Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

I'am just purchased ASUS K8V SE DELUXE, AMD 3400+ and I am trying to build my system. I have 2 questions:

1. ASUS comes with 2 SATA controllers: the VIA and the PROMISE. I am not sure whether PROMISE is only for RAID, as the manual says that both can do RAID (thought RAID is not an issue). My first question is where should I plug my 2 * SATA WD800JD HDDs? In VIA's SATA1 - SATA2 connectors or in PROMISE's PRI_SATA - SEC_SATA?

2. My Desktop does not have a Floppy. My question is whether I can go on with the Windows installation: when I run Windows setup, it says something like "no IDE drives have been found, setup can not proceed.". Can I run setup with the SATA drives? Should I do something different first?

Thank you,
xda
Old 12-04-2004, 02:12 AM

Some more issues for the K8V:

I finally installed a Floppy 3.5" drive, as I realized that I couldn't proceed without it.

However, in order to use the MAKEDISK utility of the ASUS MB to copy the SATA drivers in a floppy disk and install Win XP, it seems that a second PC with Windows installed is required for that purpose!!!

Can someone list me the files that are copied to the floppy when running MAKEDISK in the VIA case? I can do that from command line and hopefully proceed.

But, I can not have a second, working PC just to create this disk!

...Am I missing something?

thanx,
xda
Old 12-04-2004, 12:48 PM

Icovemusic

what about installing the OS from scratch?
you can choose to install XP under Standard PC right from the beginning of your OS installation process...pressing F5 i think.....of course, Win XP service pack 1.

Hope this helps.

Pro Tools 9 HD / 192io / C24
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 / 8Gb Ram
Old 12-05-2004, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Icovemusic

what about installing the OS from scratch?
you can choose to install XP under Standard PC right from the beginning of your OS installation process...pressing F5 i think.....of course, Win XP service pack 1.

Hope this helps.
I agree, install it from scratch.

Allen
Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 PM

Hello gents,

Once again I find myself considering a Digi002r system. I already have the original "Allenstein" AthlonXP 2500 system for home use but, my employer has graciously provided me with a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. It's a 3.2Ghz P4 1GB RAM and an 80GB hard drive. Not sure what speed its spinning at but it seems to be a pretty quick system. Anybody tried one of these with PTLE?

Thanks,

TG
Old 12-10-2004, 05:35 PM

hello, i have a question about building a pc. right now i have an asus board with a xp2200 amd chip. I believe this isnt good enough for the professional pro tools world. instead of building a k8v se deluxe, i was wondering if i would have trouble with the a8v asus board with 2 gigs of ram. is this compatible with pro tools or should i just stick with the allenstein machine. id hate to upgrade in a year so i would like to just go with the a8v, much fast and has more ram access and is a better board in general.
1 more question? though im going to do use 2 hard drives, one for programs and one for audio, How important is it to do that? will it give you buffer issues if your running off the same hard drive. Sorry if these questions have been answered, im knew to this forum in which my professor introduced to me after i switched from cubase to pro tools.

Thank you to everyone here and this forum. Looking forward to getting some answers

Musicman
Old 12-11-2004, 05:48 AM

Quote:
hello, i have a question about building a pc. right now i have an asus board with a xp2200 amd chip. I believe this isnt good enough for the professional pro tools world. instead of building a k8v se deluxe, i was wondering if i would have trouble with the a8v asus board with 2 gigs of ram. is this compatible with pro tools or should i just stick with the allenstein machine. id hate to upgrade in a year so i would like to just go with the a8v, much fast and has more ram access and is a better board in general.
1 more question? though im going to do use 2 hard drives, one for programs and one for audio, How important is it to do that? will it give you buffer issues if your running off the same hard drive. Sorry if these questions have been answered, im knew to this forum in which my professor introduced to me after i switched from cubase to pro tools.

Thank you to everyone here and this forum. Looking forward to getting some answers

Musicman
I have only seen one result with the A8V and it was much lower in performance than the K8V with ProTools with the same processor. I'd be using the K8V until we get some more results in on that board. If you do get one get a good return policy with it.
You can use a one drive system as I do right now, and if you hit buffer issues you can always add another drive.

Allen
Old 12-11-2004, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Hello gents,

Once again I find myself considering a Digi002r system. I already have the original "Allenstein" AthlonXP 2500 system for home use but, my employer has graciously provided me with a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. It's a 3.2Ghz P4 1GB RAM and an 80GB hard drive. Not sure what speed its spinning at but it seems to be a pretty quick system. Anybody tried one of these with PTLE?

Thanks,

TG
TG.
You might get lucky and get the one that actually works well with PTLE. The Centrino laptops from Dell work the best and the P4s are hit and miss. I'd definitely start with a fresh reformat of the system drive and installing XP from scratch on this laptop first before giving up on it. Your XP 2500 is probably a better system for ProTools.

Allen
Old 12-12-2004, 03:12 AM

Hi all

Do you have any recommendations for a quiet laptop for my 002r? It doesn't have to be big, super fast (24 chan Davec would do!) or new, as I have a PC for that, but it needs to be portable and quiet. Recording speech in a library stylee. How about a "self noise" heading for laptop test results?

Cheers
Sparks
Old 12-12-2004, 06:13 AM

Anybody think this laptop will work with PTLE? My friend has it and it's so small!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...117-003&depa=1

Tell me what you think.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core