Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 AM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt disconnecting from Ableton Live 10.x

I haven't tried it in a while, but it has been an ongoing problem with HDX as well. For whatever reason, Ableton Live just drops HDX and shows no audio device being selected. It is weird, as HDX seems to work totally fine with other coreaudio hosts like Reaper, or Izotope RX, or Native Instruments stuff.

My solution has been to just bypass it entirely. I run an optical SPDIF cable out of my mac straight into my Omni, and have the internal mixer setup to automatically deal with routing the signal to the monitors. It isn't ideal if you use outboard or multiple inputs in Ableton, but it works a lot better than HDX does!
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:41 AM

Yup, i read the HDX problems in the forum, but wasn't sure if it was the same problem with HDN.

Thanks for the suggestion but that solution doesn't work for me, i don't have an optical out on imac pro, plus i need all the hardware i/o.
I got this system to solve my i/o hardware problems, instead of doing aggregate drivers but now it can't even run my simple production set-up with live. At least with the previous system i could aggregate all the soundcards, but since one of my converters is HD 16x16, i can't do it anymore since it doesn't have an independent core driver.

Anyway, i was just changing e-mails with support and trying a different set of drivers (didn't work) but i did realize something, it's connected with cpu spikes.
Each time there's a spike, the driver gets booted out of Live. It doesn't happen with other drivers, it just glitches.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:07 PM

I’ve had the same stupid problem and it is totally unworkable. I have found that if you play Ableton Live continuously (clicking on the markers to play previous or later section) without stopping, it seems to disconnect less. But for sure, it is totally annoying and %1000 unacceptable. I’m considering trying a different chassis. I’m currently using a Magma 3T (Thunderbolt 2), considering the Sonnet III-R. Maybe that does something. If not, I may consider just getting an Apollo until the problem gets resolved. I can say that both Avid and Ableton have been zero help. They know it’s an issue and I don’t see them doing anything about it, at least not that they care to share with me. Super disappointing.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Has anyone found a solution for this? I'm still getting booted off of the HDX every half an hour for no apparent reason.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:50 AM

Still having this in 2023 HD Native dropout from Ableton 11 despite much troubleshooting and hardware upgrade to Mac m1 ultra , Monterey , latest PT drivers/ PT and Latest Ableton suite. Device randomly disappears and has to be reselected. No problem with another USB interface. Did anybody get any info on solutions?