Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on El Capitan

Well, Im glad I didnt wait for those damn drivers and got myself a focusrite 2pre, its sad to see a company pull stuff like this, all I can say is **** YOU AVID! You lost a good number of customers with this ****.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:20 PM

Same for me :-( I've been waiting many months because hearing nothing form AVID supposed me to receive a driver update in the future. It's a shame that it takes AVID months to communicate that the Fast Track Ultra 8R is no longer supported. I think if they did announce this immediately I wouldn't be that angry. It's normal that after x years support is suspended for legacy products (discussing about life circle times especially when using Macs is another topic ;-) But leaving me in a waiting position for months with a no longer working interface ... blame on you, AVID. I bought a Steinberg UR44 which works great.

Goodbye.
Dietmar Harms
Old 02-28-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietmar.Harms View Post
I bought a Steinberg UR44 which works great.
Same as mine! Very nice interface! :)
Old 03-20-2016, 07:53 AM

Like the 1000's of other people who will never be buying AVID products again, I am moving on.

An interpretation of "support" that does not include driver support is not really "support" at all. This should be pretty obvious, and anyone arguing otherwise is a company stooge. Oh, great, they'll support the hardware on my brick. What amazing "support"!

I wonder if there is any way to get a class action lawsuit put together that addresses this issue.

I suppose most won't have the time or resources and instead will do what I, and from reading this thread ALL other AVID legacy product owners have done. Just leave the AVID community for good (I've always thought Logic is just as good if not better than protools anyways).

My Focusrite interface is already on order. I was such a big supporter of M-audio products for the past 10-15 years. Too bad the big bad wolf had to blow their house down and eat them up.

Bye bye Avid.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:05 AM

Just joined in the community just to express my total disappointment for Avid and El Capitan drivers...... where is the "world class avid support" ????? They will not get a penny more from me and I join the others by saying...

Bye bye Avid! Shame on you!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:48 PM

One more moving to another brand. Bought a Steinberg UR44 through Amazon. It's really a shame that Avid simply ignore a lot of users. Of course, will never buy anything from them anymore.

A very unsatisfied customer from Brazil!!!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 AM

I will Join the ranks of folks that will not support Avid products now that they've chosen to dump support in El Capitan for M-audio Fast Track Ultra 8r. I purchased a Focusrite 18i20 to replace it. It almost identical in all ports and features. Shame on you Avid for not supporting the product that chose to bury......
Old 05-07-2016, 05:49 PM

Hi All, I want to share my little experience :

not than I'm surprised another software company abandons a 7 years old line of products, "recently acquired", but they should at least have a little consideration for all the posts around here. But... I don't like loosing my time and my nerves on people who just work for money.

So, I did it my own way, since they don't even provide us with the source code for their sofware (driver + preferences panel), I gave a shot to the workaround "Fast Track Pro" users successfully used : remove all m-audio stuff, and rely on the apple default usb audio driver. To no avail, like everybody.

So I noticed the Fast Track Ultra was detected on low level usb, visible in system profiler : something was preventing the m-audio software to access it.

I launched a windows virtual OS 8.1, inside El Capitan, and I was able to install the preferences panel in windows, and access and control the card. But the usb endpoint created inside windows is not accessible inside El Capitan, so not usable on the system level. I tried routing the signal out, with the help of virtual audio driver, it worked in and out, but to the amount of almost all CPU ressources. Sweet...

So, the Ultra works in yosemite, and also ,through a virtual windows OS, inside El Capitan.

I did a kextlibs command on the m-audio loaded driver in Yosemite : it lists depedencies to IOAudioFamily.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext and basic system kexts.

So I gave a shot : I replaced (first backed up) the 2 El Capitan kexts by these 2 ones from Yosemite, fail again. Plus my other usb devices were messed up.

I dived a little more, and found El Capitan has brought a new way of handling USB through kexts, and IOUSBFamily.kext is now replaced by itself plus IOUSBHostFamily.kext. So I backed up this kext too, to avoid El Capitan to load it instead of the Yosemite version of IOUSBFamily.kext.

And... VOILA !

I'm not sure the IOAudioFamily.kext needs to be reversed to Yosemite version, and my El Capitan OS is now a bit less genuine BUT
the Fast Track Ultra works as supposed too !!!

Just sharing in case you're still waiting for a solution (!!!)
Old 05-15-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveiro View Post
Hi All, I want to share my little experience :

not than I'm surprised another software company abandons a 7 years old line of products, "recently acquired", but they should at least have a little consideration for all the posts around here. But... I don't like loosing my time and my nerves on people who just work for money.

So, I did it my own way, since they don't even provide us with the source code for their sofware (driver + preferences panel), I gave a shot to the workaround "Fast Track Pro" users successfully used : remove all m-audio stuff, and rely on the apple default usb audio driver. To no avail, like everybody.

So I noticed the Fast Track Ultra was detected on low level usb, visible in system profiler : something was preventing the m-audio software to access it.

I launched a windows virtual OS 8.1, inside El Capitan, and I was able to install the preferences panel in windows, and access and control the card. But the usb endpoint created inside windows is not accessible inside El Capitan, so not usable on the system level. I tried routing the signal out, with the help of virtual audio driver, it worked in and out, but to the amount of almost all CPU ressources. Sweet...

So, the Ultra works in yosemite, and also ,through a virtual windows OS, inside El Capitan.

I did a kextlibs command on the m-audio loaded driver in Yosemite : it lists depedencies to IOAudioFamily.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext and basic system kexts.

So I gave a shot : I replaced (first backed up) the 2 El Capitan kexts by these 2 ones from Yosemite, fail again. Plus my other usb devices were messed up.

I dived a little more, and found El Capitan has brought a new way of handling USB through kexts, and IOUSBFamily.kext is now replaced by itself plus IOUSBHostFamily.kext. So I backed up this kext too, to avoid El Capitan to load it instead of the Yosemite version of IOUSBFamily.kext.

And... VOILA !

I'm not sure the IOAudioFamily.kext needs to be reversed to Yosemite version, and my El Capitan OS is now a bit less genuine BUT
the Fast Track Ultra works as supposed too !!!

Just sharing in case you're still waiting for a solution (!!!)
Hi!

Can you please give detailled instructions to do this?

Thx

Last edited by lainol; 05-15-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainol View Post
Hi!

Can you please give detailled instructions to do this?

Thx
You'll find further information on insanelymac forum :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top.../#entry2238873