Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-21-2003, 08:50 AM

Default Is there a way to Bounce down at a different tempo?

I’m preparing my first Project for Mastering. I want to bounce my mixes down to 24 bit 48k AIFF files. A friend is using the Alesis Masterlink and wants me to deliver 24 bit 48k files using Alesis CD24 conversion sofware. The problem is that I would like to tweak the tempo of some songs, and have the tempo changes reflected in my bounces. How do I bounce down at a different tempo? I can use my ADAT BRC’s sync out to send a MTC sync to act as an External clock for Pro Tools and change the tempo of my playback, but this has no effect when it come to bouncing down the tracks (they seem to bounce at the Internal clock speed they were recorded at). I want to maintain the 24 bits, so I can’t just send my tempo-adjusted playback out the SP/DIF to my CD burner. I really don’t care about pitch correcting the tempo changes (they're not too drastic) and I don’t want to use the Audiosuite Time/Compression plug-in across the final mixes. Thanks to all for any help on this one!
Old 05-21-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to Bounce down at a different tempo?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingpin:
I don’t want to use the Audiosuite Time/Compression plug-in across the final mixes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that's very unfortunate for you because its the best (and probably the only) way to do it... bounce at 24/48, import into a new session, apply the time stretch, then export the region as an audio file.

i guess you can always record it to a 4 track recorder. most of them have some kind of pitch control that speeds or slows the tape. then record it back into PT at the slower speed...
Old 05-21-2003, 03:33 PM

Thanks BaSsTaRd,
I had been misinformed that using the Audiosuite Time/Compression plug-in on the whole mix would add a noticable processed sound to my mix. I tried it this afternoon per your suggestion and was able to speed things up a tad (about 3 or 4 BPM) without affecting the sound quality. A followup question though. The PT Plugins Guide suggests normalizing before using the Time/Compression. In your experience does that yield the best results, or does it change the sound of your mixes? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:18 PM

don't normalize anything. that will bring up the noise floor of your mix. did it really say to normalize before using TCE in a digi manual?

some people don't like the digirack TCE, but i think it works great. i tried a demo of pitch n time and it made drum transients sound like they had severe mp3 compression on them. that doesn't happen with the digirack TCE.