Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:52 AM
PatriotsBiker PatriotsBiker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 815
Default Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

Does anyone know of a good fiddle VI? I have a 70's style Country song that I feel needs one in the worst way. I have a Morrell Custom 6 Lap Steel coming, but I'm afraid a Fiddle would place me wayyyyyyyyyy out of my element.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 AM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,109
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

For a soloist role I would try to find a real guy, have you heard of Kompoz?
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools Software 2019
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2019, 05:59 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 15,989
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

East West Ra has a hardanger fiddle but it ain't cheap. It runs in their Play engine.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Cowboy Bob's Avatar
Cowboy Bob Cowboy Bob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 327
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

You could try one of the solo violin VIs from either UVI or EW. They both work pretty well but you'll need to shape the sound considerably to make it convincing, especially if you want the "twin fiddle" sound.

I bought a cheap violin for my grandson to take lessons on, then when he got more into it, I got that violin back. I have used that on occasion, but am more comfortable with the VIs for that part of it.

Or yes, Kompoz may be an option as well as https://soundbetter.com/. Usually about the price of a plugin.
__________________
Squaw Creek Road Studio
Bob
Pro Tools (current version)| Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Sibelius Ultimate (current version)
| 3.5GHz quad-core i7 iMac w/32GB RAM | macOS High Sierra |

Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:47 AM
PatriotsBiker PatriotsBiker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 815
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
You could try one of the solo violin VIs from either UVI or EW. They both work pretty well but you'll need to shape the sound considerably to make it convincing, especially if you want the "twin fiddle" sound.

I bought a cheap violin for my grandson to take lessons on, then when he got more into it, I got that violin back. I have used that on occasion, but am more comfortable with the VIs for that part of it.

Or yes, Kompoz may be an option as well as https://soundbetter.com/. Usually about the price of a plugin.
I failed miserably when trying to make various generic violin VIs work.

Thanks for the other tips, too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:23 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 15,989
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I failed miserably when trying to make various generic violin VIs work.

Thanks for the other tips, too.
Multiple causes for that. One of which is playing style; another is the construction of the instrument. Some fiddles are built stronger because some players use steel strings and not gut.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:43 AM
PatriotsBiker PatriotsBiker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 815
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
East West Ra has a hardanger fiddle but it ain't cheap. It runs in their Play engine.
That East West name keeps popping up on other things over and over. I'll check that instrument(series?) out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:42 AM
PatriotsBiker PatriotsBiker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 815
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
For a soloist role I would try to find a real guy, have you heard of Kompoz?
I have not. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 AM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,109
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

What about this
https://www.expressivee.com/arche-co...store=world_en
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools Software 2019
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2019, 11:55 PM
Emcha_audio's Avatar
Emcha_audio Emcha_audio is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal, canada
Posts: 6,325
Default Re: Anyone know of a good Fiddle VI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Does anyone know of a good fiddle VI? I have a 70's style Country song that I feel needs one in the worst way. I have a Morrell Custom 6 Lap Steel coming, but I'm afraid a Fiddle would place me wayyyyyyyyyy out of my element.
East west Gypsy has a pretty good fidle style violin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecsJSTE-ztA not the best demo, i've made better for songs.

8dio also has a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZm9_wlMgPs
__________________
Manny.

#BOYCOTTTUSPRODUCTS

just not Pro tools and compatible plugins...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a Fiddle player in LA DrFord General Discussion 7 09-07-2010 07:44 PM
Fiddle anyone?????? danander11 Virtual Instruments 8 01-14-2010 07:29 PM
Mic'ing help - fiddle fiddler69 Tips & Tricks 7 08-16-2007 01:00 AM
A Scratchy Fiddle... bigcow 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 3 03-12-2004 07:08 AM
Recording Fiddle Beegster Tips & Tricks 9 04-16-2001 08:02 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com