Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  ē  Community Terms of Use  ē  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  ē  Community Search  ē  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-12-2019, 04:29 AM

Default PT, Macbook Pro, graphics card??

Hi,
I just ordered a refurb 15Ē MBP 2015 2,5ghz with integrated graphics. After my purchase on Apple store, a 2,8ghz with discrete graphics card poped up. Iím a bit lost as to which one to keep.

I mainly use Logic Pro X but iím starting to appreciate PT more and more and after some readings, PT seems to prefer a computer with discrete GPU. With my current computer I noticed that my fans sometimes kick in while using PT, which never happens with Logic. I can only guess thatís because of graphics as the CPU meters are not high in PT window.

Anybody had the chance to compare MBPs with and without discrete GPU while working with PT? Iíd prefer to not open both when I receive them(feel like abusing the system if I do).

Thanks for your time and any insights!! Thereís 600$ difference between both so if I can save that amount if itís not worth it for PT, Iíll jump on the 2,5ghz!!

Blink
Macbook Pro15" i7 w/16Gb ram, Thunderbolt Display, OSX10.14.2, PT 2018.12 Vanilla, Logic Pro X 10.4.4, Apogee Duet iOS/Mac, UAD2 Satellite Quad TB, LaCie ext. SSD, Genelec 8040a, Dave Smith Mopho, Korg Z1ex, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Telecaster, Taylor 110, Komplete 8, Omnisphere 1.5, Korg Legacy Coll., Arturia Moog Modular and Prophet.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:37 PM

Default Re: PT, Macbook Pro, graphics card??

I’ve got a mid 2015 2.2 GHz i7 rMBP with just the CPU based Iris graphics and it runs Pro Tools & Cubase 9.5 Pro just fine. I did some research and it appears that Intel took a fairly big step forward with their integrated graphics about then actually dedicating space on the die for a graphics processor and more importantly dedicating development assets towards same. I’ve always wondered if it might perform better with a dedicated graphics card, but I’ve never seen a problem. I do have 16 Gb of RAM in it, don’t know if it helps, but I would imagine the more RAM the better. YMMV!

PS. I run the HDMI out to a 43” 4K TV/monitor “AT“ 4K resolution and that don’t hurt it none neither.
HD Omni
192 Analog I/O w/additional analog input card
192 Digital I/O
Apogee Rosetta 800/192 KHz and AD16X/192 KHz
Antelope Zen Studio+
Mid-2015 MBP
iPad Pro
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4790K Quad-Core 4.0GHz CPU
32 GB of DDR3 1600
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 Video Card
19" Rack
Crucial SSDs various spinner Drives
OSX 10.9.5 and 10.13.6
Dynaudio BM5 Mk III
Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Default Re: PT, Macbook Pro, graphics card??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
Iíve got a mid 2015 2.2 GHz i7 rMBP with just the CPU based Iris graphics and it runs Pro Tools & Cubase 9.5 Pro just fine. I did some research and it appears that Intel took a fairly big step forward with their integrated graphics about then actually dedicating space on the die for a graphics processor and more importantly dedicating development assets towards same. Iíve always wondered if it might perform better with a dedicated graphics card, but Iíve never seen a problem. I do have 16 Gb of RAM in it, donít know if it helps, but I would imagine the more RAM the better. YMMV!

PS. I run the HDMI out to a 43Ē 4K TV/monitor ďATď 4K resolution and that donít hurt it none neither.
Great news for my wallet!! Thanks for the feedback.

Blink
Macbook Pro15" i7 w/16Gb ram, Thunderbolt Display, OSX10.14.2, PT 2018.12 Vanilla, Logic Pro X 10.4.4, Apogee Duet iOS/Mac, UAD2 Satellite Quad TB, LaCie ext. SSD, Genelec 8040a, Dave Smith Mopho, Korg Z1ex, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Telecaster, Taylor 110, Komplete 8, Omnisphere 1.5, Korg Legacy Coll., Arturia Moog Modular and Prophet.