Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 03-24-2015, 02:12 AM

Default C400 - flash/windows sounds crashing - workaround

Hi there,

I've had a problem playing both, my DAW (Cubase) and Windows sounds through my Audio Interface (C400) in Win 8.1. Flash was crashing and the Windows Media player took a minute too load, flash even crashed when I've tried to sign in to soundcloud.

People were suggesting I should use my on board soundcard, but that's not an option because I have only one input in my headamp.

I've tried all kinds of stuff. One thing I did was unplugging all USB devices except the mouse and the keyboard and reinstall everything again. And: IT WORKED, just till the next reboot...

Solution/Workaround:
So what I did was I've deactivated the C400 (speaker) in the audio devices menu and set the C400 Line 1/2 as standard. Et voilà, 90% of the crashes went away. My Fan is quiter, works smoother, my whole DAW is faster.

If you have e better way to solve this, please let me know! I've had a couple of interfaces over the years and none of them had this issues. I hope this is a little help for everyone who's having the same problems and can't find any workaround for this. For me, it's my last product from AVID or M-Audio.

My DAW has already been optimized for audio use.

Cheers,
Composerguy
Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 AM

Default Re: C400 - flash/windows sounds crashing - workaround

I'm not sure what inputs your onboard sound card have, but here's how I connect my gear:

Sound card set as default Windows audio device
Interface (C400) SPDIF out to sound card SPDIF in

This has taken care of these type of problems, and other ASIO issues for me. And all my sound comes from my stereo/monitors I have connected to my sound card.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 AM

Default Re: C400 - flash/windows sounds crashing - workaround

Hey there Joel,

thanks for your input. I don't have any SPDIF outs on my soundcard. Even if there would be one or more, I could only connect it to my Monitors, but not my headamp.

The C400 is a damn fine interface, too bad It's not working properly with my gear.