Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 06:29 AM

Default Can't record tracks in a routing folder due to latency

Anyone else have this issue? If I have a track in a routing folder, and then want to record to it, the latency is so bad I have to pull it out of the routing folder and send it straight to the master buss. I have this same issue with plugins on the master buss. I have to remove them, especially things like L1.
And yes, I have delay compensation on. Pro tools 2020.12 on a mac 10.14.6 using hdx.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Can't record tracks in a routing folder due to latency

Take a look at the delay compensation view in the mix window, that will tell you exactly what's going on with your routing folder - the routing folder is just like an aux and if you're routing a record track through it it will still be compensating for latency of other tracks.

Instantiating high latency plugins on a master fader while recording is never a good idea.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
And yes, I have delay compensation on. Pro tools 2020.12 on a mac 10.14.6 using hdx.
Right... Plug-ins on a Master track are not delay compensated.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-01-2021, 08:32 AM

Its not whether Delay Comp is enabled, its how much delay needs to be compensated for(showing the numbers is the way to find out). Remember that Delay Comp works by finding the track with the highest latency and then making all other tracks LATER to match(so it doesn't make latency disappear).

As said, latency on a MASTER track is not compensated for(because it doesn't need to be under normal circumstances). Some like to work with mastering plugins in place(a bad idea IMHO), and since many of those have huge latency, the solution is to make them inactive while recording. This same solution applies to plugins on AUDIO and AUX/FOLDER tracks too.

There is also a known bug when routing thru multiple AUX tracks where the built-up latency may not be compensated for properly(that may or may not apply in this case, but it is something to be aware of and listen for)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Take a look at the delay compensation view in the mix window, that will tell you exactly what's going on with your routing folder - the routing folder is just like an aux and if you're routing a record track through it it will still be compensating for latency of other tracks.

Instantiating high latency plugins on a master fader while recording is never a good idea.
Thanks, yes i'm aware of the master buss thing. I get rid of them before i do any recording. But I have NO plugins on my folder and the delay is massive. It's just being routed. Very strange, bc if I just route to a regular aux there's no issues at all. It's ONLY through a routed folder.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks, yes i'm aware of the master buss thing. I get rid of them before i do any recording. But I have NO plugins on my folder and the delay is massive. It's just being routed. Very strange, bc if I just route to a regular aux there's no issues at all. It's ONLY through a routed folder.
Hmmm, that gets a bit more interesting. Check for any send that doesn't actually go anywhere. That can cause over 1900 samples of bogus Delay Comp(making rows of sends inactive and testing will reveal this) as soon as you put a track in record-ready. Show Delay Comp and watch the numbers while you click record buttons and see if the numbers suddenly jump.

Knowing that^^^ might also spur some deeper testing because, while I never record with AUDIO tracks that route thru AUX tracks(Routing Folders would act the same), it might actually be possible that there are other ways to confuse PT. I guess the temp solution is to route recording tracks directly to the main outs(I know...I PITA when all you want to do is lay down some audio).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-02-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
On your routing folder are there other tracks in that folder with high-latency plugs on them?

As a troubleshooting step: What about if the track in question is the *only* track in the routing folder?

Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 PM

"The latency is so bad"... yes but you should measure exactly what the latency is in # samples (and tell us the sample rate) and that often gives a clue to the source.

"... is just an aux..." ... and we know how aux's can add huge latency with high latency domain buffering on native systems. So is this behaving like that... are there native plugins in this signal path? Is it possible this is in disk playback/high latency domain buffer?... so 2K or whatever hardware buffer latency (depends on the sample rate... which you don't tell us) plus possibly some plugin delay?
Old 03-03-2021, 06:51 AM

A (full res) screenshot of the mix window with ADC view enabled will probably help

Old 03-03-2021, 07:08 AM

Sounds like you have no plugins in the routing path? (Beginning to end, not just the one routing folder)

I suspect the same as albee. More specifically- make sure the armed track doesn't have a send going to an inactive track or buss or output. I record exclusively to tracks that are inside routing folders but I'm also meticulous about only using 0 latency plugins during tracking.