Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 AM

Default Pro tools doesn't know when to stop!

Has anyone else had this?

I'm recording, in this case a piano, into protools. I make a rare mistake and press space bar to stop and protools decides it wants to keep recording for anything up to 3 minutes. If I hit the space bar twice, or any other command, it will happen but after the delay.

This seems to happen only after recording.

There are several peculiar things about this:

1) It is intermittent, sometimes its 5 seconds, sometimes 3 minutes, sometimes instant - even in the same session.
2) It has happened before to a previous computer (which was getting on a bit) - I just got sick of the problem and bought a new computer. I also saw it happen to an HD system at a session I wasn't engineering at.
3) My system isn't new but it should be powerful enough - its a G5 desktop dual 2ghz running a relatively small session with no or few plugins. And its been very reliable in sessions running 10 times the processing power.
4) Its only just started to happen - I've had the computer for 3 years and its been a rock.

I have installed pt8 recently, could that be it?
Could it be my drive or some dodgy RAM? (I have 10.5Gb)
Its driving me crazy as its ruining my workflow. Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Pro tools doesn't know when to stop!

Could it be a sticky space bar? The cheap fix would be clean the keyboard, or try another. (My old Quadra and G4 both had problems with the "p" key sticking. A thorough cleaning solved it.)

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 10-05-2009, 05:12 AM

No cos it registers the stop command but hesitates in responding to it. If it were sticky it would just work sometimes and not others.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 AM

I once saw that happen on a PC. Each time I inserted an instance of Reason in Sonar it did not stop at the end of the session. Maybe it is a plugin.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Could be your Harddisk almost full.

One of my Client's System had similar problem you have. I went to check it. I found his Harddisk only left 4Gb space of his System and the Recording volumn harddisk. After I clean up the harddisk space, it work very smooth.

Mostly I use 80% of the Harddisk's space.

MacPro 2.26Ghz x 8 core 64GB Ram, HDX2, HD I/O 8x8x8, HD I/O Digital x 2, 192 I/O Digital x 2, Sync HD, Blackmagic video generator, Decklink Extreme 3D+card
Yamaha DM2000, TC electronic M5000 Fully loaded + MD2
Dolby Atmos production

Movie soundtrack composing