Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 04-09-2006, 08:29 AM

Default How do you track MIDI into Audio...?!

Ok, this is the problem. I have a Proteus 2000 and i have it running along with V6.9, and am trying to track the MIDI notes i create on Pro Tools onto an audio track. I can create a MIDI section and have it played back from the Proteus no problems, i can hear everything, i know how to track MIDI into audio from Reason, no problem. But when it comes to tracking from and outside module, i just can't seem to figure out how to do it. When i open the MIDI column, i don't even see the E-mu as a MIDI device, i have to click on a Yamaha icon that's there, probably from my Motif, in order to get the MIDI signals through to the Proteus.

So, if anyone could tell me where i'm going wrong and a possible fix, i'd truly appreciate it. I've searched the DUC and can't seem to find a remedy anywhere. Any help is much needed. Thanks...
Old 04-09-2006, 09:05 AM

Default Re: How do you track MIDI into Audio...?!

How are you routing audio from the Proteus? How are you hearing the sounds?

I think you might be trying to make it more complex than it really is; if you are playing the Proteus with MIDI tracks, and you can hear sound from the proteus, recording that audio is as simple as hooking audio cables from the Proteus to your interface, creating an audio track with the input(s) selected, record arming the track and then recording.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-09-2006, 09:16 AM

I have audio cables running from the Proteus into my mbox, that's how i'm able to hear what's going on. I tried to arm record an an audio track that i wanted to the audio to go on, but once i do that and start playback, i get nothing on the meters of the new audio track i just record armed. I really don't see what the problem is, and i'm sure it's something quite simple.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
but once i do that and start playback, i get nothing on the meters of the new audio track i just record armed.
Sounds like you are in auto input mode, which only monitors the inputs while recording. Switch to input only mode (press alt+k).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 AM

SPK, you are a true savior. Thank you much for your time man. Problem very much solved. Now i can get back to doing what we all do best here... Thanks again partner!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
When i open the MIDI column, i don't even see the E-mu as a MIDI device, i have to click on a Yamaha icon that's there, probably from my Motif, in order to get the MIDI signals through to the Proteus.
That's not right.

Mac or PC?

On Mac, in your "Audio MIDI Setup" application, you define your studio layout using synth icons and virtual cables. Pro Tools looks at this to "see" what synth is on what port, and what channels it has available to it. If it's only seeing your Motif, and not your Proteus 2000, then something's not defined properly.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Re: HOW DO I GET A AUDIO SOUND FROM MIDI

HEY I'M WORKING ON A MOTIF ES 8 AND I'M MIDIED TO DIGI 002 AND I'M GETTING MY METERS JUMPING WHEN I'M HITTING MY KEYS ON THE ES8. BUT I HAVE NO SOUND COMING OUT OF MY STODIO MONITORS. I'M USING MIDI TRACKS IN MY SESSION ARE THESE THE RIGHT TRACKS? MY MIDI IN AND OUT LIGHTS ON MY 002 ARE FLASHING CORRECTLY. MY MIDINAME FILE IS RIGHT BUT I WOULD LOVE SOMEONE TO WALK ME THROUGH IT. REALLY NEED YOUR HELP FAST.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:27 PM

TRYOUNG

I take it that your trying to trigger a Virtual Instrument with your keyboard ...right?

Create a Stereo or Mono AUX track
Alt or Option click the fader
Insert a Virtual Instrument of your choice in the AUX track
Create a MIDI track and select that device in the MIDI I/O
Alt or Option +K for Input Only Monitor mode
Record arm the MIDI track

Welcome to the DUC.

p.s. turn your Caps Lock off.

filosofem

Old 04-26-2006, 06:10 PM

hey my friend, okay i have the 002 control surface and i'm working off of windows xp and my keyboard is the yamaha motif es8. and i really need to know how to set my motif to transmit midi to the 002. and once i've done that what tracks do i use in my session. and how do i get the sound out of my speakers. see i've got a midi signal and my control surface is controlling my yamaha. my pacthes are macthing up and every time i hit the keys on my yamaha i can see the meters jumping but i can't get a sound after i have record enabled the track.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:31 PM

TRYOUNG
Quote:
need to know how to set my motif to transmit midi to the 002.
This I do not know, but if your getting a signal, something must be right.
Quote:
but i can't get a sound after i have record enabled the track.
Sorry dude I took your original post to be a VI setup.

filosofem