turn on my monitors (or plug in a headphone) and I control all computer audio with Eleven Rack's volume dial. It's really very easy.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Interesting little device, jay_uk, thanks!
You can also hook it up to the headphone socket of your Mac/PC with a Toslink cable to get digital conversion. For those times when you are not firing up the Eleven Rack.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingafuego View Post
I use it as my only recording interface, and use it to listen to music, youtube, etc, without any problem. But I use a MacBook Pro.

All I have to do is turn it on, Mac OS recognizes it, turn on my monitors (or plug in a headphone) and I control all computer audio with Eleven Rack's volume dial. It's really very easy.
The way OSX handles multi-client drivers is different than Windows though. It's not that Windows "can't do it", it comes down to how the drivers are written, and how the DAW utilizes the driver. The Komplete Audio 6 for example does great on Windows as a multi-client host. But for the Eleven Rack and other Avid interfaces, I have had problems trying to use them as the main interface. Sometimes they lock up, sometimes your session gets stamped with the wrong sample rate because the PC and Pro Tools are using two different settings, and some apps will not used the Eleven Rack driver as an audio output source.

The suggestions from us to keep your interface as your DAW audio source and use your integrated audio for PC sound do not come from a place of "that's improper" or "it can't be done". It's just about giving the user the best possible experience with the least amount of issues.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
The way OSX handles multi-client drivers is different than Windows though. It's not that Windows "can't do it", it comes down to how the drivers are written, and how the DAW utilizes the driver. The Komplete Audio 6 for example does great on Windows as a multi-client host. But for the Eleven Rack and other Avid interfaces, I have had problems trying to use them as the main interface. Sometimes they lock up, sometimes your session gets stamped with the wrong sample rate because the PC and Pro Tools are using two different settings, and some apps will not used the Eleven Rack driver as an audio output source.

The suggestions from us to keep your interface as your DAW audio source and use your integrated audio for PC sound do not come from a place of "that's improper" or "it can't be done". It's just about giving the user the best possible experience with the least amount of issues.
One concern with the set up would be how to route it, virtually and physically. At the moment my Fast Track C400 deals with all the audio and outputs by 1/4 jack cables to the monitors. How would I record with the Eleven Rack and output via the integrated audio or the C400?

I appreciate everyone's contritions in this thread.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:23 AM

Just dont use the c400 interface. It is not great and the eleven rack is a lot better imho of course. I have a c600 here which someone left or forgot and it is horrid. I will give it away for free!!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Just dont use the c400 interface. It is not great and the eleven rack is a lot better imho of course. I have a c600 here which someone left or forgot and it is horrid. I will give it away for free!!
I'm actually planning on giving my C400 away to someone for Christmas. I have an old Delta 66 as well, which I might put back inside my PC.

Anyway, the big news is my personal Christmas present, the Eleven Rack, has been ordered. So I guess, I'll be dropping in on this friendly forum quite a bit...
Old 12-13-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I'm actually planning on giving my C400 away to someone for Christmas. I have an old Delta 66 as well, which I might put back inside my PC.

Anyway, the big news is my personal Christmas present, the Eleven Rack, has been ordered. So I guess, I'll be dropping in on this friendly forum quite a bit...
Looking forward to hear your progress and thoughts on the Eleven Rack as it is a really awesome piece of gear

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 AM

Another question: I have many unfinished projects with recordings made using my Fast Track C400 (which I'm giving away), will there be a noticeable difference to the detriment of the song to mix those with Eleven Rack recordings? Would it be possible and worth routing these old recordings though the Eleven Rack and back into Pro Tools?

Thanks